Custom Intake Matters

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
Hi all Guru's and Sifu's

i would like your expert opinions regarding custom intakes ... btw i'm talking about Drag Specs :idea:

1. Some say those trumpets connected to the runners are of no use because during high boost, anything above 1.5bar ... these trumpets become resistance towards the forced air ... the use for it is to give equal amount of air to each cylinder so that a normal turbo car can rev up smoothly ... but if for high boost applications especially drag cars ... it doesn't apply ... how true is this ... please elaborate ? p.s. most branded performance intake don't have these trumpets :)

2. A big plenum is important so that the plenum stores enough compressed air in it ... especially after shifting gears so that the car 'tak termenung' ... usually a normal car will have a minor stall after shifting gears at wot. ... Some intakes i see have very small plenum ?? how ... Please elaborate ...

3. Is there such a thing as 'kira-kira' when it comes to designing a custom intake(especially here in M'sia) if yes what is there to count ? short runner/big plenum thats about it ... i think ... care to elaborate more ?

4. How do i determine the size for a TB to fit in a custom intake ? is there some mathematical way to know ? or just RND and hear what other people say ... ?

If u guys have other info to share regarding custom intakes please do share :biggrin:

Thx again for ur time ... late post cause having prob sleeping thiking about this and searching the internet for answers ... :sleep:

panjang ensem

Known Member
Jan 23, 2009
how can u pencen when u never even started????

me takpe, have enough piala too boost to my kids in later years.......wakakakakak

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
how can u pencen when u never even started????

me takpe, have enough piala too boost to my kids in later years.......wakakakakak
takpelah ... i'm not into piala's wakakakakaka :thefinger::thefinger::thefinger: what do u know panjang ? what do u know ? hehehehe ... aku utk syok2 jer ... weekend car ... got too many cars at home :rofl:

dah la jang ... enough of this .... back to topic ...

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
Last edited:

panjang ensem

Known Member
Jan 23, 2009
anyway good luck to u mr syenie mat speed...........if u need some advice on building a piala collection 250HP kancil enjin with just under rm6K, then give me a call........:thefinger::wavey:

xbalance2002

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
guy/ sifu
most of the custom Intake is make of steel is it possible to use alloy tube, who able to make intake with alloy tube?

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
anyway good luck to u mr syenie mat speed...........if u need some advice on building a piala collection 250HP kancil enjin with just under rm6K, then give me a call........:thefinger::wavey:
hahaahahaha .. ko memang sial .. hahahahaha ... :thefinger:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
i prefer an intake runner dat promotes low end torque but at the same doesnt neglect high end power, so a bigger diameter, long, independent, intake runner for each cylinder is preferred. dont forget, air reservoir just before the throttle shud hold twice the engine capacity

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
i prefer an intake runner dat promotes low end torque but at the same doesnt neglect high end power, so a bigger diameter, long, independent, intake runner for each cylinder is preferred. dont forget, air reservoir just before the throttle shud hold twice the engine capacity
any comments on the trumpets ?

btw has anyone had the chance to try an intake with and without trumpet on the same car ?

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
any comments on the trumpets ?

btw has anyone had the chance to try an intake with and without trumpet on the same car ?
well, no.

but here's some more reading.

the interesting part is where it says "More on Intakes"

Browser Warning

another on trumpets:
http://autospeed.com/A_110771/cms/article.html

and another:
Browser Warning

interesting part :
" Pioneering work done by Jaguar on their mechanically injected racing engines showed that it was possible to gain more than 100 per cent volumetric efficiencies (VE) by using very long intake runners. This means that the cylinders actually breathed in more than their swept volume"

and..

"One equation for runner diameter is to multiply the engine volume in litres by the engine's volumetric efficiency, then by the tuned rpm, then divide this sum by 3330. The final figure is square rooted, giving the runner diameter in inches. As an example, a 5 litre engine with an 80 per cent efficiency (expressed as 0.8) and tuned for 3000 rpm, will have a runner diameter of 1.9 inches, or 48 mm. The volume of the plenum should be around 80 per cent of the volume of the cylinders to which it is connected."

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

If you’re into console gaming, you’ve got quite a number of games to choose from to unleash your inner racerboy. There’s Grid, Need For Speed, Gran Turismo, Forza and DiRT. Although they’re all different in genres, with some being pure sim while the others are just for laughs and giggles, generally you’ll have quite a blast kicking back to them.

Those that have DiRT 3 on their Playstation 3 now have the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience