• Turbo 1.6 12,000rpm Inline 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NA 2.4 18,000rpm V8

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

The Formula One grid might not be lacking in teams or eager ones that want to be on the grid for the next season but what the pinnacle of motorsport is lacking though is engine manufacturers. Currently, all of the 12 teams on the grid are powered by one of four engines from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, Renault and Cosworth.

Once 2013 rolls in, a new engine design will be put into place, that of a turbocharged inline-four. Part of the goals in implementing the new engine design is to attract more manufacturers into the sport.

The first new engine supplier has already jumped on board. While it may not be a manufacturer or established engine race engineering company, it does possess valuable experience in the sport and already has some experience from Formula One and Le Mans.

PURE, which stands for Propulsion Universelle et Recuperation d'Energie orUniversal Propulsion and Recuperation of Energy in the Queen’s language, will be headed by Craig Pollock. If the name rings a few bells, that’s because the man used to run the BAR-Honda team for a number of years and also managed former Formula One driver Jacques Villeneuve.

The company aims to have an entirely new design of turbocharged inline-four engines well before the regulations kick in, giving it a head start in the game. The design team that will be laying out the specifications for the new engine has worked on Peugeot and Renault engines for Formula One and Le Mans.

Furthermore, once designed, the engines will be manufactured by a subsidiary of Mecachrome, the very same outfit responsible for building the current Renault Formula One engines, including the ones that powered Sebastian Vettel and his Red Bull to victory last year.

Source: Autosport

skazareth

Known Member
Feb 8, 2007
woohoo i like the LIKE button...
off topic, may i ask, i already put my signature but not appear. is it has to do with approval or something?

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
the last Turbo was deem to dangerous, i wonder how this turbo will turnout
dangerous?
you reckon the n/a 18Krpm version any safer?

the cars now survives crashes a helluva lot better now lar.
prev F1 1.5litre motors managed 700bhp soo easily, some say they are capable to pump out 1000bhp!

i'm super interested to see what sorta horsepower them F1 engineers can extract frm a modern turbocharged 1.6. :itsme:

andrew_lsp

Known Member
Oct 12, 2008
actually before they limit to 18k rpm they do can achieve 20k rpm too bad now was all get restricted

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
The 1.6 turbo will lag like hell. Well about 20 years ago it lagged also like hell. I think it will be better with todays technology but it will still lag like hell. When the boost finally comes it would be like all hell broke loose. Must be so peaky to drive.

Good in away as it will bring back more driver skill.

4 banger no lah, cannot lah. It should be at least a V6.

A good compromise would be a 2.0-2.4L V6 turbo.