Exhaust System Setup for Blacktop 20V

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

carib20v

May 10, 2005
Malaysia
I would like to know the optimum exhaust system setup for a daily driven blacktop 20V in a ae92 body.

Criteria
60%performance 40%noise reduction/fuel economy

Piping Size (outer diameter)?
i) 2in
ii) 2.2in

Piping Route?
i) Straight with slight bends after fueltank
ii) Straight with bends around side of fuel tank & suspension arm

Piping Material?
i) Stainless steel
ii) Normal Steel

Mid-section?
i) Mid-box
ii) Bullet
iii) Swirl bullet
iv) Nothing

Rear-section?
i) Straight-flow muffler
ii) S-flow muffler

Noise level for setup?

What brand or no brand?

Recommended Exhaust Shops (kl, ipoh..)?

Price range for setup?

Please state any additional information or experience you encountered. If possible, this can be pinned up as a guide for other forummers.

Last edited:

banzai

1,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL \ Ipoh
Visit site
Criteria
60%performance 40%noise reduction/fuel economy

i) 2in
ii) 2.2in / 2.3in. sifu EG9 and EFN using 2.38. very good too.

Piping Route?
i) Straight with slight bends after fueltank (go for this. replace your AE92 fuel tank with AE101, so that your downpipe can be done easier, without 'hanging' look.

ii) Straight with bends around side of fuel tank & suspension arm (very troublesome, will cost you more on bending.

Piping Material?
i) Stainless steel. you may want to spray it black too.
ii) Normal Steel

Mid-section?
i) Mid-box
ii) Bullet
iii) Swirl bullet
iv) Nothing (will ve very loud)

Rear-section?
i) Straight-flow muffler (since you indicated 60% performance)
ii) S-flow muffler (will be quieter)

Noise level for setup? straight flow will definitely noisier. adding sound dampening in your boot may help. or re-fiber the muffler.

What brand or no brand? very subjective. try to get those NA muffler with Jasma approved. such as Apexi N1, Tanabe, or HKS.. ..the list goes on. cap ayam can also.

Recommended Exhaust Shops (kl, ipoh..)? in KL> Jaffar in sunway, AH Exhaust service in Subang Industrial Park. ipoh no idea.. very seldom go back there.

Price range for setup? just the piping, in the region of $450. assuming you use back the halfcut extractor, you need to fork out more for the midbox and muffler.

n0th1n

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
japan
junk-dealer.blogspot.com
ya loh, where got 2.3"
even i carik but no find. got ah here at malaysia? i go for 2.5".

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
i) 2in
ii) 2.2in / 2.3in. sifu EG9 and EFN using 2.38. very good too.

Piping Route?

Why Ferrari 450bhp twin pipe only 2 inches each?

Why Mclaren F1 road car 600bhp twin pipe only 2 inches each?

Why super-sonic jet fighter have to close nozzle to smallest to achieve fastest mach 2 or 3 speed?

Piping Material?
i) Stainless steel. you may want to spray it black too.
ii) Normal Steel

stainless steel weld and material will crack MUCH faster than glawanise (if spelled correctly???)

That's why all shops try to sell because you'll go back to repair and replace faster.

Spray black paint will get burned and turn to ash. I don't know any special paint which will last 600 to 700 celcius at extractor and 400 to 500 celcius at middle pipe. If got, sure expensive. For what?

Mid-section?
i) Mid-box
ii) Bullet
iii) Swirl bullet
iv) Nothing (will ve very loud)

Never use swirl bullet because - http://www.my-acoustic.com/Car/intake_exhaust/mufflers/mufflers.htm

read the last section

Rear-section?
i) Straight-flow muffler (since you indicated 60% performance)
ii) S-flow muffler (will be quieter)

The best straight flow I've seen many people here use is Apexi N1. Nearly no sound.

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
BTW F1 Racing Sport by Datco Performance Products of www.datco.com.my cannot take the torche of 20v SVT.

May be it's not the engine, may be it's my extractor too powerful :) heheheheh

banzai

1,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL \ Ipoh
Visit site
yes, we can find 2.3" piping in here. can get from both the places i mentioned above, and also other exhaust shops that i have left out.

i'm using galvanised steel too. i must have mistaken that for stainless steel. sorry for my ignorance for the diff between them.

there's a AE92 SVT in subang using 2" piping, i will check with him how is the performance by using this size.

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
Hei banzai @ chang

no need to bother me one, stick to your choices :) why? because stainless stell expensive, sure I will find excuse not to use it.

Grapes cannot reach - sure sour one mah :) hahahaahha

artnet

1,500 RPM
Jan 19, 2004
Sarawak
www.cardomain.com
i'm using 2.5" la... cis... hate it...
everything not sastisfied.. exhaust and suspension.

when i test drive a modified EF2... darn, exhaust almost no sound in cabin.
suspension is good.. no hard rebound at all. corner fun.
when i asked him wht brand did he(not the owner, middle man) use.. he say dunno.. all from japan... i presume it is jasma approved exhaust system.

the adjustable suspension is silver/grey colour. no idea wht is it tough.

GT20v

1,500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
2.3inch pipe is not very easy to find.......try to heat coated the piping.im not sure where to find it..but i guess you all can find it,right??

if me..i wont go stainless steel.........ill find the most cheapest 2.3inch pipe that i can get......then u heat coat it........why 2.3???coz apexi N1,GT develop this diameter for 20v........dun ask me......im not science roket saintist..hehhehe...........

GT20v

1,500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
yeap...of coz...like hell.......then go apexi n1 ........

TRDae92

1,000 RPM
Mar 24, 2005
Malaysia....
www.cardomain.com
i'm using whole 2.3" piping, ppls call it white steel, don't know how to call it, the exhaust is 5 chicken canon ball type. middle muffle is using EG8 honda one, so far the sound is not loud, only on high rpm then u will heard the loud sound.

TRDae92

1,000 RPM
Mar 24, 2005
Malaysia....
www.cardomain.com
there a forum guy selling the RSR exhaust, RM230 but can nego, the inlet oledi is 3", damn need to consider well lar if i interest about it.

also that the header will effect the power right? 4-2-1 is better lar.... any guys comments??

Last edited:

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
of course 4-2-1 better lah :)

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
Halo halo, just to re-confirm again aaa. My Silvertop AUTO uses 2.5"Inch Pipe with Mandrel Bend 2.5" S Rear Section and a 3"INCH S-Flow Hotbits Australia Muffler - This I swear to be the BEST SETUP for my ride hahahhahaha. And I only use one 2.5" Mid Bullet. Different people have different preference. I like to rev above 4000RPM so I dun care if there is no performance at all below 3000RPM. If I have to change exhaust system I will only use a 2.38" Apexi N1 or Apexi N1 Hayabusa full systems.

Roger And OUT!!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

For all the noble intentions housed by the boffins at Honda by creating the CR-Z as a spiritual successor to the nippy CR-X, sometimes the thought alone just won’t cut it. While the CR-Z does possess a respectable amount of handling to back up the less-than-stellar performance, by far it has fallen quite a distance from the goal.

The decent...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience