Need help on car windscreen [urgent]

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Guys, CarPro ceriglass is only good for removing light haze and watermarks by hand. With a rotary buffer you can only reduce very light swirls and scratches. First of all you need to check the depth of the swirl/scratch mark, if you can feel with you fingernail tip most likely ceriglass won't help much. You would need special glass cutting/sanding discs like 3M trizact glass sanding discs of various grit sizes. This is a job for a professional and if your car windscreen does not cost a couple thousand dollars don't bother... Get it replaced.

Glass polishing is usually done with cerium oxide which is different than compound/polishes for paint which usually uses aluminium oxide as its abrasive. Cerium oxide also has different grades and quality. CarPro ceriglass has some cerium oxide in it. With a rotary you would need to use felt buffing pads. Not sure anyone selling it here in MY. Can get from eBay though. Please be extreme careful especially if you want to use a rotary on the windscreen. Most windscreen are laminated glass and the heat build up from machine polishing could cause problems to the glass lamination. Compounding/polishing/sanding levels the surface and in this case the glass. If you are unsure of how much glass you are levelling/removing - making it thinner, don't do it. Risky.

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
A better and safer approach would be to try vinegar first which is a light acid to remove those water mark/stains. If it does not work, the safer method would be to use compound/abrasives meant for removing the water mark/stains. I posted an article on removing the watermark safely before on ZTH detailing forum. I've already tried it on a few cars and front windscreen too without any problems.
Can vinegar really work?
My car rear windscreen, left front and rear door windows, left side mirror got water mark stains.
Car wash boys wants RM180 to remove the stains
Discounted to RM100 after bargaining...
BUT...........
If vinegar can clear the stains, i dont mind buying 1 litre...
If its not too troublesome, can you teach me step by step how to apply the vinegar to clear the stains?
Do i need a motorised polisher or can be done by hand? Thanks in advance...:adore:

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Can vinegar really work?
My car rear windscreen, left front and rear door windows, left side mirror got water mark stains.
Car wash boys wants RM180 to remove the stains
Discounted to RM100 after bargaining...
BUT...........
If vinegar can clear the stains, i dont mind buying 1 litre...
If its not too troublesome, can you teach me step by step how to apply the vinegar to clear the stains?
Do i need a motorised polisher or can be done by hand? Thanks in advance...:adore:
FYI, you do not need a motorized polisher (rotary buffer aka RB, etc) to remove the watermarks unless you intend to remove scratches/swirls on glass. Those who use RB for watermarks are over doing it as it can all be done by hand. Besides using an RB can burn the plastic side trims and rubber if you are not careful. Doing it by hand can also ensure the very edge of the windows are covered.

Always try least aggressive method first and always try on a test spot first.
1. Wash windows
2. Use automotive clay bar (Soft99, etc) to clean surface.
3. If still have watermarks, use regular vinegar with a rag/cotton cloth. Rinse surface properly after trying. (P.S: You don't need 1L of vinegar.... go get from somebody's kitchen-la :rofl:)
4. Still can't remove? Safe way is to use abrasives to remove the watermark by hand. I used Osren watermark remover abrasive powder with 3M sanding sponge/pad.

Drop me a PM and maybe we can do a DIY TT to remove the watermarks - for free-la of course

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
FYI, you do not need a motorized polisher (rotary buffer aka RB, etc) to remove the watermarks unless you intend to remove scratches/swirls on glass. Those who use RB for watermarks are over doing it as it can all be done by hand. Besides using an RB can burn the plastic side trims and rubber if you are not careful. Doing it by hand can also ensure the very edge of the windows are covered.

Always try least aggressive method first and always try on a test spot first.
1. Wash windows
2. Use automotive clay bar (Soft99, etc) to clean surface.
3. If still have watermarks, use regular vinegar with a rag/cotton cloth. Rinse surface properly after trying. (P.S: You don't need 1L of vinegar.... go get from somebody's kitchen-la :rofl:)
4. Still can't remove? Safe way is to use abrasives to remove the watermark by hand. I used Osren watermark remover abrasive powder with 3M sanding sponge/pad.

Drop me a PM and maybe we can do a DIY TT to remove the watermarks - for free-la of course
Thanks for your kind step by step instructions....
I will give it a try....
If it still doesnt work, i will ....
YELL FOR HELP !!!::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited:

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Oh yeah, FYI after removing all watermarks (usually by abrasives) the glass surface is in excellent condition for Rain-X or similar glass coating. Some people do complain of Rain-X destroying your wipers... But actually it all depends on how you do it. Here is how I do it:
1. The best prepared surface of a glass is when you see the water sticking/sheeting on the surface
2. Dry surface completely and properly
3. Apply rain-x with a cloth liberally and leave it to stand in the sun for a few hours or overnight. Don't buff off like what most people do! This is to ensure it bonds to the glass properly.
4. Next using your regular car shampoo, wash your car and windows! Washing with car shampoo helps to remove all rain-x excess away and completely.

Works for me so far on both silicon and rubber wiper blades and helps to reduce waterspots. My theory behind my method is when buffing the windscreen after rain-x app with a dry cloth, you are still not able to remove the excess rain-x completely. So using your wipers on the screen after that will give you wiper judder. Hope it helps.

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks! Your detailed info is much appreciated!

But if im not mistaken, using RAIN-X or other chemicals of such nature makes the windscreen more easier to crack, ie more "crispy"
I maybe wrong....
May others comment?

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
But if im not mistaken, using RAIN-X or other chemicals of such nature makes the windscreen more easier to crack, ie more "crispy"
I maybe wrong....
May others comment?
Never heard of it before and I think it is a myth. I used it for quite sometime and so does several people that I know of and never heard of such a thing. Rain-X is mostly polymer and alcohol. Laminated windscreens are easier to chip/crack than tempered ones though.

mcliong1

Known Member
Jun 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
if u wanna DIY just get a tomcat watermarks cleaner. It works well for me. Thats the cheap version but works well. If u want better 1 is cleaner + coating. Google "rainaway".

S16

Known Member
Nov 17, 2010
Melaka
Guys, this is the windscreen culprit... Sorry for the delay guys... :)

Attachments

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bro. eohl, so got TT ah?:driver:

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Thanks! Your detailed info is much appreciated!

I maybe wrong....
May others comment?
Nope, been using Rain X for years. As you know glass can even hold acid, so actually they are very strong against chemicals....

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Guys, this is the windscreen culprit... Sorry for the delay guys... :)
Oh! he kena the FormaHero one. The same will happen with Tomcat one if you are not careful.....
Especially must be careful with front screen as this liquid will dry into white haze into the line of the wiper.
The method is to apply and scrub and rinse before it dries.....

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I guess he figured it out? Nowdays almost no TT already. Meet up with 1 or 2 person got-la. Mostly drop by some buddy's detailing centre and chit chat only.
Bro. hitachi got anything on? Ask him to organize....heh! heh!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear forumers and sifus here,

Just want to ask on this matter. I'm hoping for soem good advice and opinions especially from those who have done cross-drilled/slotted rotor in a machine/engineering shop. This happens to be the trend as it is cheap and looks cool.

1. Does it have any benefit in daily drive/track?
2. Does it have any bad effects such as reliability issues?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience