when is the time to top overhaul or overhaul?

ahrtheohs

Known Member
Aug 24, 2006
to all sifus,im new in this motoring industry.. bought a 2nd hand with 90xxx mileage.. my questions are. when is the time to top overhaul and when is the time to do full overhaul? is there any sign? what is the cost for top overhaul? and how about overhaul? what parts are replaced on top overhaul and overhaul? hope all sifus here can answer my question. newbie here needs some knowledge

WestCoast

Known Member
Mar 26, 2006
sorry ya tumpang ur thread oso
i oso wana knw more bout overhaul..top overhaul means overhaul the head only? wat do the mechanics usually do to our engine when overhaul?

diwant

Known Member
Apr 22, 2004
Bangsar
diwant.wordpress.com
from my understanding:
1. Top overhaul = service/ change parts that is inside the head. e.g: gasket, piston ring, piston, etc, whichever needs to be replaced, and also cleaning of cylinder.

2. General overhaul = Every mechanical parts of the whole engine will be checked and dismantled to determine if there are any worn out parts or anything that need to be replaced.

putra4767

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2004
Visit site
diwant said:
from my understanding:
1. Top overhaul = service/ change parts that is inside the head. e.g: gasket, piston ring, piston, etc, whichever needs to be replaced, and also cleaning of cylinder.

2. General overhaul = Every mechanical parts of the whole engine will be checked and dismantled to determine if there are any worn out parts or anything that need to be replaced.
Bro, Piston rings & piston are in the block - that's under full overhaul...
Top overhaul include, head gaskets, valves, valve seals, things inside the head...

If ur engine consumes engine oil due & is emitting white smoke then you may have to do overhaul depending on the cause....

A compression test is the best way to start....

softmuffin

Known Member
Dec 21, 2004
alrite let say aft full overhaul what will happen to the engine
will the engine be more powerful compare b4 overhaul

AhLun

Known Member
May 8, 2005
JB
softmuffin said:
alrite let say aft full overhaul what will happen to the engine
will the engine be more powerful compare b4 overhaul
I think will be more powerful becos after overhaul then engine like new engine. Am i right?

putra4767

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2004
Visit site
engine

AhLun said:
I think will be more powerful becos after overhaul then engine like new engine. Am i right?
Engine shud perform better but make sure you give a really good mechanic to
do it as there are lotsa stuff to be tightened, fitted & adjusted differently...

ahrtheohs

Known Member
Aug 24, 2006
thanks for all the feedback sifus! but what is the compression test? for compression test,how much is the cost? because really tight on money thats y need to ask for the cost 1st. top overhaul cost howmuch roughly? and overhaul is how much? thanks sifus for spending some time answering my questions.

NeoG

Known Member
May 30, 2006
i driving a Honda Civic EG, if i go to Overhaul, how much does it cost? does it's cost a BooM!! x_x

georgett

Known Member
Oct 11, 2006
it depend loh... normal below 3K
complete overhault gasket set, piston ring, conrod&crank shaft bearing, timing belt, water pump, oil seal....

ahrtheohs

Known Member
Aug 24, 2006
okay guys,need some opinion on this one.. my car is 95 satria 1.3 carb.. the fc is not that bad for me,roughly its about 60km/rm10 driving 90-100km/h.. now my car got white smoke come out.. is this the symptom that i have to look out? im 18 yo, unemployed and not studying.. my moms mech told me that my car needs to overhaul.. how much is the max cost for this? if i were to transplant to 4g91,is this advisable compare to overhaul? my brain mixed up edi,cant think of a better question.. eh and how much is the max cost to overhaul my car? because if the cost is 1k+ might aswell i transplant(if this is the only solution left lah).. because ill be using this car for a very long time.. thanks sifus

Last edited:

georgett

Known Member
Oct 11, 2006
Xplant 4G91 will cost u more than that. I advise u overhaul it and safe those money for others stuff..
where u stay,,, my workshop at KL,, if possible come n talk abt ur overhaul..
pls visit www.ada-motorsports.com

ahrtheohs

Known Member
Aug 24, 2006
now i think i want to transplant.. my 4g13 is very lousy lah,tekan so much also cannot go.. i asked someone about transplanting engine,he said that cannot because got unique chassis code coz later on susah to renew roadtax and selling off the car.. is this true?? i want to transplant for 4g91.. and 1 more,does 4g91 engine cost much more on FC comparing to the 4g13? hope i can get a feedback on this.. thanks

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
usually if white smoke coming out from yr exhaust in the morning then it's normal.its water vapor.
fyi...an engine that are well kept will x need any overhaul...and given the malaysian weather..an engine should last for at least 250k mileage..there are even some dat can last up to 500k w/o overhaul.so think thoroughly...
p/s:correct me if im wrong...

Last edited: