suspension advice

pdguy

500 RPM
Jan 18, 2005
Everywhere
guys,
Im on lowering springs for my mivec and its very bumpy ride with 4 person in the car ! mine is a sedan car !

the person sitting behind gets bumps off from the seat when i go uneven roads !

presently im on MONROE SENSATRAC (rear) / MONROE REFLEX (front) and all are gas charged !

please advice me and will it help if I change my behind absober to kayaba Oil type !

do advice me ! thanks

GoldenHawk

500 RPM
Aug 6, 2004
Well, did you cut your springs or are they naturally lowered springs?
Unfortunately, lowered springs + standard height shock will give you that effect. Plus, I think your springs are a little too stiff for your ride.

You can go for short-stroke abs. You might loose a little bit of the standard car comfort, but it'll be WAY better that what you have now. Plus, it wouldn't be too bumpy.

I'm running on a set of customized serviceable absorbers my pal carries. It's about 10 - 15% stiffer than the standard absorbers, allowing for a comfortable straight-road drive & stiff enough for hard corners. I had to custom mine as my springs were lower too. Really enjoying them now :smile:

Link--> http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/engine-and-performance/151223-performance-items-sale.html

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
yewps...what goldenhawk said is true. if ur spring length is too short...and u pair it with ur standard height shockers....u'll get this kinda characteristics..and not to mention, reducing the lifespan of ur shockers tremendously because of bottoms-out.

pdguy

500 RPM
Jan 18, 2005
Everywhere
Well, did you cut your springs or are they naturally lowered springs?
Unfortunately, lowered springs + standard height shock will give you that effect. Plus, I think your springs are a little too stiff for your ride.

You can go for short-stroke abs. You might loose a little bit of the standard car comfort, but it'll be WAY better that what you have now. Plus, it wouldn't be too bumpy.

I'm running on a set of customized serviceable absorbers my pal carries. It's about 10 - 15% stiffer than the standard absorbers, allowing for a comfortable straight-road drive & stiff enough for hard corners. I had to custom mine as my springs were lower too. Really enjoying them now :smile:

Link--> http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/engine-and-performance/151223-performance-items-sale.html
thanks bro,
i thought changing to oil type stock shocks will help ! but lucky i didnt go ahead to d it ! well after u hav adviced it wont help anyway right ?
yeah i wil change to short stroke abs n its surely wont be a bumpy ride yet lowered look ! :)

so u re using this type short stroke shocks n wat brand or hows the bumpyness ? OK right lets say 4 person in the car ?

GoldenHawk

500 RPM
Aug 6, 2004
thanks bro,
i thought changing to oil type stock shocks will help ! but lucky i didnt go ahead to d it ! well after u hav adviced it wont help anyway right ?
yeah i wil change to short stroke abs n its surely wont be a bumpy ride yet lowered look ! :)

so u re using this type short stroke shocks n wat brand or hows the bumpyness ? OK right lets say 4 person in the car ?
The short-strokes I'm using are custom made. No brand :smile:
OK, my ride ('89 Saga) is what you may refer to as a "worst-case-scenario".
My ride is lowered to the point that the read wheel & rear fender has 0% clearance. I had to do a little body work to my rear fender so that the tire walls don't rub. And, to add to this, I'm on 15x7" rims :shocked:

YET, I've still not bottomed out :smile: Not even with 4 people & luggage in the car :smile: THIS is the characteristic of a fine set of shocks.

Now, if I could only find a softer set of springs :_:

strangex2

Known Member
Mar 22, 2007
So all in all, the conclusion is to:
Pair lowered springs with short-stroke abs so that you don't bottom out and also ensure a nice and not bumpy ride.

Correct?

GoldenHawk

500 RPM
Aug 6, 2004
So all in all, the conclusion is to:
Pair lowered springs with short-stroke abs so that you don't bottom out and also ensure a nice and not bumpy ride.

Correct?
Spot On! :regular_smile:

Any inquiries on the shocks, please do PM me. Lets leave this thread for alternate suggestions & tips, shall we?

strangex2

Known Member
Mar 22, 2007
Will struts bars or stabilizer bars help? It will probably make the ride stiffer, but dunno bouncier or not.

m@ttz

1,500 RPM
May 7, 2006
klang
for lower, comfort n nice ride, try to use stock rear abs+spring from honda eg/integra for ur rear, it just plug n play..

i think stabilizer bar will only giv respond on ur cornering, correct me if i'm wrong..

pdguy

500 RPM
Jan 18, 2005
Everywhere
for lower, comfort n nice ride, try to use stock rear abs+spring from honda eg/integra for ur rear, it just plug n play..

i think stabilizer bar will only giv respond on ur cornering, correct me if i'm wrong..
but as far as i heard b4 the stailisers will only work at higher speed coz it wil prevent body roll !

pdguy

500 RPM
Jan 18, 2005
Everywhere
Spot On! :regular_smile:

Any inquiries on the shocks, please do PM me. Lets leave this thread for alternate suggestions & tips, shall we?
thanks guys for all the info n advice ! yeah do make this live with questions n advice n experience sharing on lowered springs n shocks !

BUMP ............

m@ttz

1,500 RPM
May 7, 2006
klang
but as far as i heard b4 the stailisers will only work at higher speed coz it wil prevent body roll !
i think it was not only on higher speed, even when u take corner fast at lower speed, u can feel it..

strangex2

Known Member
Mar 22, 2007
i think it was not only on higher speed, even when u take corner fast at lower speed, u can feel it..
A quick u-turn test (at whatever speeds you like, slow/medium then fast) and you will feel the results... eheheheh.

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
i think thre is no BUMP STOP installed bro !
so u didn't install the bump stop back to ur new absorber?so i think it might
be ur absorber.u said u use sensatrac for rear right?sensatrac is not suitable
for lowering spring cos there's 2 type of chamber inside the body.the big chamber
is for comfort n the smaller chamber to reduced body roll.after u install s.spring,
the piston tend to play around the area between the big n the small chamber.
this type of absorber are tend to be used with ur std spring.while taking corner,
ur absorber will become stiff to avoid to much b/roll.

handsomeboy

Known Member
Apr 6, 2007
hmmmm guys.. wanna ask something. is GAB hi lo with AVCS is a good choice?? from wat i read the AVCS system is quite impressive... can anybody comment?? thanks!

pdguy

500 RPM
Jan 18, 2005
Everywhere
so u didn't install the bump stop back to ur new absorber?so i think it might
be ur absorber.u said u use sensatrac for rear right?sensatrac is not suitable
for lowering spring cos there's 2 type of chamber inside the body.the big chamber
is for comfort n the smaller chamber to reduced body roll.after u install s.spring,
the piston tend to play around the area between the big n the small chamber.
this type of absorber are tend to be used with ur std spring.while taking corner,
ur absorber will become stiff to avoid to much b/roll.
yeah i think n i got the same info about that sensatrac monroe shocks ! but i already ordered a set of short stroke absober n will be installing it this weekends ! jus waitin to see the outcome then ! will keep posted ! :)

pdguy

500 RPM
Jan 18, 2005
Everywhere
and guys ..... im now using custom made short stroke shocks coupled with APM sport spring front and rear stock spring ! the gap about 2 finger front and rear 3 half finger ! but the car feels ok but a bit bumpy !

so guys wat is the best setup for short stoke abs ? is it coupled with stock or sprot springs ?

thanks in advance :)