Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

Government To Phase-out Import Of Used Car Parts & Components Starting June 1

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

teikwing

Known Member
Jan2011014-copy-600x380.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR, March 23 (Bernama) -- The government will gradually phase-out the import of used car parts and components with the first phase starting June 1 this year, said the Ministry of International Trade and Industry's Secretary General Datuk Rebecca Fatima Sta Maria.

In the first phase, four critical items will be banned from imports namely break linings, break pads, tyres and batteries, she told reporters after chairing a meeting here today between government agencies and representatives from the Federation of Engineering and Motor Parts Traders' Associations, Malaysia (FEMPTAM) and the Federation of Automobile Workshop Owners Association of Malaysia (FAWOAM).

Rebecca said through consultation with industry players and other government agencies, all parties have agreed that the prohibition be implemented gradually starting with the most critical items.

She said the ministry will continue engaging industry players as well as other related government agencies to look into standards that will be in place before taking on the next phase of banning.

Rebecca explained that the government was adopting the measure to address concerns of road safety as well as environmental protection.

President of FEMPTAM, Lim Wei Fook said the prohibition of four critical items of used car parts and components would not affect the supply in the country.

He said used car parts and components business generally catered to cars that were more than 10-years old.

Currently, there are 15 million cars that are more than five-years old in the country.

Lim said the used car parts and components was a big business valued at RM12 billion a year.

--BERNAMA

Source:
BERNAMA - Government To Phase-out Import Of Used Car Parts & Components Starting June 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So no more used APP steel-braided hoses, Endless brake pads and cheap Japan tyres? :(

anyway, I can't recall seeing any used batteries being sold in the market.

Thank God that engine components are safe for now. there are still engine kosong, steering rack/pack, aircond compressor and so on for all your 4AGE, 3S-GTE etc. :biggrin:

banned from imports namely break linings, break pads, tyres and batteries,

aiyahhh...this item buy new la..price not bomb..

Well, if they really implement this and successfully, i think its only a sign of things to come... Hopefully they wont totally phase out chop shops, or at least until i save enough money for my 6spd gbox!

what is break linings break pads?

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Government will not take care of you. They find ways to help their fight for more revenue. Not imported tires. Forced to use a tire manufacturer in Malaysia, will certainly die in a car accident about you and me. I believe the year of manufacture of tires imported second-hand, often has some of the new from the local market.

they can also kacau in other ways...:stupid:
do you face issues with insurance renewal if yours is more than 13years?
last year my renewal already kena extra loading charged of 30%...
still can console myself since there's still NCD...

but this year renewal....???:hmmmm:

They were discussing about the high loading for old (10 years) cars in the parliement. I saw one of the session. Concerns for those who has ngam2 budget not able to change to new car n old car still working fine. hopefully there will be some good outcome from that.

I hope to save enough money before the hafcuts were totally banned too!

if can't get the brake pads u wan, u can always get it from other countries during ur holidays!!.. small parts ban not an issue i think, but slight hassle. If they ban halfcut or engine, I'll need to start buying bicycles like Chinaman.. hehehe

Pharking gov...

How to afford to used japan cars now? Means everything must get new. Unless together with this, they lift of the taxes on imported cars and their parts la... Cannot just do one side ma...

For averagers like me...
Say goodbye modding car
Say goodbye to enthusiastic driving
Say goodbye to legends like 4AGE, 4G63T, 6A12TT, MIVEC, VTEC, racing parts

Say high to k car local car
Get used to pak cik driving
Accept the fact that we can use local cars only...

I think this is only starting with brake pads, tyre , batteries...there is more to come .....
just wait see le..... next no import half cut engines only can buy floor engine...no import body parts...next no more turbo powered or supercharger powered engine allowed to be imported .....after 2 to 3 years finally no more chop shops....all buy imported ori new parts ...or buy local car......:mad:

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

I think this is only starting with brake pads, tyre , batteries...there is more to come .....
just wait see le..... next no import half cut engines only can buy floor engine...no import body parts...next no more turbo powered or supercharger powered engine allowed to be imported .....after 2 to 3 years finally no more chop shops....all buy imported ori new parts ...or buy local car......:mad:

if i'm not mistaken...
there're no chop shops in indonesia...
therefore if anybody wanna buy car parts then they'll hv to buy only brand new ori parts...
thus resulting in only da rich ppl can afford to car mods... :banghead:
guess dat with dis coming june enforcement it's a sign to say bye² to car mods... :bawling:

I guess for now no more aftermarket used steel braided brake hose and used endless brake pads for now.... but wait, most of the time the brake hose and brake pads usually comes with the halfcut, rite? So i guess if its in the halfcut, everything goes... unless bring in separately.
About tyres, I don't think there's much demand unless for performance tyres and etc. Since used tyre import has been banned, they should bring down the price of new tyres... AD08 anyone? hehehe
As for batteries, any one here using used japan battery on their ride? Better still, I dont even see chopshops sellling "halfcut" batteries.

I have to agree that this is just the intro, eventually i guess they will ban anything "used" to be imported into the country. But i'm still wondering if it will actually materialize since kastam makes a lot of earnings with the import tax & duty. And if roadtax renewal for old cars were to cost a bomb, I guess afterall we will be forced to chop dem up and start exporting used parts. They close one door just to open another bigger one.

grab anythink while we still hav time...after that, no more Earls oil cooler,cusco strutbar, TRD absorber etc....dem...must forked out my salary even more starting this month...makan megi la ini macam...like the japs tsunami and earthquake victims:bawling:

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

grab anything while we still hav time...after that, no more Earls oil cooler,cusco strutbar, TRD absorber etc....dem...must forked out my salary even more starting this month...makan megi la ini macam...like the japs tsunami and earthquake victims:bawling:

i wondering the writer or editor ada check this article or not
brake also can spelled break

It would be near impossible to be able to ban importation of used engines & some other used parts.
Even developed countries like USA and UK also still allow importation of used engines from Japan.
Unless our automotive development is far greater than of Japan, USA and UK. Where cars so bloody affordable that we can discard it after a couple of years.

Anyone, what is Break Linings and Break pad?
brake lining and Brake pad i know la

Break?? apalaa Bernama konon, I was taught that for that component it is called brake and not break (pecah) .

Top Bottom