what can i do for automatic gearbox ???

charles_ko7

Known Member
May 10, 2006
my ride is proton WAJA automatic , so i need to overhaul my gearbox now, can i

know got any performance part is fit to it ?

example like : limited slip dirffer { LSD}

or some sport clutch like that,

or any final drive ?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
all u can do is... change transmission oil...
or unless u wanna mess with the gear ratios and so on...

LSD is called limited slip differential... as the name goes, it limits the slip between left n right tyre during turning, thus putting down more friction and grip onto the road, thus better acceleration out from the corner.... i'm not sure waja gearbox has any compatible aftermarket LSD or not....

racing clutch??... u can forget about it... auto tranny dont have clutch... it has a torque converter instead....

Jan 22, 2007
Kota Kinabalu
im using auto also...but come to think again..wanna swap to manual...but they said the performance from changing auto to manual should be not far...more or less the same...dont know if its true or not...bla bla bla....have to wait my auto gearbpx malfunction then will go to manual....my personal opinion...fc for auto and manual just the same...i think auto much better than manual..but have to consider the way u drive lar...still for now...i prefer my gsr to be in auto....pickup?huhu yup...very lame...but after a while...sure the same like manual one...ohh ya Fc when driving on high slopes...hills...heheh....beware!!....auto drinks fuels like beers....ahahah

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
Waja GB very expensive.. wan to do anything better think twice.. good luck..

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
im using auto also...but come to think again..wanna swap to manual...but they said the performance from changing auto to manual should be not far...more or less the same...dont know if its true or not...bla bla bla....have to wait my auto gearbpx malfunction then will go to manual....my personal opinion...fc for auto and manual just the same...i think auto much better than manual..but have to consider the way u drive lar...still for now...i prefer my gsr to be in auto....pickup?huhu yup...very lame...but after a while...sure the same like manual one...ohh ya Fc when driving on high slopes...hills...heheh....beware!!....auto drinks fuels like beers....ahahah
auto has the highest rate of transmission loss, and it's a proven fact, manual is the best power to ground agent you could afford to have at the moment, unless u wan talk bout F1 technology that'll be different thing altogether, and the gearbox itself will cost u a few skylines.....do remember some special gearbox like dogbox and or WRC gearbox will cost a BIG BOMB too, which is y i said we can't compare, back to apple to apple comparison.....

there's one thing i can tell u is that, if u change auto to manual, not only u'll feel the power but u could prove it under dyno as well.... or a simple way if u have an RSM, clock ur current 0-400meter with auto, then 0-400m again with manual, manual will always win.....

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
auto transmission has more loss due to the torque converter.
its like a fan blowing another fan that drives a shaft.

but one thing most ppl not aware is GEARBOX RATIO.

the ratio for AT is suited to AT and MT to MT. so thats why
some ppl said after convert from AT to MT for that engine,
it feels the s a m e.....

and for example waja AT vs waja MT if Proton tuned
the ratio properly, both can be same performance..
but AT will be higher FC a bit...

my 2 sen nia.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Instead of changing parts and all, why not install a proper gearbox cooler, use good transmission fluid and rev the gearbox kaokao. Hehe

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
auto transmission has more loss due to the torque converter.
its like a fan blowing another fan that drives a shaft.

but one thing most ppl not aware is GEARBOX RATIO.

the ratio for AT is suited to AT and MT to MT. so thats why
some ppl said after convert from AT to MT for that engine,
it feels the s a m e.....

and for example waja AT vs waja MT if Proton tuned
the ratio properly, both can be same performance..
but AT will be higher FC a bit...

my 2 sen nia.
lol, set aside gear ratios apart for now, mr. guest is jus asking for performance, or unless mr. guest or our mr. waja bros here wanna completely disassemble the entire gearbox and customize the gear ratios and maybe with a higher final drive like competing in a true 400m drag, we're trying not to confuse them.... ur going back to the topic of designing a gearbox with good gear ratios and yes maybe nextime lotus can fine tune the gear ratios for the next gen waja, maybe mr. waja will like to find a gearbox service factory to overhaul and recustomized the entire gear ratios just to beat a manual which i'm not sure what could be their intention despite a very good effort with the least value for money involved......... however as mentioned for the least transmission loss and for the best performance manual is still unbeatable in dyno figures or 400m or anything or any test that could be measured against performance.... but apple to apple, same parameters, same engine, same mod, both in good healthy condition, stock original auto vs manual gear ratio, no more no less....

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
however as mentioned for the least transmission loss and for the best performance manual is still unbeatable in dyno figures or 400m or anything or any test that could be measured against performance.... but apple to apple, same parameters, same engine, same mod, both in good healthy condition, stock original auto vs manual gear ratio, no more no less....
MT is the best power transmission. yes no doubt. what im pointing out is that, if u have a AT car, and you changed to MT, does not necessarily become more powerful. thats all my point. sorry if u or others have minsunderstood.

Jan 22, 2007
Kota Kinabalu
auto has the highest rate of transmission loss, and it's a proven fact, manual is the best power to ground agent you could afford to have at the moment, unless u wan talk bout F1 technology that'll be different thing altogether, and the gearbox itself will cost u a few skylines.....do remember some special gearbox like dogbox and or WRC gearbox will cost a BIG BOMB too, which is y i said we can't compare, back to apple to apple comparison.....

there's one thing i can tell u is that, if u change auto to manual, not only u'll feel the power but u could prove it under dyno as well.... or a simple way if u have an RSM, clock ur current 0-400meter with auto, then 0-400m again with manual, manual will always win.....

hehe...nice nice...so bro..if i change my auto gsr to manual...what gearbox would be the best for me?beside using the gsr one...how about evo?FC would be high?because some says that at 5th gear..the evo ratio(short) would bring more than 3.5k rpm on 110km..+ some say when auto change to manual...would got many problem..sometimes after step the clutch the car would idel...bla bla bla....is it true?so say jest leave the auto to auto to limit the future problem....is it true?

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
U can always rebuild it with performance ceramic clutches. I rebuild mine for RM 5k. Now, after full service with 100% fully-synth ATF, virtually no slip n has really good torque on 2nd and 3rd gear. Will dyno car in a few days from now. Previously, I've got 156hp on wheel. Hopefully now will obtain even higher due to less slip.

Plus, u can also opt for a 3rd party tranny controller to enable paddle-shift-like function. However, it is not for all cars.

Migrating to manual is not always an answer for everyone. Even in the US, those muscle cars are auto and most owners opt for rebuilt the tranny to take 500hp to 800hp.

On top of that, a turbo-charged auto car is always fun to drive... just jab the pedal n watch others trying to catch up. Otherwise, those with Caldinas n Airtreks would never mod their cars.

davidv00

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2006
Selangor
frankly speaking, auto tranny can do alot of magical stuff but can't go far enough if same modifications compared with a manual trans.

for Waja, one famous place you should visit is FTD (full throttle dev), located behind Ah Heng exhaust USJ. they done lots of modifications on AT for WPC members if not mistaken.

but using good ATF oil, ATF cooler and a nice piggy back is a good way to start, equipped with CAI and exhaust setup, you will have a better AT than those Wajas stock standard on the road.

further enhancement would be playing with lighten crank pulley, lighten flywheel, retard camshaft, adjustable lighten cam pulley and port n polish... what i am trying to say is NA Power mods.

for FI (forced induction), i do recommend run it on a MT gb is better.

my 2 cents, i could be wrong, all sifus can correct me. thank you for reading my little opinions.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear all.. I used Ford Escape 2.0XLT year 2001. This problem happened since 2 weeks ago. Before this when i fill full tank my car can reach about 560km (est.) but now i only can reach around 310km..My service record all is on time and i just replace my spark plug and service throttle body but the problem still happened. The idling sometimes can go till 2500 without press the paddle..Need help from all..:confused:..:banghead:...:nurse:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience