Car suddenly shut down after jerk

Apr 30, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I have my Proton Wira 1.6 year 1996. I've just replacing my clutch plate just for a day. The next day, after driving a car for about 20 km, my car suddenly jerk and after that shut down by itself. I've send to the mechanic, they said it is bcoz of distributor problems. After change the distributor, the car can start but cannot firing up. I have replace the spark plug and cable plug, still nothing happen. can this effect by the ECU, or someone can help me find the solution. there's been 2 week to find solution. still cannot identified any problem.... anyone?????:rolleyes:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I don't quite understand the problem.

It can "Start" but not "firing up"? Meaning it'll crank, but it won't ignite? Distributor, spark plugs and spark cables all replaced?

How does it "die"? Meaning once you turn the key and crank the engine, does it just crank crank crank and nothing happens or does it ignite the engine but then it dies off after that?

I'm just thinking injectors or fuel pump. But it's hard to diagnose without seeing the car. After changing your clutch was the car 'normal' or did it feel weird? Perhaps the mechanic forgot to reconnect a sensor or some plug somewhere isn't properly connected?

Need more info.

Gamabuchi

Jul 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
the car can start but cannot firing up
i think he want to say the car starter works but the engine not starting.

i have this problem with my perdana sei. Manual tranny. can drove few km, the suddenly dies (gear on neutral, car parked). Following day, the car won't start at all but can crank.

on my experience. the problem are caused by the clutch plate not align well. Need to be perfectly centered. usually the alignment lari when tightening the bolt

After re-align the clutch plate, the car still can not start. That is because my spark plug flooded with petrol from yesterday's attempt to start the car. I use vacuum to suck the petrol out from the spark plug chamber, clean the spark plug. The car start in one key turn after that.

for auto tranny, need to check the neutral/park switch as this is common problem too when changing the plate. I had no experience with this thou.

need to check your battery voltage to. I assume, you been trying to start the car in this 2 weeks. Your battery probably lose a lot of power during that.

jazz89

Apr 30, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
After changing the clutch, my car was totally normal for just one day. the next day, when I drive about 20 km, the car suddenly jerk and die..I try to start, the engine crank but nothing happen. Meaning, my car can start but it won't ignite la kan. Once I turn the key and crank the engine, it just crank crank crank and nothing happens . the mechanic also said it is because of the distributor. The car starter work well but it just won't ignite. This happen to my father's car too. after I change the sensor, the car can start as normal. I try to do the same think to my car, but it won't ignite.

Gamabuchi

Jul 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
why don't you give specific details about your car first.
carburetor or injection?
manual or auto transmission?
electronic or mechanical fuel pump?

distributor problem very easy to detect. Ask someone to crank your engine and then you just ketuk-ketuk the distributor. Same like if your starter not working, ketuk-ketuk first. if it starts after ketuk, then the problem is there.

if you are pretty confident the plate are center align, try check your fuel filter. clogged fuel filter can cause less or no petrol going to the ignition chamber. wira fuel filter quite hard to remove, don't d-i-y if you not sure. i suggest try to take out the spark plug first see if its flooded with petrol. if no petrol, then fuel filter or fuel pump got problem. you might want to add that to your check list too.

you dad drive what car?

if you can provide more about your car, probably some of us here can help. from what i've seen and touch, some wira don't have any sensor (carb model especially) except speed, radiator temp and fuel sensor. correct me if i'm wrong. only european exported have more sensor such as o2 sensor. o2 sensor also can caused your car can't start.

pdaoz9x

Oct 21, 2014
I am also got same problem.... But, when I relocate my fuel pump relay, it be normal again... Most probably, the wiring itself... Some point not touch each other..Just wondering...... ...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Got this review from Import Tuner. Find it quite useful. Wondering is this product available in our shores...

From the September said:
You spend all night preparing for a car show, your engine and engine bay are perfectly detailed but you still have one problem: What are you going to do with that unsightly rusted exhaust manifold that sticks out like a sore thumb? We found a solution that’s easy to apply, affordable, and most...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience