Matching sports spring with stock absorbers ...appreciate feedback

SlipStream

Aug 25, 2006
IMHO, i think it would be more cost effective to have good adjustables that have service centres available locally so that you can have it repaired when damaged. I have been replacing my absorbers every 1.5 - 2 years.. especially the front ones, no thanks to the potholes filled road in Penang. So, it makes sense to go for serviceable abs instead of burning RM300+ on a new set each time. From my enquiries thus far, HWL and TITAN have a good compromise between comfort and stiffness and are serviceable locally. On the downside, the cost is a major deterrent factor. Then again, one have to treat it as a long term investment. Savings will only kick in later on. Besides, brands like TITAN fetch decent secondhand values.

Any HWL users here who can testify on the damping rate and stiffness?

Was told TIEN adjustables are stiff..very good for hard cornering, no question about that but it might not go down well to those who do not want to tradeoff too much in comfort.

For now, I think the best bet is the Eibach spring + stock absorbers combo since my budget is pretty limited. Eibach has pretty decent secondhand value; at least can salvage something should i decide to upgrade to adjustables in the future.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:

JGE_4G15

Known Member
Aug 26, 2006
er...so Eibach spring+absorbers combo cost abt the same as Tien ones?

davidv00

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2006
Selangor
eibach spring is approx rm800, if u use back ur car stock absorber then that is the material cost.

unless you get Tein spring which is selling RM550 at N1 racing.

broken sword

Feb 17, 2006
SlipStream said:
The sounds goes like "tok tok" ...i think it can be more accurately categorized as knocking than pinging. I get those from the front right suspension. Some of those "eiik eiik" kinda sounds as well...from the back suspension. These sounds could not be reproduced by bouncing the car up and down... been doing that the whole afternoon at the workshop. The mechanics are at a loss too. The absorbers are quite new..confirmed not damaged, so are the arms and suspension mounting. Headache.. headache :cry_smile:
have u solve this problem?

ryanpoon

Jun 22, 2014
Hi guys and sifus,i just install a set of lowered springs paired with the OEM absorbers.Everytime i drive thru bumps or rough roads,there's "hissing" sound from the front part of the car.The sound is quite annoying:banghead:. I read about all the comment here and izzit changing to lowered absorbers@short stroke absorbers will solve the probs? BTW,i'm driving Saga FLX.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Hi guys and sifus,i just install a set of lowered springs paired with the OEM absorbers.Everytime i drive thru bumps or rough roads,there's "hissing" sound from the front part of the car.The sound is quite annoying:banghead:. I read about all the comment here and izzit changing to lowered absorbers@short stroke absorbers will solve the probs? BTW,i'm driving Saga FLX.
its normal, even bmw's has that hissing sound when going over bumps
Sounds cool to me. Kepish..:rofl:

I have that sound. Using SACHS abs and stock kelisa springs. Guess will get a short stroke abs before fitting the sports springs after reading this thread.

ryanpoon

Jun 22, 2014
I guess I shud change to lowered absorber @short stroke absorber to get this solve..for me the sound kinda irritating :bawling:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I guess I shud change to lowered absorber @short stroke absorber to get this solve..for me the sound kinda irritating :bawling:
From what I heard, sports springs and stock long stroke absorbers don't go together. You can opt to change it now if have budget if not use until kong only change while planning on the budget for more suitable absorbers. Reason is, your stock absorbers are gonna kong soon because of the sports springs since is not short stroke.

What kind of sports springs u using?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
also your undercarriage bushings will worn out faster.
So still best to either get a short stroke Absorbers like KYB RS or adjustables right?

ryanpoon

Jun 22, 2014
currently using Improve Lowered Springs.any comment on that brand??this is the 1st time i lowered my car.. the past car i use oem springs

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
currently using Improve Lowered Springs.any comment on that brand??this is the 1st time i lowered my car.. the past car i use oem springs
I also gonna try 1st time. But will have to change absorbers to short or adjustable a 1st. No comment on improve. Wait for other sifu

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
From what I heard, sports springs and stock long stroke absorbers don't go together. You can opt to change it now if have budget if not use until kong only change while planning on the budget for more suitable absorbers. Reason is, your stock absorbers are gonna kong soon because of the sports springs since is not short stroke.

What kind of sports springs u using?
Not entirely true. It depends on the spring rate of the springs. If the spring rate is not too high/hard then the std shock can still cope with it. It might reduce the lifetime a bit but can still last for a long time. I've been using lowered springs with std shocks all the time and no issues.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Not entirely true. It depends on the spring rate of the springs. If the spring rate is not too high/hard then the std shock can still cope with it. It might reduce the lifetime a bit but can still last for a long time. I've been using lowered springs with std shocks all the time and no issues.
K then. Shall try, since im gonna have to change shocks anyway if doesnt go together.
Trying to use APM sports springs + SACHS abs

ryanpoon

Jun 22, 2014
i guess the spring rate for Saga FLX is too high..most of my frens change to lowered springs using standard shocks all say no prob at all. But for mine is different. I'll change to sport shock end of this month.. Salary day :biggrin:
btw guys,any recommendation on shock brands??