Proton Putra

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
hey guys,
i recently bought a 2nd hand putra and was wondering what are the first few mods that need to be done to it.

was looking at either tyres, suspensions, intake and exhaust, or adding gadgets.

suspensions: i might be going for titans...any putras here that has been titan-ed? stanley(ninja_iga) can give me an insight as to what springs are used for the putra setup. cause mine currently the rear is wayyyy to soft. if max loading or even add 2 passengers, the rear sags kau kau and scratches the tyres (15 inch rims only)

intake + exhaust: for intake, i'm definitely going for the apexi power intake but i don't know whether i should put powerzone's extractor (it's the only brand i know so far that has proven to work for 1.5 wiras...don't know about the others) and then what about the piping? what size should i use? and what muffler should i use to give a bassy idling sound and also a really nice bassy roar when i go full throttle. how much difference is there if i follow the original piping route? how many bullets to put if i want to remove the catalytic converter? should i even remove it? (all the harmful gasses...innocent ppl will die :P)

gadgets: my idling's a little high when i start the car (2000 rpm!) but it slowly goes down after about 40 seconds. anyway, should i just use an SAFCII to fine tune my air/fuel ratios or greddy e-manage? i just wanna know which would do the job better for the price i pay. where's the best place to get it from and also dyno tuning it?
oh yeah, was thinking of getting an oil cooler too since i will want to go on SIC so better keep my oil cool right? thus making an oil temperature gauge nesccesary?

hope you guys can help me out right.

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
mivec it...if not...theres a guy selling turbo kit rite...so run it at 0.5 boost should not b a prob...

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
dude, i don't intend to rojak or go turbo yet.

i already know what i want to do, but i'm looking for opinions on my setups.

anyway,

there's this yokohama tyre shop in sunway (esso turn right, facing the new ugly green buildings) was wonderign if they're reliable or not?

and are HWL suspensions good? i mean compared to titans there's about 1k difference....hmmm. any users here with feedback?

thanks.

Crash

1,500 RPM
Dec 2, 2003
Kay-El
vernonchan.com
Originally posted by whatdamn@Feb 13 2005, 11:31
hey guys,
i recently bought a 2nd hand putra and was wondering what are the first few mods that need to be done to it.

was looking at either tyres, suspensions, intake and exhaust, or adding gadgets.

suspensions: i might be going for titans...any putras here that has been titan-ed? stanley(ninja_iga) can give me an insight as to what springs are used for the putra setup. cause mine currently the rear is wayyyy to soft. if max loading or even add 2 passengers, the rear sags kau kau and scratches the tyres (15 inch rims only)

intake + exhaust: for intake, i'm definitely going for the apexi power intake but i don't know whether i should put powerzone's extractor (it's the only brand i know so far that has proven to work for 1.5 wiras...don't know about the others) and then what about the piping? what size should i use? and what muffler should i use to give a bassy idling sound and also a really nice bassy roar when i go full throttle. how much difference is there if i follow the original piping route? how many bullets to put if i want to remove the catalytic converter? should i even remove it? (all the harmful gasses...innocent ppl will die :P)

gadgets: my idling's a little high when i start the car (2000 rpm!) but it slowly goes down after about 40 seconds. anyway, should i just use an SAFCII to fine tune my air/fuel ratios or greddy e-manage? i just wanna know which would do the job better for the price i pay. where's the best place to get it from and also dyno tuning it?
oh yeah, was thinking of getting an oil cooler too since i will want to go on SIC so better keep my oil cool right? thus making an oil temperature gauge nesccesary?

hope you guys can help me out right.

hey whadamn,

firstly, congrats on the Putra purchase. I'm sure this baby will satisfy and bring you smiles for the next couple of years at least. Ok, let's get down to business.

Suspension:
Titans, although initially pricey, is a good choice. Just ask the Titan-ed rides on ZTH. Or get ninja_iga for advice or a demo ride. You can use them forever basically. Try Jap ones like Tein if you have the budget. HWLs aren't too bad IMHO but as with local products, consistency of quality is an issue. You may also try RGs. In general, just go for coilovers, saves money in the long run. Don't have to replace absorbers every year or two. :)

Engine:
I would almost always recommend a performance drop-in replacement air filter like a K&N or PiperCross. Couple that with a CAI (cold air intake) straight from the stock airbox. This is guaranteed to free up some HP. This is a budget option. If you have the dosh, try an ARC, PiperCross Viper or equivalent which looks and performs great! Open pods do nothing but sound good and suck in hot air from the engine bay, even with a heatshield.

For exhaust mods, a tuned-length exhaust header is essential. The PZ header is a good choice. Have a 2" stainless steel straight flow piping installed with perhaps a Sebring mid bullet, replacing your cat. Get an Apexi Super Megaphone muffler and you'll be rewarded with an addictive bassy burble at idle. :) Want even more substantial performance gains? Get a set of PZ cams with adjustable cam pulleys. :D NICE.

Engine Management
The SAFCII is a good option. A piggyback ECU will certainly give you at least 5-8hp gains, just by leaning the air-fuel mixture. But remember, in general, the EMS is only as good as the tuner. So go to a reputable tuner. Whether its an SAFC, e-manage, Superchip, etc..., an experienced tuner is important.

Hope this helps. Good luck and happy modding!

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
thanks crash, UGPM

anyone else has anything to share...would like to hear more about HWL suspensions too.

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
I think as far as the Putra 4G93P engine is concern, a ZTH member called Ilsaw has built a great machine.

amir1218

Nov 25, 2004
first thing upgrade your tyres.

suspension upgrade. titans are good, you pay for the excellent after sales service. HWL is pretty good, they use good material. both can be customed, so depends on your prefence, talk to the manufacturer, and tell him what you want.

then, off to your brakes, stainless stell hoses, better brake pads, slotted disc perhaps and if you want to go all out, twin pot calipers.

if your suspension bushes are wearing out, might as well change those to. upgrade to the PU ones, seriously improve sterring feel and hadling.

about your engine, might as well go all out. cams, bigger bore pistons, higher CR, remap ECU or piggyback. then when you do your exhaust and intake, it will match better.

if you're running stock, an exhaust mod wont do that much, unless you change the whole system. a safc might help, but you might be running just nice right now (you never know till you check with a wideband)

an intake system, better to make it talk in cold air.

hope this helps

PutraCraze

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
used hwl MT4... would to recommend u to used 5kg front n 3kg rear progressive coil spring if u get hwl... very satisfied with hwl...

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
oh thanks guys. hmm, looking for lightly tuned 4G93P la...not to obnoxious. something that i can still use as a daily driver as well as for open track days.

as for suspensions, thinking of a slight oversteer setup, any comments/opinions?

hmm, what's the current diameter of my exhaust pipe anyway?

anyone used the new low cost viper cold air induction system?

peterink2000

Known Member
Jan 8, 2005
Old Klang Rd
Visit site
I have a set of HWL height adjustables for sale. RM400.00 only. Front need to be rebuilt, rear is perfect. For Perdana V6 punya.

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
whatdamn : hey bro! ahaha im using HWL as well. Need any info abt them u can ask me, i'll answer based on my knowledge. HEHE

putra ei? :ph34r: another monster coming up

oh abt the shop u mentioned, the YOKOHAMA shop... its called Leong Seng. Reliable? er... they do a pretty good job FOR the PRICE u pay. I changed my wheels there... pretty satisfied la.. hehe
=)

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
thanks guys,

i have to do things in stages la...i mean saving rm500 a month is tedious as that's my monthly allowance only. so after makan and all probably left with rm300 at best by the end of the month.

so it'll take months before i can build a monster. :(

any financial advisors here willing to lend a hand to help me in understanding money management?

or if someone can tell me the steps to spend my cash like in stages to suit my budget would be great. :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Sorry if i repost it. I tried to search but cant find it.

Anyone actually tried it yet?
well I just found it out from this Motor Trader Magazine 17th-23rd August 2006 Issue 295
Page156 ...advertisment is at the corner (south-east)

It stated like this ,
SAVE FUEL running more 20km-60km per tank, 30days money back guarantee
RM98.00
call XXX-XXXXXXX
location KL

I just want to check if anyone use it yet???
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience