Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

need info on Fairlady 300zx, how's it like owning one

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

stormlcc

500 RPM
hi guys, I'm very interested in the Fairlady 300zx for a long time, but because of financial limits, can't buy one, so now I'm driving a Cefiro A31.

This is one of my dream cars, now that my financial status is already stable, planning to get one in the near future....been trying to search one in motortraders but can't find any, anyone knows what's the price nowadays???

I know there are some Z car owners here in ZTH, anyone can give an opinion on how it feels like owning one? Is the durability on the VG30dett good? Any issues I should worry about if I buy this car? like parts that are hard to find and parts that easily break down...

Anyone tried to swap the engine to an RB series (like RB25det or RB26dett)??? I know it can be done but anyone tried it before, and is the conversion hard to complete..???

thanks for everything

haha, the 280zx is too old school for me, actually I like the shape of the 300zx, that's why i'm so interested in it, the shape and style of 300zx never gets outdated, same like the Supra and RX7, those designs can maintain for centuries to go...

stormlcc:

I have a 300zx. No real problems actually owning it. I had some trouble with the engine (old engine - 15 years already) so had to rebuild it. cost around 10K, but that should be one-time only.

Otherwise, runs fine actually. Enjoy driving it, though not daily driver.

If you're looking to get one for drifting/racing then you need to pump in alot of $$ to do it. V6 engine is smooth but not brutal. For brutal, must do single-turbo conversion. It's a GT car... touring.

need to ask more? dont hesitate! :)

m

mazranz, u spent 10k rebuilding your stock engine, why don't buy a halfcut and swap it? i think the price now is only around RM5000, including worksmanship that's only RM7000 (including timing belts and oils)

do you know how much they are selling the car nowadays? and how about spare parts? this car is very rare so i can't seem to find anyone who knows about the current market price

thanks

i have 300zx tat bought at year 2000. it is a good car i love. spare part is easy to get and u can buy it at nissan tanchong singapore. when i bought the car, i change new upper arm, lower arm, tie rod, steering rate, hks absorber, rear axle bush, hks2530 turbo kit, hks intercooler, F-CONZ, brembo F40 brake kit and etc. it can boost 1.2bar run about 400bhp. tat problem of tis car is leaking of targa roof and high temp of tis car.
after the engine burst at year 2004, then i start to use tis car for sepang drag race. i bought secondhand engine,ARC Radiator, HKS Oil cooler, 260 tomei can, nismo 555cc injector, trust spl intercooler,trust t88 turbo, twin bosch fuel pump, ATS tripple Carbon clutch, ATS 2way type D20 LSD and many....... it reach 750.6bhp/6610rpm, 89.2kg/m/6114rpm. 0-400m i did it 11.34sec with no light weight (1450kg) using Front 235/40zr18 tyre, rear hoosier drag radial 335/30/17.

bongochoo said:
i have 300zx tat bought at year 2000. it is a good car i love. spare part is easy to get and u can buy it at nissan tanchong singapore. when i bought the car, i change new upper arm, lower arm, tie rod, steering rate, hks absorber, rear axle bush, hks2530 turbo kit, hks intercooler, F-CONZ, brembo F40 brake kit and etc. it can boost 1.2bar run about 400bhp. tat problem of tis car is leaking of targa roof and high temp of tis car.
after the engine burst at year 2004, then i start to use tis car for sepang drag race. i bought secondhand engine,ARC Radiator, HKS Oil cooler, 260 tomei can, nismo 555cc injector, trust spl intercooler,trust t88 turbo, twin bosch fuel pump, ATS tripple Carbon clutch, ATS 2way type D20 LSD and many....... it reach 750.6bhp/6610rpm, 89.2kg/m/6114rpm. 0-400m i did it 11.34sec with no light weight (1450kg) using Front 235/40zr18 tyre, rear hoosier drag radial 335/30/17.

my god, a fairlady for drag race, and no weight lightening, if u take out everything that are useless in a drag race sure will get at least 10.5 sec i think. there's not many who will use this kind of car to drag, 'cause it's a damn heavy car, why don't you strip off all the useless stuff and see what results u can get???

and how much did u spend on your modifications alone?

RESPECT RESPECT!!!:shcokedcamo:

my car is yellow colour, may b tis is end of the result .u can visit at sepang drag topic or www.jerryong.com there is movie tat my friend took at sepang. it spend more then 100k of modification. cannot believe le.... such as t88 turbo costs 9k, ats carbon clutch 9.5k, ats 2way LSD 5k, haltech ECU 5.5k,trust SPL intercooler 5k, brembo F40 barke kit 13.5k, ARC radiator 4.8k, defi full set meter, kaminari bodykit and many many.......... . now it boost at 2.1 bar with dyno result and record tat did at sepang. cannot say it fast, coz some of the race car with no road tax,kosong or sambung kereta but i satisfly oredi. it worth 2 buy, coz tat shape is nice, strong iron block eng take care of water temp then not much problem of it. now it costs about 50k of tat car. now bad can try 2 own one unit.

shit, I really really like to own one now.....haha, soooooooo tempting....

see how much my cefiro can sell for downpayment, if can sell for more than RM27k then I think can take loan from bank, i think bank only give around RM20k to RM25k for a car of this age....

u will dissapoint coz tis car cant get any loan. tas y i keep n play until now.

ya, have to watch water temp... even highway on slightly tuned engine, going around 170/180 around lunch time... temp over 90!! but it cools down really fast when you're not pushing.

now if only I have enough $$ to do it up like bongochoo!

really can't get any loan??? even if it's a year 92 or 93 model? I think some banks or finance are still willing to give loan for 92 or 93 year models, but the interest will surely be very high, more than 8%. And the loan amount won't be large, 15k to max 20k only...

anyone has any ideas on this?

anything that can decrease the water temp going crazy??? like bigger radiator, or more air vents? actually whats the cause of this problem? is it the limited space inside the engine bay? I heard the engine bay is very compact and there's very little space for the hot air to move freely

even i change ARC radiator 36mm, nismo 62'themorstart.the water remain at 85'c. when i drag at sepang it go up to 100-105'c. solve tis problem i bought EWP(electric water pump) made in australia. it run down at 70'c even when u drag it just only 90'c.

tis car confirm cant get loan.

if the loan is small, take personal loan la... I think that's possible.

You only have to really about water temp when you're pushing the car la. normal driving so far ok. about 80'c on mine. morning/raining much cooler

hi! my z is my daily driver. my friend also the previous owner did some modification and my temp meter always stays in the middle. instead of 2 fans, mine has 3. there's an extra intercoller for the gear. the front looks pretty funny because you can see a small fan there but i guess it does the magic for keeping the temp cool. i am glad there are many Z lovers here. i am going to take out the auto tranny and chuck in the manual. any tips on what i should be aware of? has any Z lovers here done that before? cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerzzzzzzzzzz

about the loan... if the car is previously imported via Tan chong motor as 'kereta impot baru' which you can find this info in the car registration card, then the chances of getting a loan is brighter. i had no problem securing a loan because my Z was imported by tan chong. hope this info helps. some used car dealers got lubang to secure loan also.

when did u buy the car??? this kind of car is so old already, i think Tan Chong has no intention of importing it nowadays, somemore Nissan already launched the new Z....of course they will import the new model only....

eh ZluvaZ, u live in Ipoh ah??? I think I saw your car once in ipoh...near the airport road there, under the flyover....if not mistaken there's only one Z in Ipoh with that color of yours (purple is it)???

Top Bottom