Why some exhaust pipes are bended downwards

dr.who

Known Member
Jul 25, 2006
Hello everyone,

Just a general question.

I noticed some exhaust pipes are bended downwards for eg: Toyota Vios.

May i know what is the advantage of this?

TQ.

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
nothing.. its just that the end muffler is positioned behind the bumper.. so the tip end is facing downwards so that its not restricted with the bumper

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
The design is already there since the 70s'. Its because they want to desperse the exhaust gases below. A good example would be those old Mercedes Benz.

If u notice cars with straight and moded upwards type, their bumpers get blacked out by carbon, & unburnt fuel. A mess to clean. Also heat rises. In this case the hot air carries the mentioned dirt above. Which some manufacturers claim contaminate air more easier.

For stock cars with straight exhaust tips, they are usually smaller diameter than the whole pining to maintain an exhaust gat jet that fires of in a straight line. and the exit point is sometimes longer off from the bumper.

A silple test can confirm this. U know how a cold morning when you start ur car and some water vapour come out. Notice that it goes up. If you have a VIOS or some car with bottom faced exit pipe, look at how the exhaust gas is dispered by the floor. It makes it easier to understand why.

LUKA also has a point in saying that the design is to accomodate the newer large bumpers for a more flusher or hidden exhaust look. Also the design does not offer any improvement in performence either.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
Hello everyone,

Just a general question.

I noticed some exhaust pipes are bended downwards for eg: Toyota Vios.

May i know what is the advantage of this?

TQ.
bro,what do u mean by some?is it the ori 1 ur talking about
or the after market 1?if ori 1,pls refer to netmatrix.....hehehe:biggrin:

ikan_laga

Known Member
Aug 19, 2006
Penang
to prevent rain from coming in?can include ka??

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
maybe those cars were designed by people who can't get erection at all? Penile dysfunction? hahahaha that's why the exhaust facing down. haha

simon

Known Member
Mar 31, 2005
i think also to suppress the exhaust noise....if you cut off the bended section the exhaust note may sound a little bit louder........i guess:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

There's a new UHP candidate from Continental Tyre lately, and it's not just another Sport Contact sibling either. Yes you've heard, It's the new MC6. Short for Max Contact, The new MC series will not just replace older MC5, it takes on a new role in the world of Ultra High...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience