Is it possible to get approval for turbo kits from puspakom/JPJ?

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Would like to know... many thanks. :)

edit: Of course with sufficient braking power and a silent exhaust system...

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
I also wondering the same question. Wah.. Zeroed, I see u also power hungry too.. hahahhaa

How much does a bolt-on turbo kit cost for our babies?

white_bird

500 RPM
Jul 9, 2005
puchong
what u wanna get approve?? let's say u using 4g93 n ask the officer to add a "T" for u??? as wad i know following JPJ rules anything diff from the stock is illegal (engine parts)

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Initial D: Eheheh everyone is power hungry... a reliable low cost, low boost kit (0.7) would cost about 3k+ in my estimations. For higher boost you'd need to change internals, fuel pump and etc which would probably cost close to 5k... those are my estimations la, with the kit made up until cantik cantik. For risk takers it can be as low as RM1.5-2k.

white bird: I once read that modifications, if inspected by puspakom and approved can be legal... but Im not sure if its true or if I remembered wrongly or not, so here am I asking lor. Your car will have to go through several tests to determine road-worthiness.

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
Zeroed, wah.. 3K++ can get ar? So good ar? Like that I also want to consider too.

Initially wanted to get Supercharger but the price kinda steep and the power gain not up to my expectation.

I always wonder which one has a lower running maintenance cost? Supercharger or Turbocharger?

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Definately supercharger for low maintenance costs... heheh.
The turbo kit I planned out is by sourcing out parts from all over the place, if the turbo turns out to be fauly it can mean some problems. But with careful checking and some servicing, should be ok. ;)

Im really keen of the supercharger kit by Gerard, but the price vs performance ratio is kind of high compared to a bolt on turbo... but what you get is guaranteed reliability and easy installation lor, so I guess its fair. Installing the turbo kit will take me to 3 different workshops and theres no guarantee that nothing may turn out wrong... :D.

But my main concern is JPJ. I wonder how lah, now having some second thoughts.

edit: And the supercharger kit is much more suitable for daily driving and fuel saving. I'd take the supercharger if I didnt prefer turbo characteristics if I had to spend the same amount of money.

Last edited:

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
I like that Supercharger kit bcs first of all, it doesn't require an Inter-cooler..which is great for going undetected at JPJ Roadblocks.

I read that u can also use a switch to switch off the supercharger when u are cruising..to save fuel. That's what I want too.

But.. like u said.. the power to price ratio is not the best.

I also have same concerns as u on getting it legalised so that no problems at road blocks.

Mandrake

Known Member
Jun 19, 2005
JB
www.benjaminwang.com
Turbo kit isn't really considered a "major" engine mod since in the JPJs eyes the engine number is still the same. You only really need to get approval if you transplant the whole engine, where there is a change in number.

4agze

2,000 RPM
Jan 25, 2004
KL
Visit site
if i wanna put turbo kit, of course first thing is hide the intercooler, dont make it so obvious lah... then dont put those SSQV bov loh... also no people will know that your car is bolt on turbo when cucuk or being cucuk... hehehe :D

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
>Turbo kit isn't really considered a "major" engine mod since in the JPJs eyes the engine number is still the same. You only really need to get approval if you transplant the whole engine, where there is a change in number.

But then its still illegal right... they still can issue a summon to refit original parts and go for inspection in puspakom, or buat kacau kacau with you right? For registered transplants I dont think they will have much to say already?

>if i wanna put turbo kit, of course first thing is hide the intercooler, dont make it so obvious lah... then dont put those SSQV bov loh... also no people will know that your car is bolt on turbo when cucuk or being cucuk... hehehe

Yeah Im planning to spray and hide the intercooler and all that, maybe even do some decoy piping to make it seem as if I am running NA at the intake. :D But I'd really love a BOV... GReddy ones rock. Sigh.

>so i have nothing to worry la if i turboed my vtec? if that is the case then ok la..

Hondas got less change of kena-ing this kind of stuff right? Heheh.

So I guess its impossible to make it legal?

Mandrake

Known Member
Jun 19, 2005
JB
www.benjaminwang.com
But then its still illegal right... they still can issue a summon to refit original parts and go for inspection in puspakom, or buat kacau kacau with you right? For registered transplants I dont think they will have much to say already?
Legal or not I dunno since JPJ changes laws every day of the week. Some people who pay kpoi here to pass their 1.3 to 2.0 transplants kenna pay kopi again when go for re-inspection. It all depends on yor luck, dosen't mean you register safely on Monday that your car will pass on Tuesday. If the officer is in a bad mood, they can find fault no matter what, even with a stock car from the showroom.

If you really love your car then mod it to yours hearts content :rock: We live in Malaysia, this "flexibility" is one of the good points and advantages.

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Will consider getting a block transplant, but that would significantly increase the cost I guess...

Oh well. Maybe youre right lah, mod first; think later ala James Bond shooting. :D

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
My friend who asked a mechanic said that it is possible to register modifications with JPJ/Puspakom... have to pay a small fee la.

Anyone has any affirmations on this?

Mandrake

Known Member
Jun 19, 2005
JB
www.benjaminwang.com
Zeroed said:
My friend who asked a mechanic said that it is possible to register modifications with JPJ/Puspakom... have to pay a small fee la.

Anyone has any affirmations on this?
They can kacau you if you have a brand new stock car too ;)

blur_civic

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2004
KL/PJ
Just thought i'd share.. :)

My car was stopped at a JPJ road block.. stopped at the side due to the loud exhaust.. asked to pop the hood.. afterpopping the hood they asked about the carbon fibre hood.. then checked the engine number... then "Pergi Pergi Pergi"... :) with a bolt on turbo.. :p

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Haha they must have really liked you... or with such heavy mods sure they kacau right.

I guess its true that as long as you touch your car a little bit (air filter, extractor, tissue box in the car...) they will kacau you if bad timing la. Hopefully I wont get caught, and if I do, by nice JPJ people la. :D

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I get quotation from a mechanic here is shah alam to replace all my absorbers to monroe. He quoted front rm220/each and rear rm180/each. So total rm800 plus labour maybe rm900+. Just to ask sifus here, is monroe absorber ok for my car model if im looking for comfort, and is the price also ok?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience