Restoration Progress of Soichiro Honda's Gem, 1965 Honda S600

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
hey, 10k is really cheap for a rare car like this, althought more $ to be dump on restoration work, of course 50k is not too expensive if u hv the cash to play wif. shiroitenshi: where are u actually base in? im sure both of u not from KL rite?

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
hey mick, i would consider so, didnt know the bills would rack up a lot. a lot of money has been wasted on postage and rare/expensive parts, but i guess the thrill of revving an engine to 9500 rpm on stock would be so exciting. even if you are going slow, your car sounds very fast, its funny that way, lol. so yeah the car costs 10k, the vintage number plate, single D alphabet costs about rm6-12k nowadays on motortrader, so at best im paying rm4k for the car. hahaha. not too bad of a deal i guess. just parts being a killer

Honda Road tax sticker, only RM5 (USD2) hahah

watch the video below and u can see how jay leno has his fun

1964 Honda SM600 - Video - Jay Leno's Garage

Last edited:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Kevin, looks like your Wrangler and my car has the same mother (MBF)....MY car was bought in by them in year 2000.

Suzuki Jimmy...nice little 4x4...very bumpy ride...I had 1 too but also stolen after 4 months I sold it to another guy.

Last edited:

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
kev: USD 2 for the sticker u bought it online? wrangler must be fun to drive around with the open top.., can chop off the roof of jimmy if cant afford a wrangler ..

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
i guess they stopped the jeep dealership, knowing there are more popular offroaders out there, like the toyota landcruiser and mitsubishi pajero at about the same price. sad to see about the jimny!

well mick, i bought the sticker locally, just explain to non locals how does it costs in USD, lol

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
if jeep dealership is still here till now, they will be more choices of SUV and 4x4 rather then just plain japanese and korean

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
well there is hummer but thats way way out of anyones budget, hahah! i think u can get jeep thru naza, but have to pay to the nose la, like the sultan of johor have jeep liberty SUV, hahah

so yeah mick, were u in contiliovers, if so what do u drive now

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
hardly see any jeep on the road except for the cherokee and wrangler.., i think naza dun have also,.hummer?? too expensive to even pay for the petrol, in Malaysia consider a luxury car, in america is just any other normal car on the road..

Im not member of contilover, but i visited the forum very frequent, like almost everyday..but not now anymore..Im only driving a humble lil mvyi..hehe, at my age, i got a myvi also consider very good d

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Mick, no, i'm not based in kl.

Anyway, original stickers are not cheap. Some people can't believe the prices. My set of door stickers for my eg, rm150. And I sold my previous one for like 140 due to it being for the white/lighter tone cars, and mine is black.

Conti's of the 90's are leaps and bounds technology wise from the japanese, with regards to electronics. Some people gush at the digital meters of the newer model cars, some conti's have this in their early 90's model.

That being said, the prices of cars are ridiculous in Malaysia. A false sense of affordability due to 9 year loan terms. Try 3-5years that's the actual realistic loan term used world wide. It also means that cars depreciate faster, so a grad can actually drive a 2nd hand bmw, unlike here, where a grad is happy if he can buy a saga BLM with a 9 year loan term when he initially starts work.

Too bad the common new=better mindset is prevalent in Malaysia. With 70k-90k for a new car, One can buy an unpopular old car on the cheap, fix it up, and have money left over to gold plate the body panels. Lol.
Unless someone crazy enough to do this, I doubt people will realize how much they're paying vs what they get in return.

I think kev also realises the amount he spent is meager compared to foreign restoration works.

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
@mick, yeah well the jeep dealership has dissapeared. actually when mercedes was under the daimler chrysler helm, they planned to reintroduce the chrysler brand in malaysia, which is famed for the chrysler 300c, as found in the singapore taxi, but that never happened. the chrysler brand also includes a possibility reintroduction of the jeep brand under cycle and carriage malaysia. oh well, malaysians and their liking for japanese 4wd, no comments!

oh yes, stickers are not cheap, at all, lol, well NOS original items always cost heaps and bomb haha, but yeah in malaysia, you dont know what u'd find hidden behind the stock room, hahahha. actually, shiro, digital meters have existed in the 80s, in optional upgrade packages. u'd find this in the dashes of the ae86, honda cr-x, nissan laurel, etc

as seen here in the picture, 1985 nissan laurel dash

Mitsubishi Lancer Digital Dash

oh yeah, sometimes, old is gold, depending if you know what u are doing and ur mech doesnt simply modify your car. you know bodyworks could cost like 7000 USDs for the amount of work that could be done on my car, compared to what, rm3500, thats a bargain!

Last edited:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Hahaha....those pic reminds me of my mum's 1980s Honda Accord with Digital dash as well.

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
ur mom's accord was a CBU or parallel import? haha

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
well..since chrysler is most probably not be coming to malaysia, hopefully chevrolet will bring more american models here..

the digital meter really looks like those on the civic.., i guess many of malaysian havent really seen this kind of tecnology which existed long time ago other than the civic...very futuristic, makes me think of the car (GMC i think) on the "back to the future"..

I think when comes to restoration work..i think in US as wat isee (from Discovery Turbo), there work really looks profesional..maybe thats why the cost it self is expensive..

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
ur mom's accord was a CBU or parallel import? haha
I have no idea since i was very small that time...

mick, yeah...Dis Turbo is very nice especially Overhaulin...

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
well..since chrysler is most probably not be coming to malaysia, hopefully chevrolet will bring more american models here..

the digital meter really looks like those on the civic.., i guess many of malaysian havent really seen this kind of tecnology which existed long time ago other than the civic...very futuristic, makes me think of the car (GMC i think) on the "back to the future"..

I think when comes to restoration work..i think in US as wat isee (from Discovery Turbo), there work really looks profesional..maybe thats why the cost it self is expensive..
the only closest thing the chevrolet can bring in, is the chevy faced isuzu, the chevrolet colorado pick up truck. thats the closest thing u can get american, else u have the ford pick up truck, as usual. if the dodge ram ever makes it to malaysia that be insane, haha

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
Titan: but overhaulin seems repeating all the time as well as fifth gear

Kev: the cruze looks American if really modify bit, I think the only biggest truck we have here is the navara, can't compare to those ford f series truck

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
well, yes, if u watch hawaii five o, they use that as their cop car, hehehe

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
So if a Honda S600 is loud, lets watch how loud it gets when multiple S car passes in Suzuka Circuit

YouTube -

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
my welder reattaches the grill to the car, with new screws. merry christmas and happy new year to all forumers

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
Finally assembling, grinding and putting the headlight buckets in the car.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello.. just wanna know, isit a problem if the engine block sound like 'ktik-ktik' (as it was very hot) after a long jurney?? fyi, i drove astina bpt with std i/c and no air scoop or what so ever..
:X-:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience