misfire

mdss

Known Member
Feb 15, 2015
uk
Hi guys thanks for all the replies. The problem still persists!

I have tried the other coils from my evo that did not work.
I have put on another maf and again this has not worked.
I am now going to try and replace the injector pack as I have a spare somewhere.

Its very odd as it only happens as soon as you turn the car on, once you press the accelerator hard it clears and is fine, more odd is that it does not do it everyday, there seems to be no pattern to this odd behaviour.

Can anyone think what else it could be? As I said its fine on full throttle no misfires but on the first few presses of the throttle when cold it misfires then clears.

I am becoming very frustrated with it to be honest as the car is great and was hoping to keep her for at least another 2 years.

Any help is always appreciated.

weiye

Jan 26, 2014
Singapore
If you swapped the MAF, it might need some re-scaling by a tuner. Anyway, I suggest to get a tuner to plug in and start the car when cold. Then get the tuner to log the whole process to see if the fuel is to rich or something. If you haven't tried swapping out the idle control valve, you could try that with a used idle control valve that is working fine - don't think this is the issue but seems like you don't have much options left to try. Good luck!

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I don't really rev the car hard when it's cold. So if this is happening only when cold, I have similar experience with my current Airtrek too... after it's warm, then car is normal.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I don't really rev the car hard when it's cold. So if this is happening only when cold, I have similar experience with my current Airtrek too... after it's warm, then car is normal.
Sounds more like auto choke problem. Running lean when cold will cough and shudder, and when step on accelerator slightly will idle properly.....

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
maybe ... but I was taught not to rev the car hard when it's cold. Learnt it from the days when I first owned a car - 78 Colt Mirage. You know carb cars are like that... and its like nto warming up ourselves before doing some hardcore exercise... will hurt ourself too...

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
maybe ... but I was taught not to rev the car hard when it's cold. Learnt it from the days when I first owned a car - 78 Colt Mirage. You know carb cars are like that... and its like nto warming up ourselves before doing some hardcore exercise... will hurt ourself too...
Not hard revs loh! but step slightly on the accelerator to increase the idling speed.....:driver:

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
you need more time to check at this problem.. cause it wont always a big issue to solved. sometime it was just a loose MAF socket like my friends did last time. take your time to check one by one.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
you need more time to check at this problem.. cause it wont always a big issue to solved. sometime it was just a loose MAF socket like my friends did last time. take your time to check one by one.
Yah! my mechanic did before on one car. Remove all sockets he can find, spray contact cleaner then put back.....:driver:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
It's a good exercise to remove contact sockets, spray with contact cleaner to improve electric signal connectivity.

mdss

Known Member
Feb 15, 2015
uk
I cannot find anything I have tried to spray contact cleaner into the connectors but still no joy. I have not cleaned the throttle body so maybe I will give that a go. The only thing left is to replace the battery, a good friend had a Porsche boxster that would do the exact same thing when cold after being first turned on and then it would clear. It turned out to be the battery.

This is very very frustrating. My tuner has a MUT tester so I am hoping it does it in the next few days so I can drive the car over and hopefully it has logged a fault. Like I said some days its perfect and others it does it straight away.

Thanks for all the help its much appreciated.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi guys thanks for all the replies. The problem still persists!

I have tried the other coils from my evo that did not work.
I have put on another maf and again this has not worked.
I am now going to try and replace the injector pack as I have a spare somewhere.

Its very odd as it only happens as soon as you turn the car on, once you press the accelerator hard it clears and is fine, more odd is that it does not do it everyday, there seems to be no pattern to this odd behaviour.

Can anyone think what else it could be? As I said its fine on full throttle no misfires but on the first few presses of the throttle when cold it misfires then clears.

I am becoming very frustrated with it to be honest as the car is great and was hoping to keep her for at least another 2 years.

Any help is always appreciated.
I know nothing about Airtreks. However I've had this problem with my wira before. Turned out to be my spark plug cables. Does the Airtrek use cables? Or COP? if COP perhaps you have one that's breaking down soon?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I cannot find anything I have tried to spray contact cleaner into the connectors but still no joy. I have not cleaned the throttle body so maybe I will give that a go. The only thing left is to replace the battery, a good friend had a Porsche boxster that would do the exact same thing when cold after being first turned on and then it would clear. It turned out to be the battery.

This is very very frustrating. My tuner has a MUT tester so I am hoping it does it in the next few days so I can drive the car over and hopefully it has logged a fault. Like I said some days its perfect and others it does it straight away.

Thanks for all the help its much appreciated.
Not sure if diagnostic will show anything if there is no check light coming on.
Yah! the battery thing you mentioned can be also. My VR got one time idle poorly, however car can still start but can hear having weaker crank, so did not think of changing the battery. However later I decided to change the battery in case it died on me, and like you mentioned the poor idling disappeared....:driver:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I know nothing about Airtreks. However I've had this problem with my wira before. Turned out to be my spark plug cables. Does the Airtrek use cables? Or COP? if COP perhaps you have one that's breaking down soon?
Atr has 2 COP and 2 cables... so the coils are shared.

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
better find someone with the same car and runs well.. so you can swap test the parts one by one till you found which one is the error. we'll do exactly like that here..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

'(00): Find yourself touching a sticky knob? It almost feel like the rubber's melting, but wait. Meet KC. Watch as he de-rubberize the knob, documents his detailing chronicles renewing a 997 CS and hundreds of step-by-step pictures and generous tips and tricks on car detailing.

Remember how this horse was prepare for his knight...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience