Toyo R1R vs Federal 595 RS-R (Any Comment?)

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
Hi guys,

Now I am confusing on which tires to choose between Toyo R1R vs Federal 595 RS-R.

One from Made in Japan & one Made in Taiwan.

Both thread wear also 140.

Looking for 195/50/15 for Sepang track use.

Anyone can give some opinion :confused:

westhug

Known Member
Feb 17, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
I would stay away from Federal tyres if I were you. I'm not going to mention it why but try google for it. I had real bad experience with their tyres.

180jin

Feb 21, 2010
USJ
Why not give Achilles 123 a try? RM 260 a piece for 15" and was used as 2009 Sepang 1000 KM official tyres. I ran with it in Sepang in a recent track day and shaved 5 seconds off my previous time when I used Achilles ATR Sport with everything else the same on the car.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
other than that theres also the Nankang NS2-R which is supposed to be a track tire... so far initial reviews seem to be pretty decent.

as for R1R vs RSR... i was considering the same thing last time and i went with the RSR... mainly coz i wanted 205/50/15 and R1R no have.

but if u google for reviews on those 2, ull notice that theyre quite evenly matched.... only the RSR getting slightly better reviews.... another thing to consider is that WTAC listed the RSR in their semi slick category while the R1R is not in sight.

sidewall cracking... i have friends who use them quite heavily... for daily drive as well as track and holding up pretty well... my set is rarely used coz my car doesnt see much mileage.

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
There is no comparison .... really ... it's totally in a different class ...
Different class? What do you mean by different class?

Both also is 140 thread-wear...

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

other than that theres also the Nankang NS2-R which is supposed to be a track tire... so far initial reviews seem to be pretty decent.

as for R1R vs RSR... i was considering the same thing last time and i went with the RSR... mainly coz i wanted 205/50/15 and R1R no have.

but if u google for reviews on those 2, ull notice that theyre quite evenly matched.... only the RSR getting slightly better reviews.... another thing to consider is that WTAC listed the RSR in their semi slick category while the R1R is not in sight.

sidewall cracking... i have friends who use them quite heavily... for daily drive as well as track and holding up pretty well... my set is rarely used coz my car doesnt see much mileage.
Which mean? in-terms of gripping RS-R is way better than R1R? Both also categorize under Street Car category in TTA event.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I just changed to Federal 595 RSR today and my gawd the tyres are good. But it has to be pointed out my car is an underpowered Wira Aeroback so it's reasonably light weight and there's no chance in hell I'll wheel spin this tyre.

205/50/15.

Feedback is they are rock hard. That might explain why some people say the sidewall is prone to breaking. The physical tyre construction was made much stiffer than its competitors so that's probably why they are that much stiffer. The guy who sold me this compared it to the AD08R which has fantastic grip but the overall construction of the tyre made it prone to overheating faster than the RSR. I don't know - this is salesman talk perhaps. But I'm sure there's a damn good reason why ALL his AD08R was sold out and only RSR was left over.

But anyhow, after switching to this tyre I've had some chances to drive my regular testing grounds and really gun it. And daaaaaaaaaaaamn it's good. I haven't had more than 200km with this tyre and it's damn grippy but goddamn noisy. I have a feeling though - if I find the limits of this tyre it'll probably just let go, pretty much like the lower range 595 Evo.

But for RM370 a piece I'm not complaining la. Awesome grip, 140 threadwear, AA Traction and A temperature.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Wah! so grippy! Have not got a chance to try extreme tyres in my VR. Hope can try Nankang NS-2R or GT Radial SX2 later on...

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
not sure bout R1R but was using T1R last time, sidewall so soft & hopeless, just grased the curb abit & torn the sidewalls, it was a new tire summore. bout federal 595 evo sidewall always bengkak, avoided those brand long time ago.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
not sure bout R1R but was using T1R last time, sidewall so soft & hopeless, just grased the curb abit & torn the sidewalls, it was a new tire summore. bout federal 595 evo sidewall always bengkak, avoided those brand long time ago.
T1-R is daily use tyre. R-1R is track base. T1-R also used before cannot hold my VR, too soft to corner, wheel spin in wet. You use in your Perdana?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Sifu,

i planning to send my engine for full balancing but i don have any idea who and where to send it.I heard there is 1 in damansara but im not sure abt it. Any other recommend reputated machinery shop can do this in kl? how much would they charge?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience