How Not to damage your drive shaft

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
:itsme: Dear SiFus and forummers,

I just suffered a damaged drive shaft boots. So, i mean the drive shaft boots.
The cost of repair is high.
I like to learn how to prevent the same problem after spending this kind of money.
I sincerely like to learn from you what not to do to avoid damaging the drive shaft. Mine is Vios 2006 auto.

Would really appreciate your advice.

Sincerely
Richard Tan
:driver:

Last edited:

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
Buy better quality driveshaft boot...it is the material that cause it to tear after a period of time..

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
My front both side drive shaft also damage adi...I'm driving the Altis 2005 Model Auto as well.

If not mistaken is what I was told that not to turn too much as in when u turn ur car out of the parking, try to turn slowly and try not to turn the whole wheel to the max if possible but if not just do it slowly. Still after a period of time, tear and wear for cars is common.

I bet many of us have tried turning our steering so fast and hard that it reaches the limit and we can hear a "tuck" sound or something like that...

Well, will ask my pals and get back to u..he is a professional Mechanic.

har1th7

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
i think by time fly.. all wear & tear parts must be change... that include our mounting, all the rubber stuff at our suspension (bushes)....

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
Hi Supra Fanatics, :itsme:

I'll admit that i like to turn the wheel full lock regularly ( i do hear small clicking sound when i do that, is this the symptom?) when parking and moving out of parking lot as well as when u turning, where i try to u turn such that my car does not go to the 3rd lane from the left or as near to the u-turn curb as possible.

I guess my driving style must change. But then, less fun for me liao. :frown: Maybe i need to get used to it.

Hi har1th7, :itsme:
I was told also that my front suspensions need to change also and that is why i was given a quotation that was shockingly high price. I delayed the change and said i need to consider as the car still could be driven . Actually, i never felt anything wrong. Not yet, that is. Also, prolly its because i am not an expert.

How to tell if the suspensions need a change? Is it the tyre rubber wear pattern can indicate the problem?

I think for now, i try to get the shaft boots replaced. But is it dangerous to use non-Toyota original parts? Are there better boots to recommend? Can i have a name to this?

Thank you guys for reading.

Sincerely
Richard Tan

TRD.AE92

500 RPM
Apr 10, 2009
Buy better quality driveshaft boot...it is the material that cause it to tear after a period of time..
Yes... you are right.. And perhaps spend more time on everyday to check the driveshaft boot condition too.

corona_ice

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2006
sunway city
at the end of the day, when the drive shaft boot tears it will sooner or later coz ur drive shaft to fail... the boots' main work is to protect the bearing and the stuffs in the drive shaft... when the rubber tears, it lets water and sand to get in to the drive shaft... that will damage the drive shaft...normally also the mechanic will fill up the boot with heavy duty grease to protect the bearings... so a normal monthly check or when ever u fill up the wiper washer, give a quick look at the rubber cover... there should be two sets that u look at also...the steering rack and drive shaft rubber covers! simple and easy.... about the the full lock turning i can't comment, coz i thought u could always do that, not a problem:hmmmm:... but NEVER turn ur steering when u have not turned on ur engine... u'll spoil the power steering motor...

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Is just what i think or common sense that tell me that whenever i make a full lock turn too hard, i can feel the a bump on the steering as in, we can feel that i have turn the steering to the limit and also too hard when i turned too fast...which i think is one of the reason my driveshaft is damage also...still i got to find out the main reason that damage the driveshaft. Those mention are just basically what i think it is...

Yes, that's what my pal told me when u do a full lock turn, especially when u make a U-Turn, u will hear some repeated clicking sound until ur steering gets out of the full turn. That's the symptom that your driveshaft is damage, Now I think i even have to change the bushing as I can feel the ground more often. I don't recall my fren told me that i have to change the front suspension just because my driveshaft is no longer in good condition. I dun think it has much to do with suspension.

Suspension a fren once told me, the easiest way to find out if your suspension is still in good condition, go on a normal speed and brake time whenever u encounter a bump, once u passed the bump, if u felt ur car just bounce back once after your tyres passed the bump, is still in good condition, if it bounce more than once, is not that good anymore and most likely recommended to change...

Now my car both side driveshaft also not good condition adi, need to change bushing as well...and i think they are trying to cheat u though. I have changed my suspension long before as it was not good anymore before this driveshaft problem came in. Still a new suspension to me...

Will give u proper details once i find out though. Till then i guess just repair ur driveshaft which is what i intend to do...

Doink

3,000 RPM
Aug 1, 2004
House
Visit site
First,the function of boots is to completely protect the bearing and joints from sand dust and water which will damage it.Turning ur steering to max left and right wont damage it.The kluk sound you hear is the gearing on the steering rack hitting the end of the track.(not good if u often practise max turning and hear this sound)

Damaged boots is due to tear and wear as it is normal rubber which is subjected to frequent heat from engine,environment also hot and frequent stretching and compress when u turn the steering.

There is no way you can protect the boot other than stop driving the car.Boot is a small price to pay compared to changing bearing if it jammed !!! Best thing u can do is to use an original Boot made in japan which is slightly more expensive but durable.

In this case your Vios is already 4 years old and I suspect you must be using this car to travel a lot in city areas.Its a normal wear and tear so there is nothing much to worry and dont cry yet when u are just changing the boots.Ask the foreman how much it cost to change the bearing it protects !!!

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Talking about drive shaft boots.... any idea how my boots could get damaged only after 5 months of usage? I previously installed high quality drive shaft boots (from japan with box) but it only lasted 5 months? Any idea why this is happening? I've already changed like twice in a year, but the boots tears out on the same location...

TRD.AE92

500 RPM
Apr 10, 2009
Talking about drive shaft boots.... any idea how my boots could get damaged only after 5 months of usage? I previously installed high quality drive shaft boots (from japan with box) but it only lasted 5 months? Any idea why this is happening? I've already changed like twice in a year, but the boots tears out on the same location...
because you driving way too fast lo! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

EDRA

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2006
i agree with u trd.ae92. this is happened when you use the brake when stop or slow the car. the temperature of the engine+temperature of brake disk, bearing and tyre one of the reason why this boot easy to tear. i think you all knows that a rubber has its time limit for us to use. like wheel tyre its good only about 3 years time even we dont use it. if we use after that period its will be sound or a bit hard. same to other rubber stuffs like bushing and soft rubber built.

aziziell

1,500 RPM
May 9, 2007
if ur car too lowered it will coz ur drive shaft easy to kong..try to set the high that make the drive shaft straight..fix outer race n fix inner race must inline with barshaft to reduce stress n strain in fix inner race, ball inside f.o.r n f.i.r n rubber boot itself..it just my opinion from last experiece worked as engineer in bigest malaysia drive shaft manufacturer gkn driveline...thanks hehehe

TRD.AE92

500 RPM
Apr 10, 2009
i agree with u trd.ae92. this is happened when you use the brake when stop or slow the car. the temperature of the engine+temperature of brake disk, bearing and tyre one of the reason why this boot easy to tear. i think you all knows that a rubber has its time limit for us to use. like wheel tyre its good only about 3 years time even we dont use it. if we use after that period its will be sound or a bit hard. same to other rubber stuffs like bushing and soft rubber built.
3 year for tire life span? OMG... I always used till more than that... I thought is 4-5 year life span...
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

scottwrx

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2007
there are few ways to protect the drive shaft from unnecessary damage, this is what i learnt from some frens playing with forced induction ff cars

1. try not to accelerate too much during full lock turning e.g while making u-turn, sharp corners, coz u will put a lot of stress on the driveshaft,

2. not lowered the car too much that it is beyond the tolerance, that will cause the boot and joints to have premature failure, as for how much lowered depends on the car

3. use a high quality boot, and check you drive shaft periodically

4. dun use full lock lsd gear box, hehehe... coz it will damage the joints

5. and finally drive slow, dun engine brake too much or sudden acceleration, or touge too much.. muahaha..

hope it helps

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The much anticipated Proton Prevé (pronounced Pray-vay) has just been launched, offering a feast of goodies for the mass market that comes bundled in three variants! According to Proton, the Prevé utilizes 94% of locally sourced components and shares the same platform as the Exora, although it was designed, engineered and built with the collaboration of several international parties and too a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience