evo 3 to overhaul or not

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys,

I'm wondering whether my car to be overhauled or not. The milleage is around 250000km. There's no anykind of white smoke , but the problem is now after a hard drive or long drive the engine seems to be rough and noisy abit, and now I'm thinking maybe it needs an overhaul since the engine is nearly 20years , pls advise on this guys, is it worth it or spend the money somewhere else

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I'm new school.

It's 20 years old, it's running rough and parts are pretty much wear and tear. I say if you have the money - change out all the oil seals, gaskets and do a top overhaul or if you can afford it full overhaul. But get a reliable mech la.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
just use better oil quality....

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I'm new school.

It's 20 years old, it's running rough and parts are pretty much wear and tear. I say if you have the money - change out all the oil seals, gaskets and do a top overhaul or if you can afford it full overhaul. But get a reliable mech la.
bro Izso, any ballpark figure if doing full oberhaul? if not expensive, can include stroker kit...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I'm new school.

Any rough estimation of top overhaul and full overhaul cost.

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
better dont play with fire..
later more money spend than budget since didnt touch no problem, once touch problem come one after another...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
better dont play with fire..
later more money spend than budget since didnt touch no problem, once touch problem come one after another...
Exactly, once open, see this worn, that worn, might as well do all, then big bill. But as bro. Izso mentioned if got the budget go ahead and overhaul....:smokin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
3K probably not enough to do a full overhaul for an Evo engine. Actually I don't think it's enough to do a top overhaul either.

So we're back to square one - like what taikor vr2turbo said - since it ain't broken don't fix it cuz you don't have the budget. But if you do best to overhaul it. Having said that my friends Vios has done 300k km with only normal engine oil changes and changing of usual wear and tear stuff without ever having done an overhaul. All depends on how you drive and take care of your car.

A 4G15 Wira to do a proper full overhaul costs about 5k. I'd imagine a DOHC 4G63T would cost more than that.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Should be much more since parts are more expensive. If not half cut, but engine condition is s gamble.....

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
if do overhaul....

ill probably do a checklist like this:

1-forged conrod
2-forged piston
3-acl/king race bearing with +1 size than original (to compensate crank and/or conrod bearing wear/machining repair)
4-metal head gasket
5-new oilpump kit
6-timingbelt kit
7-oilseal kit
8-waterpump
9-pretty much all new silicon hose
10-get spare turbo (probably rebuild with billet compressor wheel along the way)
11-emanage to tune to new engine power potential
12-new fuel pump
13-new fuel regulator (adjustable preferred)
14-all new mounting
15-spare driveshaft
16-spare 3k for gearbox rebuild (usually tendang-gear simptom happens on high mileage mitsubishi) caused by worn synchro

thats it...

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

my overhaul cost me this on 4g93 na..
this is workshop bill only not include part that i buy my self..
so plan wise before you do major work to ur engine..

eeekkkkkk....

waittt..... why in the recipt lists item most of them twice?

#ubahsuai liner- rm700 ok
#grindvalve using machine- rm304 ok
#potong crankshaft- rm220 ok
#skim head- rm80 ok
#then again skim head- rm40??? :confused:
#water test head+block costs rm200??? :confused:
#change valve guide- rm256 ok

all the above machine shop charged already...then why below the bill still add another RM400 for the job paid above? :confused::confused::banghead::banghead::banghead:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
dont forget to add......

ARP bolts/fasterner set, and the cost of engine fluids for flushing/break-in and the subsequent engine fluids, bushes, and some rubber boots (if the ori ones oredi koyak)

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Well when I did a full engine overhaul on my ex-vr4 about 2 yrs ago it cost me nearly 8k �� so I assume it wld cost around that much for n evo3 since it's more or less similar engine...pls take note that all parts replaced was original parts NOT forged or race items...so if u opt for those then d cost wld probably double or more...

slipar

500 RPM
Apr 29, 2006
banting - pj
eeekkkkkk....

waittt..... why in the recipt lists item most of them twice?

#ubahsuai liner- rm700 ok
#grindvalve using machine- rm304 ok
#potong crankshaft- rm220 ok
#skim head- rm80 ok
#then again skim head- rm40??? :confused:
#water test head+block costs rm200??? :confused:
#change valve guide- rm256 ok

all the above machine shop charged already...then why below the bill still add another RM400 for the job paid above? :confused::confused::banghead::banghead::banghead:
could not remember correctly but the skim head rm40 one is for upah cos pomen send the head by himself..
the 400 one the charge for piston job & i dont remember exactly what & few time eng. shop visit..the overhaul take month to complete due to my budget prob & me searching for the right piston..so the receipt also like what the pomen remember only..hahaha..if in detail i think the cost is higher..

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

dont forget to add......

ARP bolts/fasterner set, and the cost of engine fluids for flushing/break-in and the subsequent engine fluids, bushes, and some rubber boots (if the ori ones oredi koyak)
this is also in the list the item that i buy myself..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

My name is Steven, i just change my engine from 4G15 to 4G93 SOHC.

Now my exhaust still maintance to stock, any my friend say that need to change bigger piping and also extrator, bullet and muffler, but i dont know what size was better on my car.

I got a bad experiance before on 4G15, i only change to straight bullet and top speed at 145km/h only, very teruk........
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience