TheSun Gear Up! Oct 7, 2016 Adjust your mirrors correctly

Toyota Corona TT141

Known Member
May 18, 2014
It is a fantastic article that I think everyone should read especially if you are having difficulty with blind spots while driving. I have tried it and it bloody works. Hopefully anyone who is interested can find it online or even contact the Editor Azlan Ramli @ 03-7784 6688 for this article. If it's already posted somewhere on ZTH, moderators please delete this thread. Thank you. :listen:

Toyota Corona TT141

Known Member
May 18, 2014
I am sorry g4i8y0t, the article is really long with 9 pictures to act as markers for guide. If you could find it online or contact the Editor himself, it would do you a whole world of good and thank you vr2turbo for that link.

I have seen the video without audio but it lacks certain things as I can only presume. (I am guessing here since its done without audio on my pc)

That article "Adjust your mirrors correctly" was published is based on a paper that was published by the Society of Automotive Engineers, written some 20 years ago!

Forget about modern day technology like some side mirrors which has only a small section of the mirror that is curved to cater for blind spot. Inefficient in my unprofessional opinion!

In the not too distant future, the Japanese will start rolling out cars without rear & side mirrors and laws have already been amended for this stuff. Sorry, I seemed to have lost this article on the latest crazy automotive Japanese ideas! If that happens, I will scratch Japanese mirror-less automobiles for good and if I am MO1, I will definitely ban such cars irregardless of whatever United Nations Regulations or anyone else has to say.

I believe sometimes falling back on more efficient and effective old school thoughts & methods is far more beneficial than all the modern day technology they pun into cars these days, which does nothing but to distract drivers from their primary task that is to fully concentrate on the road!

Last edited:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Agreed. Modern cars have too many unnecessary gizmos. My car only has radio/cd player as entertainment. Makes driving more enjoyable I think.

Toyota Corona TT141

Known Member
May 18, 2014
Something about your post g4i8y0t got me thinking about time in antiquity, when I had my first test drive lesson in a car which had chromed bumpers and swing mirrors to capture all the cool breeze.

It was so much pleasurable and easier to drive in that car. Air-conditioners were not needed, since all windows were down, I was expected to use my ear to detect on-coming motorcycles from the back, like some martial art expert hearing abilities!

Sadly I do not remember the name or make of that car and there were far more less accidents in those days.

Modern day vehicles comes in a dizzying array of gizmos at times I feel is more complicated than a fighter jet. If only our driving schools were equipped with state-of-art-facilities like in Top Gun school, whereby we no longer use our primary senses but rely completely on technology to drive! Some are now even loaded with a huge TV inside, they must be really crazy about whats on television!

We've stopped using our primary senses and rely more heavily on technological advancement and while placing too many distractions inside the car and THEN they tell us that are our phones are distracting us while driving!

I wonder if that is the main reason for so many accidents and deaths these days. Then they tell us the cars that they make are safer than ever with SRS airbags!

Did anyone notice the accident on Friday 14 Oct 2016 involving a Toyota Alphard in which the driver died instantaneously? What happened to those so called advanced safety features called SRS Airbags that are claimed to safe lives during a frontal collision?

Since the driver has died, means the SRS Airbag failed to save the driver, the question now is did it inadvertently kill the driver instead? My quest to understand SRS Airbags had taken me to strange territories is what I can say.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Difficult to say between those days and now. Those days cars not that powerful or fast, number of Cars were way less also. Nowadays cars are much faster and more powerful and many young super drivers, who speeds for no reason, don't use signal lights, use hazard lights in rain, uses rear fog lights in good weather.
On air bags issue, was mentioned before that even crash test, tested at 50kph only. If accident at 100kph nothing can be safe and it head only with another vehicle at 80kph means the crash was at 180kph.....:rolleyes:

Toyota Corona TT141

Known Member
May 18, 2014
Couldn't have said it better myself, vr2turbo.

If that is the case with airbags, than it is logical that the government should start reducing the speed limit on all roads, right? Or car manufacturers starts manufacturing car with whole less power than today's killing machines.

I do not know if that is the correct way to calculate energy levels 100kph + 80kph = 180kph but I have to thank you for that lead, as it will surely help in one way or another as I try to build up my case.

It is a real pity today's modern car do not have black boxes like in modern day jetliners. I am surely interested to learn about speed levels just prior to crashes in relation to road deaths.

Then again there was a case in the U.S.A. wherein a Buick was stopped at a T-junction and here comes a Lamborghini which smashed into the Buick! The Buick driver died but not the Lamborghini driver.

So even being stationery does not guarantee safety either and I believe that the man died due to the explosive forces encountered from the SRS airbags which incidentally includes "shock waves" since this kind of energy is most devastating of all kinds. But without official post-motem, my argument won't even stand!

Last edited:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Drive base on road traffic too. Airbag will pop on certain angle only.
Nowadays car have many auto assist.
Drive crazily, how to assist.

As motorcylist 10++ years...we car should aware of them. Mat rempit, set aside.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Drive base on road traffic too. Airbag will pop on certain angle only.
Nowadays car have many auto assist.
Drive crazily, how to assist.

As motorcylist 10++ years...we car should aware of them. Mat rempit, set aside.
But 80 to 90 percentage ride like rempits, only see a few uncle or aunty ride slowly, or keep left on the road. Most squeeze here and there, run red lights and so on.....:banghead:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
In Penang. 3 lane road.
Middle lane is slow lane. While left and right lane for rempits.
I duno about other states.