Racing Talk

bhp135

Feb 2, 2006
Let talk about racing and hope to share some experience on the track.

I understand that in Sepang Track, the first corner from the starting grid is the hardest corner to judge what speed to go and gear to engage as well, is there anyone with experience know how to get the max speed in this corner?
All I know is that when cars are in front and reaching the corner first, then I’ll learn from their speed, but when alone, I just couldn’t figure the max speed to be.
I think this is also due to different car got different ranges of drive train and horsepower. FYI, I’m racing with a 135BHP proton putra (slight modification) without lsd gearbox and normal 1.8 gear box. A set of adjustable susp and 195/50/15 profile

spyderslr

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2004
Turn 1 is not the hardest of the 15 turns in SIC ....i tot it is too when i 1st went in........the hardest turn for me is still Turn 13 to 14.....Turn 13 is a fast sweeping long right hander n b4 u finish tat, u haf to brake in the midst of it n get ready for Turn 14....it is quite hard to judge for the braking n cornering line unless u r very experienced on the track...hehehe...seen quite some cars spun out there as well..... =)....

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
Turns 13/14 are very important as it leads to the 800m back straight . The top GTI championship cars do about 100km/h @ exit speed 3rd

BoatOwner

Known Member
Feb 25, 2004
morris-racing.com
faisal said:
Turns 13/14 are very important as it leads to the 800m back straight . The top GTI championship cars do about 100km/h @ exit speed 3rd
Yeah it's very much worth it to sacrifice T13 slightly to get a good run through T14. That 1kph faster you go through T13 will only be 1kph faster for a very short time because you'll be braking very soon... whereas T14 leads onto the long straight you mention.

What at first is not obvious to many is that getting fast corners absolutely spot on is more important than the slow corners that lead onto long straights. T5/6 for example are very important for a fast laptime.If you lose 2kph into T5 where you are going very fast... the car will have a very difficult time getting back upto speed. Losing 2kph in T2 is nothing by comparison.

It takes a lot longer to accelerate from 180 to 190 than it does from 80 to 90.

I wouldn't list T1 as one of the most difficult on the track.. just go in fast, no point taking a wide line as you'll soon be braking for T2 anyway.

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
Boatowner,

190km/h? hmm I take it this is in reference to single seater car?? a Formula BMW perhaps :-) I've only driven FF 1.6 & 1.8 race cars and my own FR road car.. never manage to reach 190km/h (actual speed not indicated)

T5 & T6 are for me important for that max speed on the straight before 7 & 8. I've seen some people "wash" wide at the exit of 6 losing any sort of momentum

My least favorite are T 1 & 2. The drop at 2 is just horrendous in a FF car. have to really wait before getting on the throttle. And Turn 9... that incline in a low powered FF car is horrendous... why can't we have Eau Rouge( Spa ) style climbs???

BoatOwner

Known Member
Feb 25, 2004
morris-racing.com
Well i just really threw those numbers out of my hat.. thinking fbmw-like speeds, no accurate figures. :regular_smile:

I love turns 1&2 :regular_smile: The drop in T2 is wicked cool!

T9 is wicked in a car with enough power to spin the wheels (rear wheels that is).. but i haven't really driven anything fast enough to make it very overly exciting either... in a normal road car (oh say a volvo 240 or standard 1.6 subaru) the climb is annoying as hell.

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
Try that climb in a std 1.6 Satria and you'll start hating it more.

In my 1.6 FR, T9 IS wicked, get to clip the apex while at 1 turn opp lock, spining the rears in 2nd gear..... till I get RED flagged for " drifting" la.hahah. SIC marshalls are such killjoy

ashes

Aug 13, 2004
My Entry to T12 is around 170kph, while you slightly drifted away to T13 the speed reduce to 160kph and brakes while your steering is steer to T14 and drop to 3rd with 6500rpm, before exiting T14. but this with Evo6 RS MSS Spec.

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
bhp135 said:
All I know is that when cars are in front and reaching the corner first, then I’ll learn from their speed,
I think this is rather dangerous actually...
Reason being that YOU and YOUR CAR's ability would be different from that of the car in front of you. You should be driving based on your abilities and your car's. Not based on the car in front of you. The car in front of you could be entering a corner at a much higher speed, coz it can. If you follow and its beyond your capabilities, you'll find yourself in trouble...

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
I also think turns 13 and 14 are the hardest. Turn 13 sweeps into 14 which requires quite a bit of commitment. And reaching 14, your virtually braking in a corner. Being in control and in balance is really important here. On top of that, theres quite a number of racing lines to choose from.... and getting thr right one is not that easy... but when you look at F1 cars through these corners, only then you can appreciate how fast F1 cars really are!!!

exiting nicely here means, i can get about 180kmph at the rear straights. Exiting nicely at turn 15, gets me about 190kmph i guess (habis meter laa for sure).

|| jim ||

Known Member
Dec 2, 2005
BoatOwner said:
Well i just really threw those numbers out of my hat.. thinking fbmw-like speeds, no accurate figures. :regular_smile:

I love turns 1&2 :regular_smile: The drop in T2 is wicked cool!

T9 is wicked in a car with enough power to spin the wheels (rear wheels that is).. but i haven't really driven anything fast enough to make it very overly exciting either... in a normal road car (oh say a volvo 240 or standard 1.6 subaru) the climb is annoying as hell.
when did u drive a subaru there? and yea.. i love the wheel spin in turn 9 haha.. but my fav corner of all is after turn 2.. i love the bumpy braking into a quick uphill, slightly blind 90 degree corner like that.. i also like the turn 6-7 combination corner, where u take the two corners as one..

spyderslr

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2004
i guess u r referring to Turn 4 n Turn 7,8 .....

|| jim ||

Known Member
Dec 2, 2005
ahh yes.. sorry.. forgot there was a corner between 2 and 4.. haha..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hope this post will answer some of your questions in mind.

Where is it suppose to be connected?

I had a debate with a friend of mine who question my OCT connection which I installed recently. I had connected it in between the driver side head cover outlet (PCV?) & to the manifold. Is the installation correct? I think it is if according to this post ...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience