DIY Project

ahhl

Feb 19, 2005
Visit site
i have a list of DIY project that need help on what to do and where to get
1. Modify rear windows to power windows. do not want to use those typical off shelf power window kit. but thinking of using say kancil motor for power window and switches. need to mod the hand rest, where to go?
2. make front seat electronically recline, where to get motor and switchs. any recommend
3. make my rear seat adjustable back and forth
all this for fiat panda

another one is to install additional rpm sensor to my alternator to attached to my some other project- where to get the sensor?

jaywat

1,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
For the first one, u can do it in any reputable acc shop. Just tell them what u want.
For the rest, not sure lo...

simefly

Known Member
Apr 12, 2005
try studying continental cars (mercedes is the best sample) which have all these mechanism... then, do a lil research and go to a kedai potong and buy the motor, relay... etc etc..

Accessory shops don't carry these stuff yet maybe later in the decade when there is a demand.

Good luck

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
dun goto acc. shop lar.. those guys onli know how to install things... not modify stuffs... n their workmanship is expensive n not really professional...

jaywat

1,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
Last time i simply asked one acc shop..i want the rear door to be installed power window, he said can be done, no need modification or anything...it's depend on whether there is any suitable part. If no suitable part then different case already..

ahhl

Feb 19, 2005
Visit site
yeah.. that why i donno where to go. know any plase around KL?or at lease to get parts

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
i think if u really wanto do those mods.. u really must have some skills... 1st u have to get those stuffs needed like power window motors...

then i think u need to custom make a bracket fr de window... mayb u can take from other car model n modify a bit.. mayb take bigger car n cut it smaller... n customise de mountings...

for de seats i think it is difficult to do it... need a lot of thinking b4 really doing it...

simefly

Known Member
Apr 12, 2005
not to say anything la... but fers thing you must have in mind is really creativity.. without it you could not possibly think of how to DIY the stuff...

What you want is not impossible as it all exist in the market. All you need is to have some knowledge and willing to curse and swear (basically be patient) when things dont quite work out.

You can start by looking at other cars with all these kits (ie mercedes benz e-class for item 2&3) and a fiat panda with full accessories (ie power windows behind)? Then you can visualise the how you can DIY.

Just to recap, the most basic fundamental on DIY is creativity and patience...

ahhl

Feb 19, 2005
Visit site
actually i have the idea what to do, how to modify the motor rtv.. but i lack of tools and donno where to get some of the parts. motor for power window only cost 50 etc..

simefly

Known Member
Apr 12, 2005
Its good that you have the idea, now its just as simple as bolt it on, basic tools like various size of wrench and sprokets, pliers, cutter would be good to begin with.. Some of the tools should be available together in the car tool kit.

Otherwise, study on what tools needed and get it from the local hardware or borrow from friends (more cost efficient).

if you could list down the parts specifically that you need, we all here will be able to help you out a lil

Good luck and happy DIY-ing

xcmeo

Mar 1, 2005
Usually those car acc shops are not interested to do all these DIY as its not cost effective. They rather be installing some expensive sound system for you or some product they sell in the shop.

Another reason is, even if they DIY, the workmanship & reliability of the 'modified' product is not there and you may end up bugging them after that due to the constant failure of the non-R&D product... In the end they lose time & money for some modified project... Now you understand why many not willing to do the mods?

For your project...
No.1 - rear power windows seem possible, just need to find the correct bracket & motor gears to fit your current manual window winder. Then pull necessary wiring.
No.2 - Electric reclining seats? Is your recline done by a rotational round knob or a pull handle? If rotational knob still possible but very difficult to modify & fit the motor powerful enough to move it, let alone hide the motor somewhere under the seat/inside. If the pull handle type, not possible, if yes also not worth the effort.
No.3 - This you have to consult the car workshops that do welding, etc. May be possible but workmanship would suck...

Good luck.

ahhl

Feb 19, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the advice
1. The mode on power window very simple, i just attached the motor on the outside the door. i have to drill the hole on the motor ( as the motor have stick sticking out from the motor) to suit the my window stick. the other idea is to buy extra the window winder,cut it and weld it to the motor. why i put outside. i need arm rest (small one). i also need shop to cover the motor with foam/casing and wrap it nicely to blend with my car interior. the motor will be bolted to the door cover from inside the door and secure it with bracket. switch can get from potong shop. wiring ok i think not a problem.
2. my front seat using rotational knob. there is space under the seat but need something to attached to the knob(?)

zackertashia

Mar 6, 2005
sorry to hijack ur threal ahhl..jus wanna ask,isit possible for this power window mod to b done on kancil too?i tink it's possible..jus need advice on getting material n d pricing..i wan to do it on my gf kancil since hers doesnt have power window n it's troublesome to see her have to open doors when stoppin at tolls..thanx in advance..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Finale 15:45PM

The 2005 Festival concluded in spectacular fashion with a surprise fireworks show during the closing celebrations. Even...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience