Performance upgrade for Volvo 850??

nickster1982

Known Member
Jun 9, 2005
M'sia
Hey all...

Just wanna ask any of u some advise on upgrades and mods for my Volvo 850SE (10v).

The car has been lying in my car porch and seldom used. I dun want to sell it b'cos my family spent a lot to buy and maintain it, and also it ain't worth much these days. So I just plan to modify it and keep it.

Spoke to my Volvo mechanic abt this, but he suggested that i keep the car in the original state it is. The engine is in excellent condition, but I find that the acceleration of the car is too sluggish. So i want to add another 20-30hp to it. Hope you all could share and enlighten me on how i could achieve this.

Many ppl told me to just put in a turbo charger. However, I dun want this as I dun like maintaining a turbo engine. Susah la. So are there any other performance parts or chips that I can add to gain this extra power.

My uncle had a Saab 9-5. He managed to achieve 20hp more by installing some performance chip. Is there a similar kind of chip for Volvos?

Anyway, i will appreciate all your help and advise.

Thanks! :)

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Opt for standalone management - more tuning features or alternatively, piggyback management and perhaps NOS?

jeffblazed

1,000 RPM
Nov 7, 2004
nickster1982 said:
Hey all...

Just wanna ask any of u some advise on upgrades and mods for my Volvo 850SE (10v).

The car has been lying in my car porch and seldom used. I dun want to sell it b'cos my family spent a lot to buy and maintain it, and also it ain't worth much these days. So I just plan to modify it and keep it.

Spoke to my Volvo mechanic abt this, but he suggested that i keep the car in the original state it is. The engine is in excellent condition, but I find that the acceleration of the car is too sluggish. So i want to add another 20-30hp to it. Hope you all could share and enlighten me on how i could achieve this.

Many ppl told me to just put in a turbo charger. However, I dun want this as I dun like maintaining a turbo engine. Susah la. So are there any other performance parts or chips that I can add to gain this extra power.

My uncle had a Saab 9-5. He managed to achieve 20hp more by installing some performance chip. Is there a similar kind of chip for Volvos?

Anyway, i will appreciate all your help and advise.

Thanks! :)
aiya brader tukar engine terus lah .......get the t5...or 850r half kat....

CcL

500 RPM
Nov 25, 2003
20-30 horses can be done by just chipping
we use unichip. done and proven long ago.

however even with 20-30 horses more. a lightly modded 940turbo can tapau u upside down. trust me. i know this bcoz the fellow who did chipping was trying to chase me on the high way. he over-rev and oil-pump rosak at the same time. whole engine blew. end of story, he got a T5R halfcut and plonk in the engine. :P (don't take this wrong. chipping doesn't blow engine. downshifting and revving over redline does!)

this conversion has been done by at least 4-5 ppl at my mech's place. many pushing 270-300 horses after chipping. there is one skyline blue 850SE running around now. malay owner. that has 300 horses. i drove it and a 850R before. this modded 850SE wins the R flat. 850's 5 cyclinder turbo engine is so smooth. you don't get whiplash when it kicks.

so if u have the budget. i say transplant. do come find volvo kakis @ www.vocm.com.my

ps. there is a widebodykit 850SE owner in there too. kit was done in daichi...

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
CCl,

What's the price for the 850 T5 chip? Specs? website?
What's the limit of the autobox?

I heard that after chipping, the gb must be always kept in "sport" mode, to prevent overheating, is it true?

nickster1982

Known Member
Jun 9, 2005
M'sia
Boggysv - I dunno what chip my uncle used, but he got it done at the Saab workshop...not those outside Performance tuners. I seriously have no idea what chip they used. I got to check with him.

Ccl - Thanks for your feedback. Very helpful. Uh, the 850SE that is running 300hp...what mods did the owner do? Just chipping?
Anyway, i would also like to know how much a T5R halfcut would cost. And if i go for this conversion, what other stuff do I need to change?

Btw, the yellow 850 looks cool...is it yer car? However, if it was in red...whoa...it will be very fierce looking! ;)

Thanks!

ModMaestro

Known Member
Jun 13, 2005
PJ & Sandakan
hehehe, that's me with the yellow 850.

Like they've al said, adding 20 to 30 won't help much. If you get the T5 halfcut, it would be better than trying to squeeze power from it in NA form. Unless you are dead set on going NA. But yeah, plonkng a custom turbo system would be a cuase of massives headaches(though I won't be practicing what I preach here, if you know what I mean)

nickster1982

Known Member
Jun 9, 2005
M'sia
Hmm...dropping a T5R engine into my car sounds like a great idea. However, my current engine will be wasted la...it is still in excellent condition. Maybe can trade it in, but not sure how much it will fetch.

Any idea how much it would all cost to convert my 850 to the 850R?!

Also i am looking for an auto gearknob for the Volvo 850...mine is cracking up la! Where can i possibly find one at a reasonable price?

mr_freak

Known Member
Apr 11, 2004
KL
Visit site
nickster1982 said:
Boggysv - I dunno what chip my uncle used, but he got it done at the Saab workshop...not those outside Performance tuners. I seriously have no idea what chip they used. I got to check with him.
Thanks!
Hi Nick,
If i not mistaken,ur uncle's chip might be a Hirsch chip cos now Auto Eurokars provides Hirsch parts and it comes with warranty as well :)

Anyway,may i know ur uncle's name? We at mytrolls.com are welcoming more SAAB owners :lol:

Sorry for the off topic but couldn't help replying to a SAAB post :p

Last edited:

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
nickster1982 said:
Hmm...dropping a T5R engine into my car sounds like a great idea. However, my current engine will be wasted la...it is still in excellent condition. Maybe can trade it in, but not sure how much it will fetch.

Any idea how much it would all cost to convert my 850 to the 850R?!

Also i am looking for an auto gearknob for the Volvo 850...mine is cracking up la! Where can i possibly find one at a reasonable price?
exactly.. mine is cracking up as well.. and i must say, 80% gone.. hahahah.. but nobody is driving the car... have been producing lots and lots of problem.. almost like a junk car already.. the only solution is waiting for a turbo engine to be plunk in.. but too bad, in Sarawak.. not much of these halfcut here.

efeet

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Hi guys,
You guys can get the replacement part of the auto gearknob at around RM180-200.. It isnt a lot to ask since its original... All volvos face the same problem.. I use to own a T5, there I know some little minor stuff about this series..

Theres nothing much you can do to the 10V.. Do not waste your money my friend..
Just save up and dump in a B5234T which is the same engine as the T5 and R...
Just get a 850 T5/R engine and gearbox and you are set to go.. 225HP stock.. and trust me, fuel consumption is EXACTLY like the GLE and GLT... You can get up to 300hp safely by just purchasing a TME map, and catback system.. And if you want a little more, get the TD-04 18T than your car will FLY!!! 260kmh no probs!

You can either sent ur ECU to Sweden for remapping or buy a plug and play ecu which is already remapped.. All original sensors will still work with the diagonis scanner...

AFter all this, your call will be smooth, reliable as stock and sstill does not drink petrol..
Thru my past experiences, I believe TME is your best bet for Volvo mods... Or.. sell your 10v and get a T5 straight!!! and then chip it.. You`ll be impressed, happy and satisfied.. Plus, you can still use eco or sport mode with no worries..

but of course, this is just in my opinion.. Good Luck

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
Is there anybody that can flash the chip on the spot here in malaysia?
I'm not too keen to send the chip away, nor buy a erplacement chip since mine's working fine.

How much is it anyways?

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
usually those T5 halfcut, do they usually come in good condition? how about the dashboard and bonnet.. still in good condition? Because I believe if transplant engine it is better to change even with the dashboard that it came with so that we can use all the wirings from there, more reliable..

And are those halfcut high in mileage?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

“In the past, the government drove Proton to invest in technology capable of building its own engine, its own car and to move away from rebadging. For years, the dealers had to sell these vehicles with a very thin margin, and the public had to pay more for Proton cars due to a higher cost of production.

Unlike the previous NAP, which was silent on Perodua as a national car, NAP 2014 stated Perodua as a national car, although Perodua is foreign-owned and only rebadging already...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience