Why are second hand cars in Malaysia so expensive?

As long as people want to 'eksyen'/'lansi' with new cars, nothing is going to change. I only know one other guy in my office (beside myself) who is still holding on to their first car after 10 years of ownership... Everybody else already bought new car..

Rarity? What do you consider rare? Depends if you're saying if the car is rare, or its just rare in Malaysia. A Holden Monaro is probably rare in Malaysia, but its by no means a rare car. There are no real rare cars in Malaysia maybe with the exception of the collections belonging to our venerable Sultans.

The only reason a certain car is rare in Malaysia is simply because of the mighty AP. That's all. The owners of these "rare cars" in Malaysia justifies the price simply because their car has an AP in Malaysia and you probably can't import one on to our roads. Not their fault really, they are just making use of the flawed AP system for their benefit. Don't hate the playa hate the game.

Rarity can be defined in various ways. For example, it could mean a limited edition BNR34 M-Spec Nur is rare in the 'sea' of BNR34s on sale. Even without AP restrictions, it would be difficult to get the said model. So AP aside, rarity does add value to those in the know.

in my observation cheap used car mostly only can be seen for cars more than 10 years due to lack of buying aid availability from banks, ah long etc..

Even those cars >10yrs old despite the price drop due to lack of loan are still selling with exorbitant prices compared to those other countries I mentioned before.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

As long as people want to 'eksyen'/'lansi' with new cars, nothing is going to change. I only know one other guy in my office (beside myself) who is still holding on to their first car after 10 years of ownership... Everybody else already bought new car..

I think this is also influenced by the lack of loan for cars that old. People are already selling their cars before reaching that age to avoid bigger price drop if potential buyers cannot get anymore loan.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Yup bro...but those countries although offers cheap cars but it's not entirely true..for example, l've read in Majalah Kereta (TAS 2011 edition)in Japan, they said buying the car is not the prob, but the owning is very expensive...a full completion of driving licence could fetch equivalent to RM3000, parking fee is bout RM500-1000/mth..for the maintenance, the labour fee are more expensive than the cost of buying parts itself and the list goes on and on and on....but, u know la Japan, the salaries are already high, monthly earnings for normal workers easily can bring home 5 figures but the cost of living are keep chasing for their monies...:smokin:

yup its true...buying a car might be cheap but maintaning them is costly..dun forget the insurance....quite expensive too compared to MY.

Quite true as well. Insurance in countries like in US can be very expensive depending on the type of car and the nature of the owner/driver. If the car is high performance one, higher premium, if the driver then is also a younger guy, then premium is higher still.

well picture tells 1000 words. Our national car are cheaper at Arab Saudi than Malaysia
37,950.00 SAR = 32,167.71 MYR

arabproton1.jpg

Last edited:
Not so true about cheap car, expensive maintenance in foreign country.

im a student in NZ. cars are cheap, maintenance also cheap. the only things that expensive is labor. well, unless you mod your car that needs lots of labor unit, then it will be costly. if you just drive the car as it is (stock) then you don't have to bear high maintenance cost.

in NZ, process to own a car is very simple, just fill the transfer form and pay NZD20 and the car is yours.
registration usually cost about not more than NZD500/year
warranty of fitness won't set you back more than NZD100/year
insurance? it's optional so the cost can be heavily reduced at this point.

for a student, it is very affordable. if I study in Malaysia, I will be better off take a bus.

my point is, not in all foreign country the statement of 'cheap car, expensive maintenance' is true.

thank you.

I just blame Initial-D the cartoon.

That show alone made so many super old cars super expensive. AE86, RX7 Savanna FC, RX7 FD, R32 (this but already was expensive to begin with since it's a collector), MR2, Scooby v3, erm.. what else?

Oh and has anyone seen how bleeding expensive a Capuccino is in KL? Jeez. But to be fair that's probably because of the AP

Rarity can be defined in various ways. For example, it could mean a limited edition BNR34 M-Spec Nur is rare in the 'sea' of BNR34s on sale. Even without AP restrictions, it would be difficult to get the said model. So AP aside, rarity does add value to those in the know.

Rare simply means not occurring very often, it can be certainly defined by numbers.

250 M-Spec Nur were made. Only 25 Satria NEO CPS R3 Lotus Racing were made. So which is more rare? Which is more desirable, that's a different story altogether, not to mix them up.

numbers don't lie, so no matter how owners of "rare" cars try to bullshit their value, at the end of the day its a matter of willing buyer willing seller. nobody buys then the owners can hold on to their precious rare cars.

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

That show alone made so many super old cars super expensive. AE86, RX7 Savanna FC, RX7 FD, R32 (this but already was expensive to begin with since it's a collector), MR2, Scooby v3, erm.. what else?

Oh and has anyone seen how bleeding expensive a Capuccino is in KL? Jeez. But to be fair that's probably because of the AP

the R32 is the most mass manufactured of all the Skylines. I don't see why its rare nor expensive. Well over here its cause of APs. An indication of domestic prices in Japan from a dirty google search: Nissan Skyline, Used GTR for sale in Japan -- Import Japanese used car for Sale by Exporter and Dealer

I think the one being effected the most is AE86 and Supra.

it is the most manufactured skyline but have you consider how many that survive in good condition till today? that doesn't include v-spec and v-specII which i believe almost non-exist in Malaysia.

AE86 rare than R32? hell no. just look at the amount of AE86/85 trashed for drifting in our country. did you see that much r32 even on the road? i bet not.

Its actually a double whammy.

1. We pay hi price for used cars to feed the AP holders and to protect Proton.

2. Our tax money is used by gomen to subsidize Proton.

Is this ridiculous or what?

THe solution is simple.

1. make sure you register to be voter.

2. make sure to vote.

3. Stop the nonsense.

The power is in our own hand.

[H] [K] [S];1063816238 said:
No guarantee the nonsense will stop no matter who wins the GE...

Very true! If car prices to be dropped, also I'd think cannot be too fast/sudden cause current car owners will suffer too much, and it will impact gov income. So it should be more gradual decline.

it is the most manufactured skyline but have you consider how many that survive in good condition till today? that doesn't include v-spec and v-specII which i believe almost non-exist in Malaysia.

AE86 rare than R32? hell no. just look at the amount of AE86/85 trashed for drifting in our country. did you see that much r32 even on the road? i bet not.

R32 GTRs:
Standard-40390
Nismo-560
V-Spec-1453
V-SpecII-1303
N1-228

it is not a RARE car, it is a rare car in Malaysia.
why is it a RARE car in Malaysia? because of AP, full stop.

As I've said, the Neo R3 Racing Lotus is a rare car, the R32 is a rare car in Malaysia. There's a difference.

I never said AE86 rare, more like, demands a high price. maybe I should have clarified :)

Last edited:
Exactly bro ixeo, there is a massive difference in RARE and rare IN MALAYSIA.

Temujin: Bro sorry if my comment offended you in anyway. What i was trying to state was that its completely unfair that a cars value is raised simply because of the fact its one of the only few models in Malaysia. I do truly believe unless its a real collectors car THEN rarity can be a factor.

R32 GTRs:
Standard-40390
Nismo-560
V-Spec-1453
V-SpecII-1303
N1-228

it is not a RARE car, it is a rare car in Malaysia.
why is it a RARE car in Malaysia? because of AP, full stop.

As I've said, the Neo R3 Racing Lotus is a rare car, the R32 is a rare car in Malaysia. There's a difference.

I never said AE86 rare, more like, demands a high price. maybe I should have clarified :)

How do you define rare? for me to define 'rare' it is more or less like scarcity, demand higher than supply.

Talking about Neo R3 Racing Lotus, the supply is small, and the demand is also small. How many people in the world demands for Neo R3 Racing Lotus? Heck, let me ask again, how many people even KNOW about Neo R3 Racing Lotus?

As oppose to R32 Skyline, the demand is high around the world, not just Malaysia, but supply is lower than demand for the car. that, my friend, how we should define rare.

+ if you define rare by the number of production, I'll build my own car and claim its a rare item. Can I? no. because is there demand for the car i created? no.

Last edited:
Only those 'in the know' and appreciate the rarity of these cars will actually see the point of these old cars with such high prices. As pointed out by z34, demand plays an important part as well.

If u can find an original Nismo or N1 BNR32 kept in pristine condition in Japan, would u think the seller would give u a so-called politically correct low price for it? U may think his actual price is exhorbitant as the car is old and being the most produced model but would the seller care? There's always some other buyer who is a collector and appreciates these old cars for what they are and willing to pay the high price.

Not to be arrogant, but this argument is pointless. AP or not, highly sought after rare cars do demand high prices. If u can't afford it, walk away and get something that is affordable to u.

The prices of cars ain't gonna go down if u vote the opposition, let alone argue in an online forum.

Cheers.

altezza, todo juku EK, S2000, emperor Evo IV...that's all l can recall

no.....it does not apply to just 2nd hand car but all the car. you title should be why goverment tax so much on our car.

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Only those 'in the know' and appreciate the rarity of these cars will actually see the point of these old cars with such high prices. As pointed out by z34, demand plays an important part as well.

If u can find an original Nismo or N1 BNR32 kept in pristine condition in Japan, would u think the seller would give u a so-called politically correct low price for it? U may think his actual price is exhorbitant as the car is old and being the most produced model but would the seller care? There's always some other buyer who is a collector and appreciates these old cars for what they are and willing to pay the high price.

Not to be arrogant, but this argument is pointless. AP or not, highly sought after rare cars do demand high prices. If u can't afford it, walk away and get something that is affordable to u.

The prices of cars ain't gonna go down if u vote the opposition, let alone argue in an online forum.

Cheers.

+1 on the collector car. lets not touch political issue but our new car price is over expensive. its a result of over protecting local car industry by government but hey, i dun understand why National car still need to tax = 70%? local assembly foreign car tax = >150%

Cheers.

and you know this for sure, because?

we are not arguing bro, its merely a discussion. and discussions can bring awareness.

we all know for a fact how the current G is protecting its baby proton. so if opposition takes over, im pretty sure there is a POSSIBILITY they might agree with the citizens of malaysia that we need better quality cars while paying the same price as a proton... where else if the current G stays in power....FOR SURE this will not even be considered. :driver:

Top Bottom