Wira 1.6 a/b Auto conversion to manual gearbox question

bem69

Known Member
Feb 7, 2005
After asking a few mechanics' opinion, I have found out the auto gearbox for my Wira a/b 1.6 is going to die soon. All have suggested replacing the gearbox. Now, I have switched gearbox 3 times already, and I'm tired of that. Furthermore, the car revs more than it moves, therefore consuming a lot of petrol.

A friend's mechanic said he can replace my gearbox with a manual one at RM1700. This includes a 4G93 1.8 gearbox, gear console, pedals, flywheel, clutchplate, starter and all other components to make it work.

I really have no idea what is needed to convert, but I find it a bit expensive. Question is, is this a normal price for the items mentioned above? And is RM250 for installation a normal price?

See, I don't have a big budget. I just want my car to run like what it should be, while consuming less petrol so I can save in the long run. At the moment, even a kancil can beat my car when climbing uphill.

To all the pros here, please advise me, or perhaps lead me to a better alternative?

140dB

Known Member
Mar 27, 2005
johor
gearbox

hi there,

afaik, a 4g15 box alone would cost about rm700. that does not include the flywheel (u need a 1.6 flywheel), clutch, starter, pedals, console, cables, labour. getting a 1.6 autobox would cost you around 1k w/o labour, and of course w/o guarantee u are getting a lemon. so u make ur own decision.....

140dB

m a v [3] r i c k

9,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL
Visit site
Hi,
If your engine is in good condition, then go for a manual conversion. Otherwise, consider transplanting another engine.
RM1700 for good condition 93 gearbox, clutch, drive shaft, starter, labour charges etc is pretty reasonable (provided you dont have to trade in your autobox and other accessories). Just make sure the mechanic does a good job. You'll definitely get better mileage. It's a good long term investment I'd say. :_:
In short, IF the mechanic does a good job, then RM1700 is worth paying :_:

bem69

Known Member
Feb 7, 2005
According to the mechanic, the car engine is still ok, and that transplanting another engine is not necessary.

I guess the price is within the average price range for manual conversion eh?

Going the auto way is cheaper, just that I fear that the gearbox would fail yet again.

jombiee

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Ghombau
pardon me guys..
but wouldnt it be illegal ? auto g/b --> manual g/b.....??

Excalibur

500 RPM
Feb 9, 2005
NoWay2Run
Visit site
I try to find for myself b4 is 4g93 g/b cost me RM2000.... is from a GTI that total lost..

4g92 auto really suck... a heavy duty driver like me the g/b sure out...
I have change mine once b4... just change to a 2nd good g/b.. but now is back to 50/50 life of the g/b..

pifecto14

Known Member
Jul 28, 2005
PJ
bem69 said:
According to the mechanic, the car engine is still ok, and that transplanting another engine is not necessary.

I guess the price is within the average price range for manual conversion eh?

Going the auto way is cheaper, just that I fear that the gearbox would fail yet again.

Bem69, looks like we share the same dilemma currently. Having lil prob wit my curr GB.
Thinking of changing back to auto gearbox. Is it advisable? Is it possible to change my 1.6 auto g/b to a putra 1.8 auto g/b ??

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear bros...

Yesterday I've swapped my rims to waja first edition rims.....after balancing and alignment and also adding a spacer for the rear wheel because it seem the offset is to inside kena absober.....so after that when i drive....nice but once i apply brake...i can feel vibration from the brake......why ar?? is it the rear spacer make it like that ar...previously....using 8holes rims also no problem like that and with spacer at the front summore....sigh....anyone installed waja rims...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience