Exhaust setup for AE101?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

m|ng

Known Member
Hi Mates,

Im driving an AE101 and I want to do some exhaust upgrades to it.
My aim is to get more low end torque for city driving. Not so much on top speed.

I was thinking of a Hotbits 4-2-1 header, Original route piping, and (maybe) a muffler.
But I dont want a noisy setup as well (maybe a soft low hum will be alright)

But the shop I went to in Penang recommended me to keep everything as stock (as it is good enuf?), but just change a bullet for that low end torque.

I hope you guys can give me a bit more advise or share your expertise on this.
:adore:

i'm assuming your car is bone stock running the 1.6 4afe manual (auto also ok) engine. in this case, you best bet would be to change the center bullet as well as the headers as it will help a bit. if you like, you can wrap the exhaust headers (but please do this in a reputable shop - you can google the bad effects of over wrapping and underwrapping). if you'd like to keep noise low, try and not change the muffler but if you want, would be best to get a more free flowing s-flow type. i'm not so sure about the size of the piping if you wanna change it but i think keeping it to around 2"-2.1" should be sufficient (for those who have ideas on these please feel free to comment).

hope this helps! happy driving!:driver:

Yeap its a bone stock car.

do brands of headers matter? I think they do rite?
Yea I guess I need to wrap them, since I will loose the heatshield.

Also, is 4-2-1 better or 4-1?

wont a 2" piping be to large for an NA car? i was thinking maybe a 1.8"?

I'm not too sure about extractors for the 4S-FE.

But commonly, most engines would have better torque from a 4-2-1.

The 4-1 setup is normally for cars that want to keep the power going at high revs. Due to the sudden choke of a 4-1 setup, NA engines receive a certain amount of positive back pressure at mid and higher RPMs when the engine is already "spooled" up (sorry for using turbo terms) and running.

If you're going for torque in anything under 2000cc NA, maximum piping size should try to be kept at 2.0 and always avoid dipping below 1.5
Always go for mandrel bent piping to avoid losing volume at the pipe's bends.
Above 2.5 inches and you'll really start to feel big power loss. As Capt Fast mentioned, 2.1" would still alright.. If only for the novelty factor that you're using big pipes.

Anything between that range and its probably at optimum. Its also possible that you might not experience a whole lot of difference in power as long as you keep the piping size within that range.

Of course all these are just from personal experiments with my 4A. Any corrections are very much welcomed!

Cheers man!

Last edited:
How do you tell them that u want 'mandrel bent' piping anyway?
Whats the term? hahaha

So to sum it up, for good low end torque, get a 4-2-1, 1.8"/2" piping. And Muffler change is optional?

What brand of headers do you recommend? I only know only of Hotbits >.<

haha...for all those terms, there is always google to help you with it to understand...think my guesstimation might be on the high side but i think 2" pipes coupled with a s-flow muffler will be just nice on your car without affecting fuel consumption and noise too much...the 1.8" is more for 1.3 and some 1.5 liter engines...rule of thumb is to not have the pipes bent more than 45 degrees...reason why i might have estimated some larger diameter is cos i'm using a 4age 20v...

also, don't skimp on the quality of the pipes as it will really hurt you in the long run as it might rust and crack...if budget is tight, just make sure the center bullet and the muffler is of stainless steel and try and not get the cheapest kinda pipes...not worth it...mid range is good

if you want to change headers, best keep to those reputable brands (not necessary exp) which know what they are doing rather than cap ayam types which have no form of engineering done to them whatsoever...powerzone has a good set of headers for the 4afe...maybe you can look there...

How do you tell them that u want 'mandrel bent' piping anyway?
Whats the term?

Don't worry bro. just inquire if they use machine to mandrel bend. They'll understand.
It just means tat the piping is consistently of the same size even throughout the bends.. giving you proper size all the way.

And yeah, don't worry about the expensive "big name" brands when choosing header. As capt fast mentioned, proven names that dare to publish their power increments such as Powerzone and Hotbits should suffice.

Hope that helps bro.

Hi bro,newbie here.need some suggestion exhaust setup too.my car is ee90 with svt.my current setup is ori extrator,mid range is 2" box,2.5" FGK straight flow muffler n 2.2"piping follow d ori route.need some advice for better output.
Should i change d mid box to bullet n no need mid box anymore?wat brand n size is better?how bout follow ori route,izit ok?if wan change to performance extrator like HKS,FGK....,wat type of extrator is suitable for svt,4-2-1 or 4-1?some sifu say 4-2-1 setup is suitable for normal driving,n can keep some torque.but if using 4-1,tat means i must always keep d rpm at high place n get d power,am i right?sometime i like to play at highway n drag,which setup is suitable?wat type of exhaust setup they r using on drag car?thanks all sifu here.

Last edited:
Hi bro,newbie here.need some suggestion exhaust setup too.my car is ee90 with svt.my current setup is ori extrator,mid range is 2" box,2.5" FGK straight flow muffler n 2.2"piping follow d ori route.need some advice for better output.
Should i change d mid box to bullet n no need mid box anymore?wat brand n size is better?how bout follow ori route,izit ok?if wan change to performance extrator like HKS,FGK....,wat type of extrator is suitable for svt,4-2-1 or 4-1?some sifu say 4-2-1 setup is suitable for normal driving,n can keep some torque.but if using 4-1,tat means i must always keep d rpm at high place n get d power,am i right?sometime i like to play at highway n drag,which setup is suitable?wat type of exhaust setup they r using on drag car?thanks all sifu here.

all depends on the noise level you are willing to live with. removing the center bullet will definitely increase the noise your exhaust makes but in turn will give you slightly better flow of hot exhaust gases. quite a tricky bit to balance between free flowing and the amount of backpressure necessary for optimum engine operation but i think if you stick with 2.2 piping in the current setup would be alright.

for the drag setup part of the extractor i think you should stick with 4-2-1 setup as you don't drag so much all the time and won't like to drive in high rpm all the time. just get a reputable brand exhaust header with proper tuned length and you're good to go. i think drag racers are using 4-1 setup on their cars but then again they don't usually drive their drag cars to work everyday.

just my 2 cents.

Thanks bro,good lesson for me.how bout suspension setup?im using GAB HA series,but i found d spring rate front 6k n rear 4k is too soft for me.any sifu using tis brand,any suggestion for d spring rate?if i change my current spring length 220mm to 250mm,izit ok?thanks

Top Bottom