WTA: diy cylinder head cleaning process

grstarbuck

Oct 20, 2006
Heavy duty degreaser, the ones they use for chemical wash for air con., and the same thing for engine bay wash! Just have to spray few time n let it soak for a while! and then rinse off with water!! Other then that they use paint thinner to scrub the grease of??
Thats all I can think of cause i dont have the chemical name of the top of my head!
Best of Luck!

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
not decarb la bro...wat i mean is when do overhaul or top overhaul...after take out the head dismantle everything...just the head cylinder...how to clean all the dirt/dark inside cause of the engine oil...

cheers!!

p/s: did i mention combustion chamber?
i thought people usually jz use petrol and a brush to clean the head from dirt??...

grstarbuck

Oct 20, 2006
This wut the mechanics in North America do! A basin with a steel brush hooked up to chemical! SO while u brushing the parts(cleaning) the chemical is sprayed thru the brush! Ya can try petrol, but it smells more like a paint thinner if want to b exact.....I dont record the chemical name but just remembered being told its very expensive! Hmm maybe acetone in a dilute form,something just erosive enuff to remove the clods.......other then that a brush with petrol= Happy Scrubbing!!

Cloudz

Known Member
Jan 6, 2006
Use petrol then use amway silver polish. That will do the job. if not soak it over-night with Amway polisher. Remember to wash with Amway washing powder before installing, this will give it an oil base coat.

Cloudz

Known Member
Jan 6, 2006
Bro,

That shit works man, The washing machine powder give it a layer to oil base to protect the metal from rusting. You can use that in your radiator as well. This was an idea when I study in UK, and all their washing powder have this anti rust compound. The reason to this, is to protect your washing machine components from rusting. They even had adverts. Didn't know leh.....lucky you're in this forum coz now you know.

There are a lot of products available outside to maintained car engine. After all, 80% needs machine to work.

bro,r u amway saleman????hehehe......jjk :_:

GNandGS

Known Member
Feb 24, 2006
Cant get engine degreaser? Have a look in ACE hardware in Megamall.

If you want to clean engine blocks, heads, etc AFTER disassembly but cant find anything strong enough, just use oven cleaner. Where to get it? I dont know as I cant seem to find anything Im looking for in Malaysia. bleh. Oven cleaner shares a lot in common with engine degreaser (both come in cans like spray paint) but often at lower price. Here? Cant say.

Edit: not sure of effects on alum parts! Any cleaner is likely to be bad for bearings btw.

A proper job would be to have the part "tanked" in a large vat of heated chemicals. But if you are doing yourself (nothing wrong with that!) be sure to check all the passages too... they make special brushes for this that can be helpful on stubborn passages.

Where to get brushes? I dont know. <grin> If you had a gun store that would be one source. <rolls eyes>

Rinse well with water... then dry quickly with compressed air. The oily coating method from Cloudz is appealing but paint may not stick if you plan to paint.

Acetone for sealing surfaces works well.

If I misunderstood the Q, then nevermind.

Last edited:

grstarbuck

Oct 20, 2006
SHazmi3......sorry for responding so late haven't check this site for a while! I will try to get the name for you but no promises cause I have to phone back to Canada and ask my friends! :shocked:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Which shop in KL/PJ area uses Meguiars products only ? I remember reading a thread a while back but i cant find it now..

Details are appreciated...

Thanks...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience