misfire

mdss

Known Member
Feb 15, 2015
uk
Hi guys looking for some of your expert help

Today when i turned the car on it seemed fine and then after 100 meters it started to misfire and stutter and would not rev properly.
I floored the throttle and it kicked down a few gears and misfired once and then it was fine. Almost like the plugs were fouled or faulty.

It had been doing something similar for the last two weeks immediately after turning on, on the first press of the throttle but after a second it cleared but today it was more prolonged before clearing.

Has anyone experienced this and are my suspicions correct that it may need a set of plugs?

Any help is much appreciated

weiye

Jan 26, 2014
Singapore
Hi, could be plugs misfiring but I would suggest you take them out to check before you swap them completely. Could also be that your engine bay is somehow flooding with fuel or methanol (if you use it). Does not sound like a boost or vacuum leak to me.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If using normal plugs they are not too expensive, so i suggest you change them and see if you still encounter the same problem. If not, solved. If yes, then move on and check some thing else

mdss

Known Member
Feb 15, 2015
uk
Hi changed the plugs today and although it runs smoother now the car once again from cold was stuttering/misfiring until it was driven for around 5-6 mins then it was fine again.

Very frustrating any ideas guys?

Oh yes and checked they were gapped correctly before installing them, feels like a fueling type problem/electrical thing but hell what do i know!

weiye

Jan 26, 2014
Singapore
Since plugs have been gapped and changed. I would try to check if fuel was flooding your engine. Your car would seem like its going to stall if there was flooding of fuel in your engine and it would be fine after all the excess fuel has burnt up. You might even face difficulties starting your car due to flooding of engine. I would suggest you park your car at the garage for 5-6 hrs. Before you start the engine, take out the spark plugs and check for fuel flooding in the engine. The mechanics should know how to check that. If there was flooding, you would have to check if your fuel regulator or pump is leaking fuel.

Unlikely to be electrical issue. Not sure if it would be vacuum/boost leak but quite unlikely if the drive becomes fine after 5-6 mins.

mdss

Known Member
Feb 15, 2015
uk
Thanks for the reply i appreciate the help.

Its not flooding as it starts fine and the mechanic checkked the plugs to see if they were showing signs of flooding. I have just pulled the coil packs off my evo and intend to swap them over in the morning when the car is totally cold. I will then see if i get the same problem.
If that does not fix it i took the crank sensor off also and will then swap that also.

If both these swaps dont work, i will take the car back to the workshop and he will have to do some fault finding.
I know its something simple but very irritating because after a few mins the car is perfect.

Thanks again for all the help, i will report back once i find the fault

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup, try to eliminate one by one, then at least will know what went wrong......

weiye

Jan 26, 2014
Singapore
yeah. no prob. keep trying. last resort, get a tuner to plug into the obd II and try to read what's happening. Have you tried boosting the car and notice any boost drop? I don't think its boost/vacuum leak but nonetheless I think worth a shot. Or, it could just be the idle control valve. But usually when its the idle control valve, the car would stall even after warming up.

arvinm

Known Member
Mar 19, 2004
I feel it sounds like an air flow problem.

If shuddering alone, could be due to a clogged/faulty air flow sensor. Might be worth a try to clean with high pressure air it to see if this solves the problem. i
At the same time, it's worth to give your throttle control valve a cleaning too.

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
I feel it sounds like an air flow problem.

If shuddering alone, could be due to a clogged/faulty air flow sensor. Might be worth a try to clean with high pressure air it to see if this solves the problem. i
At the same time, it's worth to give your throttle control valve a cleaning too.
Aahh yes, that too can cause misfiring. If cleaning can't solve it, change it to another MAF sensor

weiye

Jan 26, 2014
Singapore
yeah I don't think its maf. if maf sensor, problem likely to happen not just when cold. Also quite dangerous to try to clean maf sensor as it is very sensitive. If we are not careful, we may end up really breaking the maf sensor. hmmm

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yeah I don't think its maf. if maf sensor, problem likely to happen not just when cold. Also quite dangerous to try to clean maf sensor as it is very sensitive. If we are not careful, we may end up really breaking the maf sensor. hmmm
But many members seems to clean on their own DIY, even my mechanic warn me to be gentle if need to clean, but better not to touch......lol:biggrin:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Sounds like airflow going to die... Airtrek is old and airflow meter needs replacement every 5-7 years. DO NOT CLEAN IT. Some member did and made it worse. It could also be the ignition coil about to die too....