All you need to know about the Mugen CR-Z

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

The gist of it has been known for quite some time now but Honda have now come clean with some juicy details and interesting information regarding the Mugen CR-Z that promises to spice up the hybrid hatch.

The basic approach to the one-off project was to demonstrate that hybrids aren’t mundane means as a solution from getting from A to B, the can be heaps of fun to drive too. Honda wanted the Mugen CR-Z to produce Civic Type-R performance but still maintain its eco-friendly character, just like the standard CR-Z.

A total of three different driving modes allows the cars characteristics to be switched by the driver. Eco mode puts the car into a stage of efficiency while Normal mode gives it a bit more go for everyday driving conditions. The final mode, the Mugen mode, unleashes the weekend warrior settings that will help the car live up to its predecessor, the legendary CR-X.

Motivation still comes from the standard 1.5-liter mill that is mated to an IMA electric motor. However, the internals of the engine have been rebuilt with upgraded and strengthened components. That is necessary to handle the added stress from the Mugen iCF system, or Integrated Centrifugal Forced-Induction, more commonly known to laymen like us as a supercharger.

Working together with the petrol engine and electric motor, the entire setup manages to coax a 50 per cent increase in power and torque over the regular model. Power stands at 197hp while peak torque has been recorded at 215Nm.

In a state of ‘mid-tune,’ as the Mugen engineers put it, the Mugen CR-Z comes very close to the century sprint time of the Civic Type-R, which is 6.6-seconds. With a further Stage 1 tune on the powertrain and a further 50kg reduction in weight, the engineers are expecting it to be quicker than the Civic Type-R.

Despite all the tuning, the Mugen CR-Z still manages to return less than 8 liter for every 100km in Mugen mode. Switch it to Eco mode and the fuel consumption improves further to less than 5.6 liters for every 100km.

Being a proper tuner, Mugen didn’t just focus on power and leave everything else to chance. The rest of the package must be able to handle the additional power. The front and rear tracks were widened while the suspension system was replaced with a stiffer five-step adjustable damper.

Traction will be reigned in with a limited slip differential while stopping will be handled by larger rotors and four-pot calipers.

Exterior wise, a front and rear under spoiler are fitted along with side skirts, a rear wing, carbon fiber bonnet and doors as well as forged Mugen GP lightweight wheels.

Step into the driver’s office and you’ll be greeted by a pair of Recaro sports seats, a carbon rear view mirror and three gauges that monitor water temperature, oil temperature and oil pressure.

Source: CarScoop

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Well done Mugen! Honda should bring this to M'sia and keep the price low (in my dreams)..

kUmUcHaI 11/1

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
JB - KL
keep in mind that........ it is a environmental friendly car with IMA electric motor
that means that malaysia government......will extend tax incentives to CRZ also!!!!!!!
haha
mugen....i love mugen......
Imagine the hybrid civic price dropped so so so much after tax reduced.....
ARE WE GOING TO GET CRZ FOR RM128000 for a new CRZ????!!!!!
haha......rev happily everyone........... :dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing:
:party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party:

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
Yeah, we want CRZ .. Not incentives and duties exemptions for Insight or Prius..

Harrybobo

500 RPM
Jun 15, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for the article. What I do know is that the standard CR-Z that will be coming to Malaysia will be priced at RM118,000. 2 specs. An auto and manual trans. Other than that, still in the dark. Hehe.

=)

crazyvtec

Jun 24, 2010
Johor
Heard tat cr-z will be launch end of tis year. But due to japan earthquake i think honda m'sia will delay the launching. RM118,000 is very attractive and hope it was the official price before goverment impose the full tax onto it.

e3_1990

Known Member
Aug 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
no wonder why my dad looking for an upgrade from fuel guzzling wira to Insight :biggrin:
cr-z faster faster come malaysia lah, you know we love you right? :dancing2:

LOPI

Known Member
Feb 28, 2006
melacca
Ohh CR-Z mugen.love to hear that CR-Z also have mugen spec:biggrin:
if the price reasonable and Honda Malaysia bring it hear all Malaysian wanna that car..:driver::driver:

skazareth

Known Member
Feb 8, 2007
This particular Mugen CR-Z is from Mugen Euro right?

BoxCarRacer

500 RPM
May 7, 2008
Johor Bahru
I think someone did post about the CR-Z getting turbocharged...
and now supercharger? fuhhh...going to ditch my plan to buy a Prius & opt for this car instead :biggrin:

syaq0707

Known Member
Sep 8, 2006
haiii,still have to supercharged summore..if use the power of vtec only and can achieved the same power like the supercharged one also cun what? more respect la, if can la..no more prangg la like this..maybe legacy of prraanngg stalled at CRX only?? hurmmmm :confused:...and not to be continued by CRZ?? sad...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all..

I've got problem with my car a/c. suddenly feel did not cold. And in this video this is what my compressor behavior. Is it normal? When I open throttle a bit, the compressor cut off.

air con compressor cut off - YouTube
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience