Hydraulic Lifter Noise/Tappet Noise on 4G63T

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Where can you get 10w-50 mineral oil?
I dunno too. I'll ask Ah Wah and see how.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

I think the sound is quite common. So long no engine knock registered then should be OK. I changed and bleed before noise just become quieter but can still hear. Unless you try those GSC zero tick lifters which I have not try before but I heard those really is zero tick - no sound.
Where can I find those lifters?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I dunno too. I'll ask Ah Wah and see how.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

Where can I find those lifters?
I think Mineral usually will be 20w-50, 15w-40. 10w-50 usually will be FS....:driver:

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
if its too loud, gotta get that fixed bro..

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Mine too if I pop open the bonet, then I can hear the ticking sound, normally during cold starts but once warmed up, a lot quieter. i am using 5w-40 fully synthethic engine oil
u live in klang bro? u drive airtrek or evo?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
that's what I plan to do soon... I hope popping in the new lifters will solve the problem once and for all.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Don't think it will help much. My BIL used to have Kia Optima with Evo 4 standard. FWD. It was using 18" rims with 225 tires. I had tried driving it gently but even on 2nd gear, a harder tap on the pedal generates wheel spin. It's just too much power for 2 wheel to take (estimating 120whp per wheel). Kia Optima's chassis is much heavier too.

I did a drag race with him 3 times and I won all the races. My car is automatic and back then, my Airtrek was completely standard apart from full exhaust and raised boost (0.6 to 1.2 bar). Otherwise everything was completely stock. Reason for whinning is he can't put all the power to the ground. He even started off softly with gear 1 and only WOT on gear 2, still loosing too much traction.

Anyway, just sharing how I feel about 2WD. That's another reason why I am hesitant to go 2WD on my Airtrek despite many saying that it's more powerful, lighter and also saving more fuel.

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
nice bro.. u got point there stutz.. but how those guys from USA drive a monster 500hp civic eg or ek.. there must be a solution to hi hp FWD car..
maybe drag radial.. shave some weight?

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
Don't think it will help much. My BIL used to have Kia Optima with Evo 4 standard. FWD. It was using 18" rims with 225 tires. I had tried driving it gently but even on 2nd gear, a harder tap on the pedal generates wheel spin. It's just too much power for 2 wheel to take (estimating 120whp per wheel). Kia Optima's chassis is much heavier too.

I did a drag race with him 3 times and I won all the races. My car is automatic and back then, my Airtrek was completely standard apart from full exhaust and raised boost (0.6 to 1.2 bar). Otherwise everything was completely stock. Reason for whinning is he can't put all the power to the ground. He even started off softly with gear 1 and only WOT on gear 2, still loosing too much traction.

Anyway, just sharing how I feel about 2WD. That's another reason why I am hesitant to go 2WD on my Airtrek despite many saying that it's more powerful, lighter and also saving more fuel.
Your BIL's Optima has LSD installed?
I am planning to install LSD in the future too.....open differential is just crazy

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
@4gbanger - well you are right too. It's not cheap solution to be able to lay down all the power produced by the engine to the road surface. So they have spent a lot to do so... I agree with you it's doable but not cheap.

@shinjite - I think it's stock. Nothing is changed except for welded to deactivate the AWD. Yes, a proper LSD will certainly help.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

2WD gets wild power mah....lol:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Running on NS2Rs but 15" only lol
Really too much power for 15"...:driver:

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
2WD gets wild power mah....lol:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Really too much power for 15"...:driver:
Will see how it goes in the future, 15" tyres a lot cheaper so financial is taken into consideration as well. It is my daily driven car, no spare car for me at all :biggrin:

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
On 195/55R15 or 205/50R15, but we are in hydraulic lifter thread.....lol
Yeah so back to hydraulic lifters, I will need to ask my mechanic see whether what can be done prior to changing to a new set just in case haha

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yeah so back to hydraulic lifters, I will need to ask my mechanic see whether what can be done prior to changing to a new set just in case haha
You can try 10w-40 diesel engine oil and see. Of course the ones with dual rating C and S. C for diesel and S for petrol. Don't use the one with C rating only because that is specific for diesel engine only.
I tried before and it was quiet.....lol:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Following on our 'Orange' post...

We are often asked if we detail more 'normal' cars....

Presenting Yellow.

Perfected and protected with OptiCoat PRO and OptiGlass.

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience