HeLp NeEdEd! - BuYinG PArTs FrOm OvErSeAs

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

SpitFire16

Known Member
Apr 30, 2007
Alo all sifu's,laupan,tailo,abang,datuk,adik n etc3x...

I'm sure some of you here bought stuffs from overseas e.g England,USA,Japan..so just wandering what are the procedures?I mean like besides the items price and postage..what else do i have to pay?customs??

for example...a gear knob that cost 45 UK pounds (including VAT)..whatever that mean..heheh..anywhere so i guess the cost of the gear knob n postal would be around rm270++.im a rite?please help...

Cheers

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
Alo all sifu's,laupan,tailo,abang,datuk,adik n etc3x...

I'm sure some of you here bought stuffs from overseas e.g England,USA,Japan..so just wandering what are the procedures?I mean like besides the items price and postage..what else do i have to pay?customs??

for example...a gear knob that cost 45 UK pounds (including VAT)..whatever that mean..heheh..anywhere so i guess the cost of the gear knob n postal would be around rm270++.im a rite?please help...

Cheers
VAT is Value Added Tax. UK has it. It's something like a Sales Tax. It's part of the cost of purchasing the product. Nothing you can do about it.

Postage is dependent on location and weight and mode of transport (ship, air, priority overnight air express, etc) . Before you buy, ask for a postal quote from seller and ask them how long the shiping time will be. The safest and quickest postage services such as DHL priority courier are also the most expensive. You have to decide for yourself what is most suitable for your peace of mind and your budget. Generally, the more expensive options also have tracking numbers for your package so they can track the exact location of your package during the journey.

If package is going to be large and heavy, you can be sure that Customs will take a look at it. That means the possibility of import taxes and duties.

Do your homework beforehand. Go to Customs counter at the package clearance section of the post office. Tell them what item you are buying and ask the officer to check the Customs Classiification Handbook to see if the item is dutiable. Better still, if you have a friend working at an accounting / taxation company, get him/her to tell you. Customs have been known to give the wrong classification. Many times this is done as a measure to generate revenue for the State.

Remember to note down the Customs Number Code for the item, the Classification of the Item and the Rate of Duty. Note down the details even if there the item is exempt from duty.

Custom duty is :- The Item's Custom Tax Rate x [Invoice Value of Item in Local Currency + Postage Cost]. The exchange rate used by Customs is not the prevailing bank rate. Customs has their own rate (adjusted for current conditions). Ask them beforehand, what is the Customs exhange rate for the foreign currency in question.

Customs will determine the Item Classification and Tax Rate based on what you declared on your sales invoice in terms of Item Description and Invoice $$ Amount. What you declare and how you declare is your responsibility. I'm not going to tell you to break the law.

If Customs open your package and impose a duty, check the classification they attach to the item. Is it the same as the classification they previously told you before you brought the item into Malaysia ? There are hundreds of items listed in the Customs Classification Handbook. The classification language often overlap Often you will find that different officers will exercise their interpretation of the handbook differently. You may well end up with a classification different from the one another officer previously gave you.

If you are not satisfied with the Classification given on your item you can debate with the officer on what should be the proper classification. The classification that comes closes to describing your item is the correct classification. That is why you have to do your homework beforehand. Be firm but be polite at all times. Don't be a smart-ass to the officers. They are just doing their jobs.

Example :- I bought several DVD discs containing software for PC Games. The officer classified these as Software for TV Console Games. I disagreed and and told them these are not TV Console Games. These are PC Games software I showed them the classification for PC Games which has a 0% duty.

Do your homework.

If there is a reliable Malaysian distributor for the product, you might consider ordering the parts through a the distributor. Often, the distributor can get the stuff at wholesale prices and pass the savings to you as the consumer. Also, the distributor will take care of all the postage and clearances.

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
Fvel,

wah good advice there.... i once encountered dealing with the local customs when i got my megasquirt standalone ECU from US, and i agree with Fvel these people eerh sometimes not sure wat are the things....

some jokes during the customs' inspection, there was a mini heatsink but it was stated in the invoice with something like just a general 'aluminium heatsink'....
then the custom officer searched thru the thick book on aluminium, waaah searching n searching n searching for 10 minutes, finally found it!!!! aluminium, ok then he got the rate, but big problem comes the unit he got from the text book rate is for measurement in tonnes!!!! eg. xxx / 1000 KG !! wahlao then the officer asked me how heavy is my aluminium heatsink, i showed them, not even 20 grams laar..... then he spent another 10 minutes doing some complicated mathematic calculation...... LOL............

SpitFire16

Known Member
Apr 30, 2007
Fvel,

Thanx for the info bro...that help me alot.Will ask my fren in customs to help me out with the tax n import duties.

Keneth,

thanx for sharing your story,hope mine wont be like that :)

Cheers

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guy,

When I cold start my car in the morning, there will be some greyish smoke from my exhaust and stops after 5 minutes and today I started the car after one week , the smoke was even more but gone after 5-6 minutes, can normal condensation , or could it my turbo leaking or valve seal leaking btw I did top overhaul last year
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience