NotSoITSavy Guy needs help...

minivan

1,500 RPM
Hi there Computer Gurus.... :D

I currently use a labtop from home and at work to access the net.
Not that IT savy, just a bit here and there. My Q is...

How do i go wireless and can have internet access at those hot spots around town?? What hardware / software do i need?? Anything else that i need??

Thanks guys.... B) :D

For the hardware part, you need a Wireless PCMCIA card which cost above RM150 and above.

For the software part, if you are using WinXP OS, you shouldn't be worrying about the drivers and you dont really need any special software.

To connect to those "Hot Spots", you have to register with them for some charges and they will guide you on how to connect.

There you go :D

Many hotspots are pay service such as Airzed, Maxis Utopia and TMnet Hotspot.

Places offering free WiFi in PJ / KL are:

1. Long Black, SS2 - next to Coffee Bean
2. Starbucks, Mont Kiara
3. Starbucks, Pusat Bandar Damansara

Setting up is easy especially with Windows XP SP2.

OK.... tq tq for the quick reply firewire and acbc...

any particular brand of card that you recommend??

connection wise?? how easy and how good is it??

Can you WIFI your home here in Malaysia?? Know that other parts of the world you can.... just asking.... B) :D

Another thing.... dun flame me... not an IT guy....

If you already have a streamyx account, you don't need to register anything else right?? or do i have to?? :P

It depends on your Streamyx account... some came with free Hotspot account - in this case, just find a TMnet Hotspot and login with your Streamyx username and password.

For those without Hotspot account, you need to activate from http://tmbill.tm.net.my, login with your Streamyx username / password and activate from there. Once done, it is activated immediately.

As for WiFi card, any 802.11b will do - cheaper since it is already common and most hotspot are still using 802.11b.

Latest is 802.11g - faster and compatible with 802.11b.

There is also 802.11a but it is rare and mostly use in corporate environment and freaking expensive... :P

quite useful is kelana jaya tmnet house of internet.. free coffee, sitting area + aircon.... just use tmnet hotspot.. :)

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom