Hardcoating/Rebuilding Crankshafts

JinSRAD

Known Member
Jul 9, 2006
Guys,

Greetings to all. Appreciate your input here.
Recently spun the crankshaft bearing of my 1998 1.6 Honda Civic 5 spd manual.
I suspect engine oil starvation due to plugged ports.

I am currently faced with 2 options.

The first option is to machine/turn/lathe down the crankshaft and increase the crank bearing size by 0.25mm (quarter tau). This option deprives me of the nickel hardcoating that coats the original crankshaft.

The second option is to hardcoat and rebuild the crankshaft and then machine it down to its original size. I know this method is commonly done in other countries like Australia, US and Japan especially when spares/halfcuts engines can no longer be sourced.

I prefer the 2nd option. Would you know of any shops in KL or Penang that provides such a service?

Many thanks.

V8_nutter

500 RPM
Aug 5, 2004
Go and change a new crank ,,much cheaper. If you lay,,temporary use, rebuild "lecheh" + xpensive.

JinSRAD

Known Member
Jul 9, 2006
I am aware of your proposed option. It would be the IDEAL way to go.

However, I would still like to retain my old crank for personal and sentimental reasons.

Hence, I would appreciate any advice from the 'tech gurus' on this site on the availability of hardcoating/nickel rebuild so that I may utilize this to rebuild some classic cars I have in my workshop if the need arises.

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
Alpine Motorsport (ASR) provide coating service.

Used to be in Serdang.

Not sure where they moved on to.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Any ZTH members in kuching? need info on where i can custom make an air intake pipe for my car...thanks!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience