How to paint valve cover???

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Anybody got experience in DIY painting valve cover.

Because my car is going in workshop tomorrow. Most probably they gonna dig the engine out. So I was thinking I drop by the shop some day and spray my valve cover. I do not plan on removing the valve cover because I just replaced the valve cover seal recently. Don't want to break it. SO I actually planned to cover the surrounding with newspaper and spray it.

But... Any advice on the type of spray paint that can withstand heat?

And what is paint primer? I came across this on the web but do not know what is it.

And the valve cover is already sprayed gold by the previous owner. Is is okay to spray it without removing the old paint?

Thank you... :burnout:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
better remove valve cover...the seal wouldn't break because it was from rubber (unlike most other area using paper-like gasket type)...so u can remove and re-install using same rubber gasket (and using silicon gasket sealant for added security to avoid oil leak) :adore:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
how bout powder coat ??
it looks nice as well and heat resistant and wont fade and such like paint
Haha... Sorry ah my knowledge on paints not v good. I've heard of powder coat before also. But what is it ah?

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

better remove valve cover...the seal wouldn't break because it was from rubber (unlike most other area using paper-like gasket type)...so u can remove and re-install using same rubber gasket (and using silicon gasket sealant for added security to avoid oil leak) :adore:
Oh... When I replace my valve cover seal, the fella already go and use silicone sealant on it. So Not so good to remove... haha....

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

how bout powder coat ??
it looks nice as well and heat resistant and wont fade and such like paint
Oh wow! I just read about what powder coating is... Haha... Not sure if in kk, got people can do. But I guess no need for such high quality job first. Probably use this for another 2-3 years only...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Oh... When I replace my valve cover seal, the fella already go and use silicone sealant on it. So Not so good to remove... haha...

Oh wow! I just read about what powder coating is... Haha... Not sure if in kk, got people can do. But I guess no need for such high quality job first. Probably use this for another 2-3 years only...

then why worries?? just remove the valve cover....and re-apply the sealant back when installing.....(but u got a bit extra work to clean previous sealant residue before installing :nurse:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
no need powder coat wan, just use tin spray, 1 tin of base coat & another color & last laquer.
Thank you thank you :adore:... I'll try it... :biggrin:

calvin9683

Jul 5, 2004
JB
I DIY spray my valve cover when my mech is doin overhaul...
Only using sand paper to clean off the whole surface then wash it...
After lettin it dry... Directly spray "matt black" onto it... No primer n no lacquer... Just normal tin spray.... Ppl tell me it wont last... But i just dun care n go ahead wif it... It lasted till now (more than a year)....

I'd suggest u to take out the valve cover la... Easier for u to carry around.... N ur rubber seal wont gav much prob one... Just make sure ur mech clears up the previous silicon before applyin new silicon prior to installing at back....

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Guys... I did it today... Lazy man's job... Just did it because was bored whole afternoon... First, I cleaned the engine bay. Spray with strong detergent because my engine bay got oil come out every now and then. Since the day when I forgot to screw on my oil cap and drive and the oil all splash out, even after I washed the engine bay, the oil that got into the holes/perforation of the bonnet releases slowly. After the detergent, I was impatient so I sprayed the whole engine bay without covering the electrics and electronics. Looking at them makes me sick. So many :banghead:. After spraying quite strongly... I realise oh sh*t! Now I panicked like hell... Quickly got a cloth and soaked up all the sensors, wires and terminals... Then let it rest... After that can start... OMG...

After that, I just used newpaper to wrap and cover parts that I don't want to get paint on. Then just sprayed. No sanding, no primer... Turned out well :biggrin:. So delighted... The surface isn't as smooth though. And I did't use heat resistant paint. After some driving it seemed okay... Not sure how long it'll last. If okay, I do a bit more cosmetics, replace rubber with blue/orange silicone hoses, and replace some missing stickers then only post pics :biggrin:.

It's a lazy man's job...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My S4 engine is already "KOYAK". Every month have problem. Can anyone give me some advice to overhaul my s4 eng or to be change half cut 1. Which is better??? to change s4 engine how much??? The eterna turbo engine are really expencive meh?? what price haa... plz sombody help me...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience