top overhaul? overhaul whole engine? or just valve clearance?

justlikeu

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2005
Subang Jaya
hmm... any sifu can help me think? i driving wira 1.5 carb... i was thinking to do top overhaul or overhaul the whole engine myself... or jus do valve clearance only? but my engine condition still good... no white or blue or black smoke come out from exhaust... confusing... sifu any idea? :confused_smile: thanks !!! :_:

emechelmi

Jul 5, 2006
first of all, why do you need such things?

if it ain't broken, don't fix it. your engine is still healthy. valve adjustment should be ok to optimum the tuning and to compensate for valves wear. overhaul? not recommended unless your engine produces the symptoms that you mentioned.

justlikeu

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2005
Subang Jaya
i thought of that too bro... that's y i ask u guys lo... hehe... cuz i do the compression test for each cylinder... the compression not performing the MAX compression... that's also y i thought of overhaul whole engine lo... =)

AccordRacing

2,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2005
kepong
www.zhapalang.com.my
then just do the top overhauled, grind the valve seat, and change those gasket n seal, its may help

justlikeu

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2005
Subang Jaya
i know bro... if i really wann do top overhaul i will find u... toda top set rm80 ma... am i rite?? hehe... i chat with u at msn b4 de... Pin Head Larry that guy ar... hahahaha.... = )

eraserwke

Known Member
Aug 26, 2005
Subang
i'm driving wira 1.5 carb too. engine so old dy, '94. where and how did u do the compression test? i did a top overhaul before.. at around 150000kms.. feels better and smoother after that. but engine sound louder. i think the guy didn't do a very good job. sigh. where to do valve adjustment? i think i need to do that and tune the a/f ratio dy.. consumption getting worse. haha.

justlikeu

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2005
Subang Jaya
ermmm... i think mine is 93 year wan... my car was driven by mom and sis den only my turn... lady driver still ok la... i did the compression test at my college... i also did top overhaul before... but now engine kinda loud... i think is the valve clearance gap getting big... i goin to do valve adjustment next week once i get the valve cover gasket and adjust engine timing... i did the a/f ratio dy... my audi sifu did it for me... use a spark plug(modify a bit)... turn 2 and half round for stock car... = )

eraserwke

Known Member
Aug 26, 2005
Subang
hmm.. let me know hows the results lah. my car due for servicing maybe i'll send it in for major tune-up. :P mileage so high dy now. haha.
adjust a/f ratio got feel any difference ar?

justlikeu

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2005
Subang Jaya
sure... i let u know next week... cuz i haven get the gasket and some more tomorrow got exam... a/f ratio got a bit difference only... maybe before that my car a/f ratio didn't run out... u wan a bit power u can tune to 3 round and the engine timing tune to 12... =)

eraserwke

Known Member
Aug 26, 2005
Subang
lol ok. will be waiting for the news. exam? still studying ar. where? :D hmm haven't looked at the carb to see where the screws are also actually. eh u from subang also? :D next time can meet up after u done ur car :P

justlikeu

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2005
Subang Jaya
sure bro... i studying at pj there... actually i not from subang.. i stay at glenmarie court there... 5 minute can reach subang... = )

justlikeu

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2005
Subang Jaya
eraserwke!!! i jus did my valve clearance and adjust the engine timing today... the result ar? hmmm... consider ok kua... haven really tested yet... cuz i did the clearance is 0.15mm for intake and 0.2mm for exhaust... the engine timing is around 11-13 like that... = )

eraserwke

Known Member
Aug 26, 2005
Subang
cool :D the measurements as recommended by the mech? or factory specs? how much to do the valves and timing? hmm. maybe ur car settings will be different coz mine's manual. not sure tho. :P right now i bengang coz my car inside got rattling sound coming from dashboard. kenot pinpoint the source. damn irritating. X(

justlikeu

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2005
Subang Jaya
the clearance i using now is not the original spec wan... wan power ma... hehe... the original clearance spec is 0.20mm for intake 0.25mm for exhaust... how much i not sure, cuz i do myself de... = ) auto and manual is the same wan... the engine timing is my audi sifu teach me wan... the timing cannot adjust too high... cuz it might kena the valve!!!

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
justlikeu said:
the clearance i using now is not the original spec wan... wan power ma... hehe... the original clearance spec is 0.20mm for intake 0.25mm for exhaust... how much i not sure, cuz i do myself de... = ) auto and manual is the same wan... the engine timing is my audi sifu teach me wan... the timing cannot adjust too high... cuz it might kena the valve!!!
yeap..original is 0.20mm and 0.25mm for the valve clearance....but mostly mechanic adjust it at 0.10mm and 0.15mm...rite?

how many u adjust bro?

justlikeu

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2005
Subang Jaya
huakenny said:
yeap..original is 0.20mm and 0.25mm for the valve clearance....but mostly mechanic adjust it at 0.10mm and 0.15mm...rite?

how many u adjust bro?

yup... 0.10mm and 0.15mm is jus enough... but my fren adjust 0.06mm and 0.08mm... hahaha... i jus 0.15mm and 0.20mm... i told my fren i wan 0.10mm and 0.15mm de... but he did 0.15mm and 0.20mm for me... nvm la... cuz i adjust the engine timing ma... 0.15mm and 0.20mm will do liao... if not later piston hit the valve den ma die lo? hehe...

eraserwke

Known Member
Aug 26, 2005
Subang
so there's a bit of extra power after adjusting? actually whats the point of adjusting the valve clearance? it'll help combustion or what? heh. sorry noob :D

justlikeu--can adjust urself? can teach me how? :D

justlikeu

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2005
Subang Jaya
yes... extra power for an old engine lo... this valve clearance is for the intake valve and exhaust valve open and close more ngam like the setting for a new engine lo...

if ur car don hav smoke come out, den u can do valve clearance to set back like those new car setting... cuz the nut might be run out for old engine...
hope u get wat i mean...

ya... i did myself... can teach wan... share share ma... = )

alvin2002_my

Known Member
Oct 17, 2006
sifus, my iswara 93' sedan now having white smoke when i start car and drive. recently found that my engine there there's some oil leakage. is it i have to do overhaul as well?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

helo there

im using wira 4g15 manual trans with weber dcnf 40 carb + knn air filter, powerzone cam, and powerzone 421 extractor

i need advise for the right/optimum piping size
rite now im using 2' piping, original route + 2' straight flow muffler
very hard to achieve top speed
rpm at about 5k something goes wrong
the car wont increase speed
feel like choked
have to release pedal little bit then press again then ok sikit
but then
its sucks

any opinion to increase the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience