1 of 2 - read this 1st - rented Camaro USA

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
Hi guys,

Story Part 1 of 2.

Was in USA on business mid August, Portland Oregon, AVIS car rental says out of stock, then I ask for Camaro? and surprisingly got it, with US$ 100 discount some more. But don't know this next point is good luck or not? which is it's convertible :), so sexy !!!

I asked for Yellow color with racing stripe and the rental staff a women of 50s laugh out me and the other girl at next counter nothing to do also laughed, when I said come USA must drive bumble bee, I'm transformer fan. hahhahahahaah.

Anyway, it's left hand drive lah USA, luckily it's Automatic transmission with steering gear shifter :). First time for me also.

Obviously couldn't drive in the middle of the lane, right side tires always stepping on the white line. Passengers had to remind me time to time. Anyway, it's HARD, must use a lot of attention and must constant remind myself and must constantly AIM a point of the car front left light or corner against the road's left white line, then constantly looking both side mirrors to gauge. Anyway, it's not natural to be in middle.

I tried manually changing gears, when in city/town, lots of traffic, lots of traffic lights, impossible for me. Got to admit my skill or talent or natural instinct. Luckily got a automatic in left hand drive conditions.

Tried touge manually, also impossible, quickly turn back to auto then can relax and enjoy and play.

First part story ends.

Edit - rental costs US$ 350/day, every dam thing in, insurance for multiple drivers, total lost coverage, lost / theft, windscreen. Already discounted, but at high season. The GPS is the stupidest add-on, because the car already had it.

Other big rental like Subaru Outback or Nissan Sylphy costs US$ 350/2 days. Hence the Camaro isn't expensive until out of reach.

Finally on a low season, Toyota Aygo tiny car costs US$ 150/week. Dam cheap.

Last edited:

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
2 of 2 - hardest driving conditions for me!!!

HI guys,

hihi, again some appetizer stories :).

Driving the 86 in Japan was like in KL, 99.99% natural, because even the lights, signal, wipers all same places. Just like driving any other Toyota for so many years. None of the worries listed below. My hardest driving condition experience and never ever want to try it again. But before that, some real stories to raise adrenaline !!!!

I'm now in Denmark on business, renting BMW 316e by mistake :(, then 2nd mistake when I collect the car is DIESEL, red line at 5.5k rpm only. Finally 3rd mistake is it's MANUAL !!!! OMG !!!! Need to LEFT HAND DRIVE and do manual transmission is first time in my life. So concern if my right hand and shift as good as left hand. Psychological burden suddenly risen so much !!!!

Remember my weakness in USA drive, can't drive in center of line naturally :( :( :(. Can't even manual naturally on a automatic with gear shifter, Now must real manual shift some more :( :( :(

Anyway, first day driving in Denmark already got flashed by Police from behind, but they overtook me rushing somewhere else, phew, lucky.

2nd day driving traffic jam in highway, because ......... highway digital symbol board annouce 6km in front a car tip over, a triagle with a car inside tip 90 degrees, sitting on the door with all 4 doors pointed left. I didn't see the car, police force all of the us off the highway at next junction.

OK, real story starts, passage is from KØbanhavn through Øresund_Bridge to Sweden's LUND, Øresund Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Difficult conditions: -
1) left hand drive - need high concentration to be middle, lucky got training from USA a bit. Helped a lot.
2) manual transmission :( - !!!!
3) cross the LONG range bridge.
4) the wind was moving the car a lot seriously :( - !!!, when crossing the tiny thin beams/cable, the car wiggle every time. When a van catch up and overtakes me, my car gets slowed down, pulled back, suck back for a while, when it completely passed, then my normal speed re-plunges out, shoots forward a bit more. Hate it.

Had to use full strength to hold the steering until no strength left because bridge range too long. Just when I thought it's the most difficult, nothing more.

5) at night drive (didn't think was hard until you experience it in Denmark, their catseye night signs are not as good as Japan.)
6) RAINING !!!!!!

wiper blades moving slow is a hinder, moving fast is a hinder, imagine all 6 things add together on a road never driven before !!!

I never ever want to do it again.

Difficult conditions end.

Last story (highlight).
Traffic jam again on return journey. This time I saw a car TURTLE, up side down. For real !!!! Right after exiting the tunnel. Lesson to be learnt, don't play play, even for locals. I think it's the night, wind and lastly rain that caused it.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

‎20% OFF MEGUIARS 3-STEP GLOSS POLISH

Richer, deeper looking colours and a lustrous long lasting mirror-like finish
NP:RM200 NOW:RM160
Email or phone booking only
...On site service also available
email:[email protected]
hp:016-3458309(johnny)
Find us on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Selangor-Malaysia/SUMMER-CAR-WASH-AND-POLISH-CENTRE/67869124609?ref=ts
Follow us by http://twitter.com/summercarwash
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience