Getting my EG soon.

ahbong81

Jun 2, 2006
Hi to all Civic drivers. i'm new here. I'll be getting my EG8 with DB15B engine this week. So i will be doing some servicing. Please advice me for what to do so that i can have a good FC for my car. At the moment, i just wanna maintain it at stock condition. The modification project(Doch Vtec) will only start later. he he. Please advice. thanks
BY the way.... what type of gear box oil and black oil is the best ? mine is auto.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
haha.. DOHC vtec conversion to start later? seriously hard to start if you start fixing your D series.. and I'm not saying this to belittle you.. seriously.

If you were serious about modding, I'd suggest getting a car riddled with engine problems that will make it necessary for an engine swap.

I had a D16 engine in the civic that I bought.. and it only saw use for a day after I bought it. It misfired, burned engine oil like nobody's business, and the dashboard rattled like it was an earthquake or something. I didn't care, because I planned the swap from the beginning, and I bought it at a price just a little over 20K.

What do I want with an EG with engine problems? Throw in a B-series and all relevant parts from a halfcut. It'll be cheaper in the long run if you search carefully for a (relatively) low mileage halfcut.

Now, to answer your question.

If you want servicing, just perform a compression/leakdown test, and you'll immediately know why your FC suffers, it will cost just a little cheaper to fix that problem as opposed to a straightforward B16A swap with a competent mechanic.. and then if you opt to fix it, the DOHC conversion will head straight for the drain. I've friends that went down that route already, even after telling them that it's simply not worth it.

Example: Guy services his D series. Change gaskets. fine for a while, then start burning oil. Service engine again. Engine now ok with new pistons and rings. Then the A/C compressor dies. Change A/C. Then distributor dies. change distributor. With the amount he spent for those repairs, half of his B-series swap budget already gone.. and the sad thing is, he bought it for 36K just a little earlier than me because everything was 'working fine' when he bought it.

The thing is, the current civic you and I are driving have been in existence for at least 11 years. Even the most careful of owners would have accumulated some serious mileage by then. So you can see why it's not a matter of 'if' your engine is having problems of not.. but rather 'when'!

A B series swap will need some minor fixups depending on the condition of the halfcut, but you end up with a lot more horsepower than the D, so it's money well spent.

Good FC for the D series is pretty simple.. as long as the gaskets, pistons,rings and bearings are okay.. you should see good FC depending on how you drive.

the original honda stuffs are the best for stock engines. You'd be wasting money trying to put expensive oils like motul and redline on an engine that's not in mint condition.

EG8

2,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
KL
www.surfer-girl.com
ahbong81 said:
Hi to all Civic drivers. i'm new here. I'll be getting my EG8 with DB15B engine this week. So i will be doing some servicing. Please advice me for what to do so that i can have a good FC for my car. At the moment, i just wanna maintain it at stock condition. The modification project(Doch Vtec) will only start later. he he. Please advice. thanks
BY the way.... what type of gear box oil and black oil is the best ? mine is auto.
hey there ahbong81, welcome to zth. haha..at last you made it here eh? aw is dem too boring with all those city threads..thats why i invite you to come here.

to answer your questions

to get good fc? hmm...

1.make sure the tyre pressure is ngam ngam.no joke.
2.change the engine oil on time ( 5K KM for mineral, 7-8K KM for semi, 10K for sync )
3.reduce your weights haha.. just joking

whats the mileage of your ride right now? for car more than 10 years it is advisable to do top overhaul IF the mileage is more than 200,000 IMHO.you know, those carbons,sludge, sticks in your engine for more than 10 years...

gearbox oil? u mean ATF right? should be changed every 20K KM.any good brand will do.full flush is around 8 litres, normal flush should be around 4 litres.

which engine oil? any will do as long it is a reputable brand.

but like what shiro said, if you have extra money, go for b16a. a good healthy b16a half cut engine is much more economical in the long run.

but if you intend to keep your current engine for a while, make sure you do the routine and you engine will serve you for many years to come.

thanks

Last edited:

TODA

Known Member
May 20, 2005
downtheroad
save all your $$$ on a DOHC VTEC hafcut.......no nid 2 change ur engine or gearbox oil of that D15, let it be............not much improvement that can save ur money since its only a short term

my 2 cents

p/s: pls dun get Auto Dohc vtec in future, in case u wondering.....heheh <- another 0.5 cent

ahbong81

Jun 2, 2006
Thanks guys. Guess when we have a Honda.. we must have a Dohc VTEC.. else it is never complete. Actually budget is a problem at the moment. i do wish to swap it now but better get familiar with the car first. that is why i need to know how to maintain my current engine so that i can safe some $$ in the same time. maybe after a year or two then the D project comes in. Who know... maybe by year 2008, we can get 1.7 i-vtech engine in which is also a good one i believe. By the way.. can i have further detail on what is compression leakdown test? the mechanic here wil not understand this kind of term. mayb some elaboration will help. thanks

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
nope.. don't hope for a better engine down the line.. the K series and R series will not be so easily shoehorned into an old EG/EK chassis. It requires major work, and likely not easily approved by the JPJ, if at all.

As I said, plan well if you're buying a car. A car that 'works fine' now will almost always be a bit more expensive, but will still be have parts that break down.

The next model if you want to swap a R/K series would be the ES, since the 2006 civic makes it obsolete already. Just the patience of waiting for it to fall to reasonable levels where we can buy it at sub 25K :P

leakdown/compression test is a way of checking the condition of the piston rings and cyclinder walls without opening up the engine. If your mechanic doesn't know how to do that, I'd be wary of calling him a 'mechanic'.

Anyway.. it's not a matter of DOHC VTEC being more complete, I'm saying this because an old car is a money pit being dug, and it's simply the idea of trying to be ECONOMICAL in the long run, esp. since our used car prices don't allow us to switch to another used car after 1-2 years of use.

Repairing a honda isn't cheap, which is why a swap is almost always recommended.

Last edited:

EG8

2,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
KL
www.surfer-girl.com
shiroitenshi said:
Repairing a honda isn't cheap, which is why a swap is almost always recommended.
repairing Tep R wont be cheap, hahahaha, and repair it at wrong shop will be a disaster.

honestly speaking, playing with normal b16a engine is much more cheaper than playing L2S or L5 Daihatsu.seriously.

s14sellingnow

Known Member
Oct 25, 2005
yes

evryone is rite.sav the fund u needed don throw any unnessary money on u d-series engines....if u thinking to change b-series later,better leave ur engine alone.if not like shiroitenshi said b4 ur halfcut fund will gone to the old n unused engines later

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

<iframe width="335" height="250" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oHYuW1eKN70" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mercedes-Benz showcases its latest addition to the AMG Black Series stable. Introducing the new Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Black Series Coupe, a coupe that's packed with a 6.2 litre V8 producing 510hp and armed with an AMG SpeedShift MCT dual-clutch semi-automatic transmission, easily propelling the car from zerotohundred in 4.2 seconds. Watch out the video where the movie...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience