Can new Wira 1.6l (M) gearbox still be found?

Progen

Aug 26, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
I was speaking to a mechanic the other day about replacing the worn synchromesh and he said not to bother with reconditioned ones with limited warranty and go for a new one around RM2,000+ instead.

The thing is other mechanics I've spoken to can only get the reconditioned ones and I can't go to the first mechanic because he's in another town.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
"New" gearbox is not impossible. But for 2000 that's somewhat cheap for new. How much are the reconditioned ones?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
He could be passing the recon off as new for that price....

Why not repair your old one instead.....

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
nowdays, repair and recon very hard to differential......as these stuff are passed on and over another.

Like bro vr2turbo asked, why not repair it? Manual trans is easier to fix, esp the wira model. (i smell the mechanic dono fixing g-box, so he proposed changing nother g-box and he gets the business eventually).

Autobox fixing can cost a lot more to fix....

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
nowdays, repair and recon very hard to differential......as these stuff are passed on and over another.

Like bro vr2turbo asked, why not repair it? Manual trans is easier to fix, esp the wira model. (i smell the mechanic dono fixing g-box, so he proposed changing nother g-box and he gets the business eventually).

Autobox fixing can cost a lot more to fix....
I have seen my mechanic fixing many types of auto gear box and you are right, many mechanics nowadays get recon unit, remove your old one then fit in recon one...kaotim
Old one send to recon wait for next victim......lol

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Hahahaha, some mechanics nowdays only good with swapping parts......not fixing anymore.

They shouldn't have name their shop "Kedai Baiki Kereta", instead call in "Kedai Tukar Barang"

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hahahaha, some mechanics nowdays only good with swapping parts......not fixing anymore.

They shouldn't have name their shop "Kedai Baiki Kereta", instead call in "Kedai Tukar Barang"
Yup, same in many other category, like PCB. Faulty change whole board, whereas if know the technician he find which diode or capacitor that is faulty, and just change that....:biggrin:

Progen

Aug 26, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
I was going through some posts and owners were saying that it costs lower RM1,000, inclusive of labour, to change all the synchromesh gears which was why I thought if there were really new ones for RM2,000+, then I'll be going for those. I've seen auto gearboxes advertised as new and guaranteed to be new instead of reconditioned so was wondering why aren't there any new manual ones.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I was going through some posts and owners were saying that it costs lower RM1,000, inclusive of labour, to change all the synchromesh gears which was why I thought if there were really new ones for RM2,000+, then I'll be going for those. I've seen auto gearboxes advertised as new and guaranteed to be new instead of reconditioned so was wondering why aren't there any new manual ones.
That is because cars are all going auto. There are model without manual option even.

Anyway, why do you need to change all the synchromesh? Are all gears difficult to engage? Usually synchromesh for one gear will go faulty, and not all. My VR MT gear box I have changed the 2nd gear synchromesh before....:rolleyes:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
there is no such thing as new gearbox, even if there is will costs u a bomb,
those in the market are reconditioned ones, using new parts. must ask them what they mean by "new gearbox".

the best way is to get a used gearbox from halfcut & just install it.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
with the right tools, one can even swap a car gearbox in the backyard of the house...
Ppl have swapped engine in their own garage, so gearbox should be simpler.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
with the right tools, one can even swap a car gearbox in the backyard of the house...
Ppl have swapped engine in their own garage, so gearbox should be simpler.
WRC team change them in a couple of minutes only......hhahahhahahaha

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
my experience of 'repairing' gearbox is basically replacing each/some of your gear bearing...and the output will be your gearbox will be more noisy...reason very simply...imagine now you said your 3rd gear is bit loose etc...and you only replacing your 3rd gear bearing and so call 'tighten' it...same time it pressured your others gear which the gigi already makan....

SO in order to rectify this, you basically need a brand new gearbox where all 5 gears, reverse gear, bearing, shaft all new...else no point fixing them...

A Rm2000+ to me is a halfcut gearbox...recond or not...depend your luck... i would spend looking for one which is from halfcut and look at the external case condtion and all the gear level...to 'try' guess the condition...final outcome only know once you installed into your car...but certain necessary need change like flywheel bearing etc...

BTw, what problem with your 1.6 gearbox ? 5th kick ? make sure you get the SAME code gearbox as ratio is different...SOHC, DOHC, Mivec....

Progen

Aug 26, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
That is because cars are all going auto. There are model without manual option even.

Anyway, why do you need to change all the synchromesh? Are all gears difficult to engage? Usually synchromesh for one gear will go faulty, and not all. My VR MT gear box I have changed the 2nd gear synchromesh before....:rolleyes:
Having clunking / grinding sound with the following changes

Neutral to 1st
3rd to 4th
4th to 3rd
2nd to 3rd also not that smooth

Definitely synchromesh problem because it's fine if I double clutch but that defeats the purpose of having synchromesh invented in the first place. :D

ps. 4th to 5th and vice versa is fine.