Radiator water decreassing .

G_ti

Known Member
My GTI's radiator water always decreassing . I have checked with few mechanics and they can't find any leakage . Futher more different mechanics telling different stories . Latest 1 , asked me to change the water pump .

Anyone , had experienced this b4 or have any idea . I don't want to throw away my money by just doing unreleven experiments .

Pls advise , i much more believe you guys rather then mechanics . Where do i start ??:emoticon_U: :emoticon_U:

How often do you have to refill? Sometimes some leaks arent visible cus it evaporates real fast if its due to a small crack.

1 week once about 2 of small coke bottle . I tried parked my car at a same place without moving it little bit and without starting the car for few days to see where the leakage is , but still i cannot find it .

It's really freaking me out , because the temp rises sky high if got stuck in jam . But it will comes don't again when the car is moving .

2 causes.

1. Check your pipings for leakage, not exhaust piping, radiator related piping.
2. Fan is not functioning, causes overheat and water is condensed, therefore water goes missing, your tempreature will not go high, because ure water is there.

..agree with sakuraguy..
check ur cooling system, there is no reason for loosing water other than leakages..or faulty radaitor fan

Here's a way to effectively check for leaks if you haven't tried already. I use to get puzzled cuz last time my radiator water keep on going down and i can't find any leak, it is probably because when it leak the water just vapourized cuz its hot..

Go buy a bottle of toyota long life coolant, its one of the best you'll ever need. just flush the radiator with tap water, after that put in that bottle of coolant (make sure you screw back the radiator flush cap at the bottom or else you gonna waste the coolant). this way, you can see spot of red fluid on the floor or in your engine bay if it really leaks. summore water mixed with toyota coolant won't dry off for a few days at least, so its another way to see whether it leak or not.

ur car got fill any coolant onot?
if got coolant u should see the color on the floor if u park inside ur house.
if there is no any outter leakage...
there muz be internal leakage.
did ur car over heat b4? the temp meter raise?
may be ur cylinder head gasket burn and cause in ternal leakage inside ur engine.
u can try to drain out ur engine oil to see got water mixed in the oil sump onot.
coz water is heavier thn oil.
u can see the water coming out 1st...thn flow wif the black oil.
in this case, there is noting can do wif the water pump except got leaking from there.

my pajero got this prob last time, 2 cause water pump is not seal correctly then the pipe r leaking

hmmm, could be anything in the cooling system ler.. but i would rule out water pump as ur temp is good when ur car is moving, means circulation is there.. probably the radiator fan, some small leaks or maybe even just a simple worn out radiator cap..

radiator

If temp heating when jam/stationary for a long time....

Could be Radiator Cap,waterpump, radaitor fan (not working or not powerful enough) Or wrose situation head gasket slightly leaking.....hope not..

Guys ..how about when u go over 100kmh constantly the temp rises but back to normal just when u drive nicely 60-80kmh ..any idea. TQ

meter

4ep82 said:
Guys ..how about when u go over 100kmh constantly the temp rises but back to normal just when u drive nicely 60-80kmh ..any idea. TQ

That sounds like u have a faulty meter bro...

putra4767 said:
That sounds like u have a faulty meter bro...

Okay ..but any chances the radiator system got clogged overtime. Tq.

yup, clean it , but i suggest u get a custom radiator, the fin r closer so it is more cooler

My Civic EG has a similar prob too- have to refill a bit of water and temp goes up during jam; but when moving it's okay. Thought that it could be a fan problem but mech checked and says that the fan is fine. He suggested 2 things this morning :

1) Head gasket leak. Need a day to repair @ RM900.
2) Water pump. May need to change @ RM200.

Anyone knows if the price is reasonable? I like to go back to Honda SC to check but the mech is nearer and he normally services my Proton. Really need some good advice. Thanks.

pinjam penutup radiator member pakai 2 / 3 hari pati ada perubahan............... wap air yang keluar tidak dapat dikesan dengan mata kasar.. pakailah radiator cap yang ori...

know what 200 is cheap mine is 300 ok. think u should check leak behind da engine.

hmmm possible problem

1.damage radiator cap/rubber on readiator cap hardden edi
2.radiator too dirty,need flushing(too dirty can cause temp heat to rise thus water is vaporise or leak out the escape hole)
3.leak at piping/hardden piping
4.leak at water pump(mostly can cause major leakage.happen to me once)
5.leat at thermostat (happen to me oso,after it jammed lead to burst water pump T_T)
6.water jaket

Last edited:
Actually my radiator coolant/water also seems to go down after awhile .. But very little by little la after a period of time.. Its like, 1 month lidet maybe go down a little bit, 1cm lidet.. Is it normal?

My water temperature is normal all the time, nicely in the middle .. Only one time in my 25,000km drive that i experienced the temp go up one bar higher, that time because i high rev alot ..

Looked thru some other threads and found that OEM head gasket is less than RM700. Another ZTH member was also quoted RM1,000 from his mech- hmmm, looks like the outside mechs actually charge more than Honda SC at times.

My dad's mechs told me that to test the gasket got leakage or not, to do the following :

1) Open the radiator cap;
2) Pour full water;
3) Start engine.

If water comes out like fountain, then yes, gasket gone. I've tried this and saw no such "fountain". Does that mean that my gasket is actually okay?

His mechs suspect that the water pump is konked. Now my dilemma is whose judgement to trust. Really frustrating...

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom