Do you hide the Transceiver of your 2way alarm?

nuggyn

Known Member
Feb 12, 2004
I just installed a 2-way alarm system into my car.

I noticed that the installer sticks the transceiver onto the front windscreen.

First of all, what is the transceiver for? For transmitting signals to my controller (receiver)?

Let's say if a car thief breaks into my car and the first thing he does is to disconnect the transceiver (by cutting the wire), will my controller still beeps when the alarm is triggered?

I thought of hiding the transceiver somewhere out of sight, let's say underneath the dashboard. Will the signal still be strong?

also, just now i tried starting my car (auto start) from my gf's condo.....couldn't start. Looks like there's no signal to the car. I could only start that car when i was standing in the main entrance. I was wondering whether the window tinting will block the signals to the transceiver.

please help.

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
i live at 10th floor, and sometimes my car is parked about 500 metres way from my block. i don't need to stand in the balcony and visually see my car to use my autostart, i can even do it in my own room. alarm is radiostar, and yes, my car is tinted with aircool.

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
yes, it's normal to paste the antenna on the windscreen in order to improve the reception. Well, the thieves can only disconnect the antenna when they are already in your car, so you would have already received a warning on your remote. I think there is no harm putting the antenna on the windscreen.

Dremel

1,000 RPM
Nov 19, 2003
Ampng Nrdschlff
Visit site
i stick my 2 way alarm transceiver to the windscreen and it's spoilt after 6 months.. too hot/can't stand the weather maybe? i got the replacement coz my alarm is still under warranty and i relocate it near meter cluster which is somewhat 'cooler'..

in comparison, the reception rate is the same for both

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Dremel said:
i stick my 2 way alarm transceiver to the windscreen and it's spoilt after 6 months.. too hot/can't stand the weather maybe? i got the replacement coz my alarm is still under warranty and i relocate it near meter cluster which is somewhat 'cooler'..

in comparison, the reception rate is the same for both
i've been using mine for 1 year plus now, and no problems. What i did was to stick a sunshade tint on the top of the windscreen (about 15 cm in width) and then only stick the antenna on the tint. Since its 15cm, i used those super dark kind. As for reception, it just might help improve a few feet extra in range, but its better than nothing ;) furthermore, i understand in radiostar alarms, the antenna also acts as a shock sensor, so u have to stick it to something firm in the car as to be able to detect shock impacts on the car more easily.

nuggyn

Known Member
Feb 12, 2004
I'm using the Audiovox Prestige APS996a 2 way alarm. on the manual, it says that the transceiver has the coverage of 1000ft.

Currently it is sticked onto the front windscreen (with sungard tinting).

Like i mentioned earlier, i find that the RF is quite week as i sometimes couldn't "contact" the car with the controller from my condo.
I think i will cut a small opening on the tinting where the transceiver is sticked on. Do you think this will help?

Also, my concern is that car thief will easily damage or remove the transceiver so that it could send panic signals to the controller.
I thought of hiding it underneath the dashboard or placing it somewhere else.

what do you think?

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
nuggyn said:
I'm using the Audiovox Prestige APS996a 2 way alarm. on the manual, it says that the transceiver has the coverage of 1000ft.

Currently it is sticked onto the front windscreen (with sungard tinting).

Like i mentioned earlier, i find that the RF is quite week as i sometimes couldn't "contact" the car with the controller from my condo.
I think i will cut a small opening on the tinting where the transceiver is sticked on. Do you think this will help?

Also, my concern is that car thief will easily damage or remove the transceiver so that it could send panic signals to the controller.
I thought of hiding it underneath the dashboard or placing it somewhere else.

what do you think?
firsty 2 way alarm works on Radio Frequency (RF) so ur tint would not affect the coverage of it. Also when it is stated 1000ft, it is under ideal condition with no obstruction and line of sight. Effective range would be much shorter than that as we live in a world with many other RF signals and hence causes interference. My viper is supposed to be 1000ft range too but this is not to be. I can receive a signal from my car while i am at my apartment which is on the 11th floor with my car parked right below my window.

I would not advise you to move the antenna anywhere else. Just leave it on the windscreen as it is.

nuggyn

Known Member
Feb 12, 2004
trex92 said:
firsty 2 way alarm works on Radio Frequency (RF) so ur tint would not affect the coverage of it. Also when it is stated 1000ft, it is under ideal condition with no obstruction and line of sight. Effective range would be much shorter than that as we live in a world with many other RF signals and hence causes interference. My viper is supposed to be 1000ft range too but this is not to be. I can receive a signal from my car while i am at my apartment which is on the 11th floor with my car parked right below my window.

I would not advise you to move the antenna anywhere else. Just leave it on the windscreen as it is.

hi, thanks for your explaination.

Just now i tried the frquency range. LIke you said, in a straight line directly to the car at about 100 meters, i could receive signals from the car. But when i turn around with my body blocking the controller to the car, i could get any signal. And then i when i turn around again (facing the car), i could get the signal.

according to the manual, windows with metallic layers (tinting) would decrease the strength of the RF signals.

maybe i just try to cut a small hole on the tinting where the transceiver is, hopefully this will increase the strength of the RF signal.

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
nuggyn said:
hi, thanks for your explaination.

Just now i tried the frquency range. LIke you said, in a straight line directly to the car at about 100 meters, i could receive signals from the car. But when i turn around with my body blocking the controller to the car, i could get any signal. And then i when i turn around again (facing the car), i could get the signal.

according to the manual, windows with metallic layers (tinting) would decrease the strength of the RF signals.

maybe i just try to cut a small hole on the tinting where the transceiver is, hopefully this will increase the strength of the RF signal.
i dun think the tint would make much of a difference... maybe breaking a hole in the windscreen would be better... :D :D :D

nuggyn

Known Member
Feb 12, 2004
I just had this thought....i suspect that the transceiver is faulty or it's not working at all.

What's the function of a transceiver?

Let's say i unplug the transceiver from the alarm module, will i still be able to arm and disarm the car....as if i'm using a 1-way alarm??

You see, i noticed that the RF signals is pretty weak for a 2-way alarm. Sometimes even with my body blocking the signal, there isn't any signals. When i turn around facing the car, i could get signals. also, the maximum distance is just too near....as if i'm using a normal 1-way alarm.

I thought of doing this test...to test out whether the transceiver is working. I will unplug the transceiver from the alarm module (ie. alarm without transceiver) and see if the maximum distance is the same. If it is, this means that the transceiver is not working all this while.

What do you think??

tk2005takeru

Known Member
Jun 15, 2005
KK
Wanna ask u sifus out there can we hide a transceiver with the radio reciever?? im suggesting it oni... and hope the SOBs wont notice it... Put a wire on the windscreen juz as a dummy... can this be done?

rattan

1,500 RPM
Oct 30, 2005
www.itswat.com.my
ace79 said:
i live at 10th floor, and sometimes my car is parked about 500 metres way from my block. i don't need to stand in the balcony and visually see my car to use my autostart, i can even do it in my own room. alarm is radiostar, and yes, my car is tinted with aircool.
Bro, how is the radiostar alarm performance ? How long have u been using it ?

superz

Known Member
Mar 21, 2005
nuggyn said:
I just had this thought....i suspect that the transceiver is faulty or it's not working at all.

What's the function of a transceiver?

Let's say i unplug the transceiver from the alarm module, will i still be able to arm and disarm the car....as if i'm using a 1-way alarm??

You see, i noticed that the RF signals is pretty weak for a 2-way alarm. Sometimes even with my body blocking the signal, there isn't any signals. When i turn around facing the car, i could get signals. also, the maximum distance is just too near....as if i'm using a normal 1-way alarm.

I thought of doing this test...to test out whether the transceiver is working. I will unplug the transceiver from the alarm module (ie. alarm without transceiver) and see if the maximum distance is the same. If it is, this means that the transceiver is not working all this while.

What do you think??

hello nuggyn,
just my 2 sens...

i think its best to have ur transceiver and ur remote control check by the authorised dealer.i used to face this problem and after changing the remote control, it got better.dun cut ur tinting la...it will be weird to have a patch with missing tint.then people might break that part(since it is not tinted)easily.

:regular_smile:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The overall champions of Toyota Gazoo Racing Malaysia’s Vios Challenge Season 3 have just been announced and the class champions are non other than:

Overall Class Champions
  • Tengku Djan Ley | Super Sporting Class Champion RM100K
  • Hayden Haikal | Sporting Class Champion RM100K
  • Shawn Lee | Promotional Class
While these overall class champions are presented with a jaw dropping...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience