New Turbo VW Vento priced between RM80-90K, launches next week!

kcng

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2008
Selangor
kcng1983.blogspot.com
on a serious note... when people complain about the DSG7, has they look into understanding how DSG is supposed to work or do they just drive it like a normal torque converter automatic?

Izso knows how often i trashed and tracked my DSG7 and i think he is surprised that its still standing up to my abuse on a daily basis...

correct me if i am wrong CK...
haha....

RM 50k?
Want?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
on a serious note... when people complain about the DSG7, has they look into understanding how DSG is supposed to work or do they just drive it like a normal torque converter automatic?

Izso knows how often i trashed and tracked my DSG7 and i think he is surprised that its still standing up to my abuse on a daily basis...

correct me if i am wrong CK...
haha....

RM 50k?
Want?
In all honesty if I were in a better financial position I'd sell the STD and buy over your car for 45k :rofl:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
enlighten us, how one should treat the DSG7

I heard from ericmaxmann, that owners should go full manual especially in traffic as to not allow DSG to continuously hunt for the next gear

Last edited by a moderator:

kcng

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2008
Selangor
kcng1983.blogspot.com
In all honesty if I were in a better financial position I'd sell the STD and buy over your car for 45k :rofl:
45k without the BBK and coilovers... but the rest remains...
ok?

:biggrin:

enlighten us, how one should treat the DSG7

I heard from ericmaxmann, that owners should go full manual especially in traffic as to not allow DSG to continuously hunt for the next gear
from my limited experience... i notice that the DSG7 up-shift to D2 even on speed as slow as 4 km/h.
So if we look at this scenario from a manual car point of view, if we are to use 2nd gear in such low speed, we will most likely be half-clutching right to prevent the car from stalling?

and what happens if u keep half-clutching? heats build up and until a certain level your clutch will start slipping and finally give-up altogether until u cool it down... (those stuck in jam going up genting will know..)

so being a dry-clutch unit... if u keep letting the DSG7 half-clutch, u get heat build-up in the clutch and this causes the Mechatronic "Shift-piston" to not be able to engage properly (as metal expands on heat) and by forcing the "shift-piston" thru the opening, chances are that this action causes the "shift-piston" to bend or displaced thus signalling the end of the road for this mecha unit.
(That is why on DSG7, on slow speed if u are to wind down the window, u will be able to hear "clark-clark sound" coming from the engine bay.. that is basically the DSG7 mecha shifting/engaging).

(Another factor could be the heat build-up causes the solenoids drivers to fry thus ending the life of the mecha, but this is just purely my theory)

so by going manual, u are only engaging D1 and not allowing the gearbox to upshift to D2 and by this u lower the period the gearbox is spent "half-clutching" and thus reducing the heat amount built-up.

now mineral oil is claimed to solve the problem question.
in my opinion, mineral oil is thicker and running thicker oil usually means you can tolerate higher heat... (that is why track car uses Xw50 or Xw60...)
so by putting mineral oil, it is hope that DSG7 will be able to have higher heat level toleration and thus minimizing the chances of failure. the trade-off in this is that u will get slightly slower shift-time.

that is my 2 cents view sorely based on my limited experience with my own DSG7...
:adore:

P/S - if they claim to have a revised mecha for the Jetta CKD DSG7 compared to the CBU, i have backend proof that they are basically the same unit, with difference only in Serial Number, Manufacturer Number, Date and Flash Tool Code.

Last edited:

kcng

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2008
Selangor
kcng1983.blogspot.com
PP/S - I am not trying to imply that the DSG7 is godlike, but rather with properly adapted driving pattern, u will be able to take better care of it and thus pro-long its usage and durability...

:driver:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
from my limited experience... i notice that the DSG7 up-shift to D2 even on speed as slow as 4 km/h.
So if we look at this scenario from a manual car point of view, if we are to use 2nd gear in such low speed, we will most likely be half-clutching right to prevent the car from stalling?

and what happens if u keep half-clutching? heats build up and until a certain level your clutch will start slipping and finally give-up altogether until u cool it down... (those stuck in jam going up genting will know..)

so being a dry-clutch unit... if u keep letting the DSG7 half-clutch, u get heat build-up in the clutch and this causes the Mechatronic "Shift-piston" to not be able to engage properly (as metal expands on heat) and by forcing the "shift-piston" thru the opening, chances are that this action causes the "shift-piston" to bend or displaced thus signalling the end of the road for this mecha unit.
(That is why on DSG7, on slow speed if u are to wind down the window, u will be able to hear "clark-clark sound" coming from the engine bay.. that is basically the DSG7 mecha shifting/engaging).

(Another factor could be the heat build-up causes the solenoids drivers to fry thus ending the life of the mecha, but this is just purely my theory)

so by going manual, u are only engaging D1 and not allowing the gearbox to upshift to D2 and by this u lower the period the gearbox is spent "half-clutching" and thus reducing the heat amount built-up.

now mineral oil is claimed to solve the problem question.
in my opinion, mineral oil is thicker and running thicker oil usually means you can tolerate higher heat... (that is why track car uses Xw50 or Xw60...)
so by putting mineral oil, it is hope that DSG7 will be able to have higher heat level toleration and thus minimizing the chances of failure. the trade-off in this is that u will get slightly slower shift-time.

that is my 2 cents view sorely based on my limited experience with my own DSG7...
:adore:

P/S - if they claim to have a revised mecha for the Jetta CKD DSG7 compared to the CBU, i have backend proof that they are basically the same unit, with difference only in Serial Number, Manufacturer Number, Date and Flash Tool Code.

Very interesting kcng, thanks for sharing with us your findings. This post deserves a thread on its own as a reference

I can relate to the low speed 2nd gear situation you mentioned and yes, the clutch would likely part engage to deal with the low revs for the said gear number.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
PP/S - I am not trying to imply that the DSG7 is godlike, but rather with properly adapted driving pattern, u will be able to take better care of it and thus pro-long its usage and durability...

:driver:
DSG7 and you got good matching......hhahhahahahha:driver:

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
he got it figured out i guess, doesn't seemed abnormal to me and kcng explanation is very good. lets just embrace the good technical explanation rather than flabbergasting state of mind

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

currently using L5 kit boost at 0.9 1 bar like tat.

then..... edi change the fuel pump n injector...
piston skim edi...

using EMS MT4.

when tarik rpm till high... abt 5/6K like that..
will keluar sikit bunyi macam besi ketuk besi...

how come like that....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience