Know your rights on the road when held up by the police

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
<iframe width="335" height="250" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iExMSubmOiw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's an informative video sketch provided by Suaram highlighting your rights when you are held up by the police. The video is in Bahasa Melayu, which I believe most Malaysians would have no problems trying to understand it. Watch this fun and informative video, so you know what you can do in the future when you are held up in a road block.

Source : https://www.facebook.com/riyanaz (Tunku Azroy)

Attachments

mustang125

Known Member
Aug 3, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
thats a great video for everyone to watch n learn from mistakes,such a wonderful clips as a citizen towards police forces who take advantage for their own benefits on normal ppl like us.if possible if u got camera phone or other gadgets dat can picture da scenario wud b great for prove.so,know ur rights b4 they make u look stupid thank you kevin lee.

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
yyc, i think ur just being a nice person if ur telling where u are heading. i think u can tell them about all the damn laws saying u can keep quiet, but i would say, u rather just tell la

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Knowing your rights is good up to a certain extent, that is if you have no wrong doings. If you've made a mistake and willing to own up to it, just pay the summons or listen to the given warning/advise. Would avoid winding windows all the way down in case you are dealing with a phony officer.

Sometimes it is good to be living in Malaysia as some officers are very compassionate... If you are really in trouble knowing that you made a mistake and not willing to/can't pay the hefty summons then you would need to find ways to get out of trouble. :idea: That Youtube video then fails big time :thefinger: At times need to forgo some of your rights to get out of trouble. Need to be good buddies with officer... addressing him as "Tuan", "Dato", play along to his questions (relevant and irrelevant questions...), extra things that you slip under the book... :dontknow:, etc. There is always a chance to escape BTW.

Once I was carrying my mountain bike on the rear hatch bike rack of my car. Got stopped at a police road block exiting Nilai toll booth. I knew I won't get away since the carrier and bike on my car is actually not allowed or have any endorsement by JPJ. Luckily I was driving my beat up stock K-car. Just wind down window... talk some c*ck stories with officer, told him that the bike costs only 500 bucks which in reality costs more than 10x more, no money to upkeep car, got kid to support, yadayada. Lots of irrelevant questions asked and answered. There are no rights to exercise here... was trying to get away which i eventually did but with a warning/advise. Things might be a little different if you've got a heavily modded car (turbo, exhaust, body kit, etc).

If you get thrown into 24hrs detention... do you think you dare to say to the officer to speak to your lawyer?!? Don't know... too many cases of people dying under custody :confused:

Last edited:

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
i was being body-searched once during a roadblock at night because the van I drove was packed with mei-mei.... Anyway I did not do anything wrong.

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
Is they slap me with "suspect" and lock me up for 48 hour,hell...i ain't going thru that shit no more....been there once for less than 48 hours but damn it feels forever

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
most policemen ask stupid question just to know what's ur purpose being there..

they want to check suspicious activity in their area..

once, i've been stopped just because my boss is asleep in the front passenger seat.. they thought i kidnap my boss.. hahahaha :rofl::rofl::rofl:

but again, they just doing their job keeping our country save..

and do u guyz know that malaysian police is the best in d world :biggrin:

a big thanx to those policemen..

:burnout:

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
most policemen ask stupid question just to know what's ur purpose being there..

they want to check suspicious activity in their area..

once, i've been stopped just because my boss is asleep in the front passenger seat.. they thought i kidnap my boss.. hahahaha :rofl::rofl::rofl:

but again, they just doing their job keeping our country save..

and do u guyz know that malaysian police is the best in d world :biggrin:

a big thanx to those policemen..

:burnout:
I do agree that. In many aspects. :biggrin:

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
You mean you breaking the law and endangering other people and you want to BS your way out of it?
Yes broke the law, my fault. Never do it anymore after that. Got advised from officer. Now keep bike in car. Just that need to go through the whole round of questions from officer... Answer the relevant ones truthfully and the irrelevant ones with some stories if necessary. If I were to just keep quiet and not answer the Irrelevant questions, I think I get into more trouble. At least I get a warning only. Not answer only if sense there is something not right.

P.S: According to officer all the roof rack/box, tow ball rack and rear hatch/bonnet rack needs approval and also insurance cover. Any ideas? I know JPJ has some ruling that all extensions of the vehicle must not exceed a certain limit.

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

if u got camera phone or other gadgets dat can picture da scenario
Can get into more trouble if officer knows that you are recording the conversation. Some countries/states have law that forbid you from recording an officer in duty. Don't know here but don't want to get into trouble.

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
video is just an indication what you can do.
i do not condone breaking the law and if you really sincerely made a mistake, see if the cop can let you off with a warning and dont do it again. cops in certain countries practice that too

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
hahaha..funny but it really always happen when block by police...always ask same question where u from and where u go now?check ic and license...checking.if got any wrong,they will u get out from car,off engine,open bonnet engine and rear boot...checking.no problem,let u go...if problem...caught u,force u get their car to balai...in ur blur2 feeling ,without know any wrong...happen to one of my friend who get caught in drunk in kl city wee hour...after 12 hour in lock room...release,reason check all detail already u r clear...but my friend been lock room for nothing reason...fair or not...?

amirmambo

Known Member
Jun 24, 2010
Subang Jaya
Awesome vid with a hint of humor..Nicely done and thank you very much for the post since it will help alot of people when they are stopped by cops..Most of us Msians dont really knw our rights and this is very helpful and educational :biggrin: