• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
custom??u mean u cut the top of the rod n retread it to make the centre rod
shorter rite??bumpy or not depends on ur spring.u can look for a more comfortable
spring to match with ur new shock.is ur shock gas charge??

pdguy

500 RPM
Jan 18, 2005
Everywhere
mayb i think lioa ...... front is gas n rear also gas :) so no harm of trying out all new stock springs wit my short stoke shocks !

and i dont know if its the stock shock n cut n retread for short stroke ! the shop feller didnt want to tell me the secret he said its his design n custom made :)
duno wat to do then ............

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
oooo.....like that ar.i think the mech shorten ur rod la.
so how's ur ride after installing the new abs?is it
to ur liking pd?

pdguy

500 RPM
Jan 18, 2005
Everywhere
oooo.....like that ar.i think the mech shorten ur rod la.
so how's ur ride after installing the new abs?is it
to ur liking pd?
actually im not that happy :( coz the guy promise me that i get the comfort n lowered look after installation (paid rm1200++) but after install he said u cant get that type of level if the car is lowered ! (im F****ed) and i jus drove off loh coz paid aleady wat to do :)

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
huh???u pay rm1200 for the abs ar bro???it's not adj rite???don't u find
it expensive???sumore ur not satisfied with it.aiyo....wasted.:confused_smile:

pdguy

500 RPM
Jan 18, 2005
Everywhere
huh???u pay rm1200 for the abs ar bro???it's not adj rite???don't u find
it expensive???sumore ur not satisfied with it.aiyo....wasted.:confused_smile:
i tried adjustable aleady n its doesnt suit my taste :( so i go for this n same also mayb it wil be better i jus stick to standard shocks settings :) how if i coupled my short stroke with GAB springs ? any comments ? thanks !

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
right now u match it with ur stock spring rite??so how's the ride??is it to
soft or stiff for u??if it's to stiff,i think u better stick with the ori's suspension
set up liow.if to soft,u can match it with sport spring as sport spring is 15-20%
stiffer then ori's.

pdguy

500 RPM
Jan 18, 2005
Everywhere
right now u match it with ur stock spring rite??so how's the ride??is it to
soft or stiff for u??if it's to stiff,i think u better stick with the ori's suspension
set up liow.if to soft,u can match it with sport spring as sport spring is 15-20%
stiffer then ori's.
actually my shocks are custom made short stroke coupled with front sport spring and rear standard spring !
my ride a bit hard mayb becoz of the front sport spring ?
so will it help by changing my front to stock springs ? will it improve to comfort ride ?
thanks ! any idea ?

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
i think after u change the front spring to ori's,ur ride will be much
comfortable la pdguy.

dennisdreams

Known Member
Feb 15, 2006
and guys ..... im now using custom made short stroke shocks coupled with APM sport spring front and rear stock spring ! the gap about 2 finger front and rear 3 half finger ! but the car feels ok but a bit bumpy !

so guys wat is the best setup for short stoke abs ? is it coupled with stock or sprot springs ?

thanks in advance :)
There's a lot of definition for short stroke absorber. There;s one, which is the shaft(silver shinny thingy) and it's barrel (body) was short. and another is the shaft is short but the barrel is still long.

hmmmm guys.. wanna ask something. is GAB hi lo with AVCS is a good choice?? from wat i read the AVCS system is quite impressive... can anybody comment?? thanks!
So far for all the Gab absorber i manage to get my hand on (dissect and cut open) the so call AVCS sys is the same thing as the valve you will get in any normal KAYABA absorber. AND be aware, there's a lot of counter fare GAB on the market, especially in Sunway City.

mayb i think lioa ...... front is gas n rear also gas :) so no harm of trying out all new stock springs wit my short stoke shocks !

Actually, most of my customer was more satisfied with "cuted" original spring than sport spring. For which sport spring had a lower tension rate than original spring.

and i dont know if its the stock shock n cut n retread for short stroke ! the shop feller didnt want to tell me the secret he said its his design n custom made :)
duno wat to do then ............
Did you saw a welding line around the original welding line on the absorber? If not, they cut the tip of the absorber short only. Nothing other is done to your absorber.

actually im not that happy :( coz the guy promise me that i get the comfort n lowered look after installation (paid rm1200++) but after install he said u cant get that type of level if the car is lowered ! (im F****ed) and i jus drove off loh coz paid aleady wat to do :)
RM1200 is definitely OVER charge~! For you setup, i think you can get it around RM350 in our shop (w/o the spring).

i think after u change the front spring to ori's,ur ride will be much
comfortable la pdguy.
Lastly, my recommendation, you can try use, original spring, cut one round off, heat-treatment at the point of the last quarter of the cut edge to make it's angle less steep so it will sit better on your absorber's bow. then cut one inch off your stop bump~ and walla, you get a two finger gap between your wheels and mud-guard and a comfort ride.

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
dennis,in the 2nd paragraph u mention that when u open up the gab abs with
avcs,the piston is the same with normal kyb abs?so that's mean they've been
telling lies la like that??

pdguy

500 RPM
Jan 18, 2005
Everywhere
There's a lot of definition for short stroke absorber. There;s one, which is the shaft(silver shinny thingy) and it's barrel (body) was short. and another is the shaft is short but the barrel is still long.

Did you saw a welding line around the original welding line on the absorber? If not, they cut the tip of the absorber short only. Nothing other is done to your absorber.

RM1200 is definitely OVER charge~! For you setup, i think you can get it around RM350 in our shop (w/o the spring).

Lastly, my recommendation, you can try use, original spring, cut one round off, heat-treatment at the point of the last quarter of the cut edge to make it's angle less steep so it will sit better on your absorber's bow. then cut one inch off your stop bump~ and walla, you get a two finger gap between your wheels and mud-guard and a comfort ride.
bro ..... i think my short stroke the barrel they modify it coz i saw some kind of opener/cap at the top (wer the rod located) - not sure mayb not !
** mayb u can advice me wat they hav done with my abs :)
and i think the rod is the same length and now im using front APM sport spring with the short stroke abs !
now the comfort improved coz using rear stock spring when i travel 4 person in the car ! my rear gap 3 fingers n front 2 fingers gap !

so should i change to stock springs front also :) can you do it for me ? wer is your shop mayb wil come n visit you :)

thanks !

dennisdreams

Known Member
Feb 15, 2006
dennis,in the 2nd paragraph u mention that when u open up the gab abs with
avcs,the piston is the same with normal kyb abs?so that's mean they've been
telling lies la like that??
In business world, they were not telling lies. Because b ythe time they develop the system, they hasn't name it or they didn't bother putting the name for it for stock absorber. But in a way to attract ppl/customer, they had to come out with something flashy~ so walla, the system got a name~! lol~

bro ..... i think my short stroke the barrel they modify it coz i saw some kind of opener/cap at the top (wer the rod located) - not sure mayb not !
** mayb u can advice me wat they hav done with my abs :)
and i think the rod is the same length and now im using front APM sport spring with the short stroke abs !
now the comfort improved coz using rear stock spring when i travel 4 person in the car ! my rear gap 3 fingers n front 2 fingers gap !

so should i change to stock springs front also :) can you do it for me ? wer is your shop mayb wil come n visit you :)

thanks !
if you were generous enough to show me a close up photo of the cap thing~ mayb i'll be able to tell what it is. normally we do suggest that we used back our stock spring and 'cut' a bit to archive the desire ride hight (strongly recommended above two fingers/1.2~1.5 inchs on 195/45R15 tyre min.

My shop is in Penang,
32, Lorong Industry 7, Bukit Panchor Industry Area, 14300 Nibong Tebal.

pdguy

500 RPM
Jan 18, 2005
Everywhere
if you were generous enough to show me a close up photo of the cap thing~ mayb i'll be able to tell what it is. normally we do suggest that we used back our stock spring and 'cut' a bit to archive the desire ride hight (strongly recommended above two fingers/1.2~1.5 inchs on 195/45R15 tyre min.

My shop is in Penang,
32, Lorong Industry 7, Bukit Panchor Industry Area, 14300 Nibong Tebal.
ok ...... i wil snap some picture of my abs ! u re from penang so far loh ? :cry_smile:
im on 195/50/15 front and 195/55/15 rear.
the photos as i promised :-

Last edited:

FuzzyKezzy

Apr 11, 2006
dennis.. i cut my original springs few months back but didn't heat treatment it. Now it's giving me problems.. whenever i pass thru uneven roads or small potholes i'll hear some squeeking sound coming from the abs area. Even sometimes when i turn my steering i can hear "tak tak" sound. Any solutions? However i must admit the handling is quite nice actually =p

dennisdreams

Known Member
Feb 15, 2006
ok ...... i wil snap some picture of my abs ! u re from penang so far loh ? :cry_smile:
im on 195/50/15 front and 195/55/15 rear.
the photos as i promised :-
From the photo, i think that's one of the local made absorber. But so far i hasn't get my hand on one of this so i couldn't tell you much about it. But from the tyre size you tell me, it shouldn't be a problem for a conform ride except that the absorber bounce-re-bounce rate was set-ed wrongly.

dennis.. i cut my original springs few months back but didn't heat treatment it. Now it's giving me problems.. whenever i pass thru uneven roads or small potholes i'll hear some squeeking sound coming from the abs area. Even sometimes when i turn my steering i can hear "tak tak" sound. Any solutions? However i must admit the handling is quite nice actually =p
The squeaking sound should be coming from the spring rubbing against the absorber spring bowl. You can try one traditional way - fixing water hose to the last round of the spring or heat treatment the last quarter round of the spring and press it inward to make it sit nicely in the spring bowl.
And the tak-tak sound when turning steering, as far as i concern, that's when your drive-shaft's bearing start to worn out.

strangex2

Known Member
Mar 22, 2007
Yeap the tak-tak sound should be the drive-shaft or rather the CV joint wearing out/dirty.

FuzzyKezzy

Apr 11, 2006
And the tak-tak sound when turning steering, as far as i concern, that's when your drive-shaft's bearing start to worn out.
i've asked my mechanic to check but he said everything's fine. he tried looking for the source of the sound and found that it's actually coming from the absorber itself (the top ball joint or whatever you call it). i'm suspecting the cut spring is the culprit. anyway am i able to know what's the spring rate for this set of hwl coilover with this code number?

front: 250-60-62P
rear: 300-40-62P

thanx in advance.

dennisdreams

Known Member
Feb 15, 2006
for that i think i need to call up HWL's boss uncle wong to conform with him. will let you know if i get any infor from him.

btw, the tak tak sound is it consistent during cornering or it's just a sound or two when you turn your steering wheels a lot?

pdguy

500 RPM
Jan 18, 2005
Everywhere
for that i think i need to call up HWL's boss uncle wong to conform with him. will let you know if i get any infor from him.

btw, the tak tak sound is it consistent during cornering or it's just a sound or two when you turn your steering wheels a lot?
might be a Full Lock LSD gearboxed sound ................