Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

Please comment on cars with MANY previous owners

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

onz

hey guys,

Is it normal for sports cars that us enthusiasts like, to have many previous owners?
For example, an FC with 5 previous owners, a 91' 180sx with 7 previous owners...

I'm scouting around, and while I do find some cars with only 1 or 2 prev owners, I find some with unusually high numbers such as stated above.

IS this a normal thing to see amongst such cars? Something seriously wrong with the car? Perhaps all previous owners were so rich that cars just come and go for them?

I appreciate any comments with regards to buying such cars, as I'm looking for a car myself.

Thanks and Regards

for me, i wud go for a car with less previous owners. the price might b slightly higher, but i think it sounds better. :)

many user doesnt mean the car is no good or in accident before... if it is first owner wanted to sell car but that car involved in many accidents, i wont like to buy but instead of care owner but owned by many owners before...

my 2 cents

Well my experience with 2 180sx's is as follows;

1) 1 or 2 previous owners (can't remember), condition was really bad. Front bumper/lights out of badly out of alignment (frontal accident?) exterior and interior was shabby and muddy, seats torn, owner was only into modding the car (alot), but did not take care of the rest of the car.

2) 7 previous owners. Pretty close to stock. Engine was replaced once (previous one blown?), exterior and interior seemed pretty well maintained, test drove it and loved it. Checked chassis under bonnet, No obvious signs of major accidents, no signs of rust or roof leakage...

Both selling at the same price.

I really liked 180sx number 2. Though I couldn't stop thinking.. why were there so many previous owners, but it looks good! Sigh.. decisions.. decisions...

onz,

Guess the choice is pretty straight forward. Go for the car which is in best condition. Either that, bring a mechanic along to double check on the condition and if possible get him to test drive to tell if there's any problem. To be honest, 7 previous owner is pretty damn a lot but priority should be given to actual condition of the car.

Also, i think its more of a norm for sports cars to have so many owners. Some buy it, drive it for 3 months and realised its not practical/convenient and then sell. The next owner probably is a flashy guy who buys this car and realise he wants some faster and more flashy and sells it. The next owner is probably a guy who thinks he made it big, then buy a sports car and realise he couldn't pay the installment and sells it. Well it doesn't mean its a bad car, maybe its just luck that this car has so many previous owner.

1 direct impact, 2nd car dealer will tekan your price for sure, but you can sell the car yourself without going through dealer.

2 things to think about.

1. car has many problems, unsolved or repeating. maybe something to do with alignment (chassis out of alignment due to improper repair), or squeaking noise from dashboard.

2. all 7 owners cant afford monthly instalment, must sell fast. ha ha ha..

my 2 ringgit.

I think priority is the condition of the car. If its had numerous onwers and its good. It ok laa right. Its just that you just need to be extra cautious and question why its had so many owners... but priority is car's condition

izzit all d previous owners r rich? if yes they sell car coz off get bored with it maybe.....

like tat..u juz test-drive for a long distance.....like half an hour drive or longer....too see the condition in car.....see wil overheat o not....and try to ask for warranty when u buy..so any problems u stil can refer bc to d seller....

how many owners drive before doesnt matter....gotta see how they take care of it.....hope u make a wise decision o.....

one more thing... if u can see minor patch up or scratches here and there, that's a good sign. if car had just been complete resprayed..he he be extra cautios.

some cars its just luck la. My brother's FD RX7 (he's the 1st owner) after he sold it off within 1 year it change 5 owners lol. 1 couldn't afford the maintanence, 1 couldn't afford the monthly, and the other 3 owners BLEW the engine then fixed the car and sold it off lol. such a shame, that car was in absolute stunning condition too :(

in teory the lesser owner the better.

however there are always exception to the rule, esp if the car isnt well taken care off = ie datins who dont send for car services ;).

if the change of ownership is short, one needs to look at 'what' could be wrong. ie maintenence is killer, engine always overheat/problems

sometimes people buy car on impulse & they cannot afford the maintenence, so the sell. (in most cases people sell their cars again because they become bored/cannot tahan sent for service)

typically, the exterior tells very little of the overall. engine note, fixtures etc will help in your final decision.

arpund 5 for a 20 year car is normal la...

if 7 and a bove quite a lot leh//

Emm my car had about 5-7 owners before, cant remember the exact no. though. WHen i bought it interior is ok, exterior also ok. After a few months got overheat prob but that's now solved and i'm lovin it!! :)

Top Bottom