Buying stuff from overseas online shop

narx

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
As the title suggest,
i`m getting some parts from overseas from an online performace parts shop.

Is there anyhting i should be aware off other then the fraud cases..

such as ,
payment methods
shipping charges
..etc..

was wondering as well,
would tax be imposed on mechanical items
such as fuel pumps?

regards,
clayton

links

1,500 RPM
May 26, 2004
auto parts are having import tax either new or used. also not all people can import autoparts. IT not mistaken it needs AP to do so...better check it out before your goods trapped in the custom.

if you are carry back the parts yourself maybe its better if you are using shipping then may have difficulty..unless you have frens having contacts with the custom and willing to borrow you his company name as the consignee

narx

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
i thought ap is just needed to import cars?
btw,
its just for personal use... hhmm..will check on it..

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
clayton, they will ship to you which is door to door, all delivery service can do it and u dont need to go for special clearance at customs unless it is related to tele-communication items, and for that u need to go sirim to get approval which takes a while in sirim.

so just make sure that u email to them before purchasing on wat are the terms on the b/l (bills of lading).

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
narx
r u gonna ship em in
if u gonna get a walbro then u better see extremepsi but they UPS service is expensive

narx

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
fstrader said:
clayton, they will ship to you which is door to door, all delivery service can do it and u dont need to go for special clearance at customs unless it is related to tele-communication items, and for that u need to go sirim to get approval which takes a while in sirim.

so just make sure that u email to them before purchasing on wat are the terms on the b/l (bills of lading).
what is bills of lading?

narx

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
jinkl said:
narx
r u gonna ship em in
if u gonna get a walbro then u better see extremepsi but they UPS service is expensive
nah not getting a walbro..
but a carter fuel pump

AlucarD

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
They are reputabel

Dude, they shipped some stuff to me before. These guys are reputable. So no worries, you will get it ...

Problem is with our customs, depending on what courier co the use. It can be door to door or the goods can be held by custom when you need to pay tax. They can hold it up to 45days. I usually received my packages within 20 shipped via air but not express. Express in very expensive. Pray that those a$$hole dont open your package and take it for their own use? Anyway, insurance will solve that.

Get them to underdeclare the value of your goods so you pay no or less tax. Declarations are handled by them as well so no worries. You just sign for it.

wetsprocket

Known Member
May 12, 2005
bolehland
Yes, you have to pay import duty for auto parts.

The applicable import duty rate is 25% and sales tax is 10%. Since sales tax is calculated on gross value of import value+duty, the effective rate you'll pay is 37.5%. E.g. Invoice value USD100, shipping USD20, insurance USD5.

Total dutiable value will be USD125. Import duty=USD125*25%=USD31.25. Sales TAX=(value+duty)*10%=(USD125+USD31.25)*10%=USD156.25*10%=USD15.63. So you will be paying USD171.88.....that's effectively 37.5% of duty and tax on top of the dutiable value.

If the seller is savvy, they will under declare the invoice value by half (this will on their side be declared as the wholesale price).

However, as a general rule of thumb if the dutiable value is less than RM500, the customs people will usually allow through without duty, if they believe it is for personal use.

narx

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
AlucarD said:
Dude, they shipped some stuff to me before. These guys are reputable. So no worries, you will get it ...

Problem is with our customs, depending on what courier co the use. It can be door to door or the goods can be held by custom when you need to pay tax. They can hold it up to 45days. I usually received my packages within 20 shipped via air but not express. Express in very expensive. Pray that those a$$hole dont open your package and take it for their own use? Anyway, insurance will solve that.

Get them to underdeclare the value of your goods so you pay no or less tax. Declarations are handled by them as well so no worries. You just sign for it.
u bought stuff from them before? thats good to hear that :D

what shipping service did u use?
so for ur case u paid tax huh..

its 10% from the value of the item rite..

narx

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
wetsprocket said:
Yes, you have to pay import duty for auto parts.

The applicable import duty rate is 25% and sales tax is 10%. Since sales tax is calculated on gross value of import value+duty, the effective rate you'll pay is 37.5%. E.g. Invoice value USD100, shipping USD20, insurance USD5.

Total dutiable value will be USD125. Import duty=USD125*25%=USD31.25. Sales TAX=(value+duty)*10%=(USD125+USD31.25)*10%=USD156.25*10%=USD15.63. So you will be paying USD171.88.....that's effectively 37.5% of duty and tax on top of the dutiable value.

If the seller is savvy, they will under declare the invoice value by half (this will on their side be declared as the wholesale price).

However, as a general rule of thumb if the dutiable value is less than RM500, the customs people will usually allow through without duty, if they believe it is for personal use.
damn the tax just kills....
the value of the item i`m interested in is for sure less then RM500..

well lets see whether they will comply to underdeclare the products

AlucarD

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
narx said:
u bought stuff from them before? thats good to hear that :D

what shipping service did u use?
so for ur case u paid tax huh..

its 10% from the value of the item rite..
Yes, that was some time ago! Think I got a set of ARP Rod bolts.. way cheaper in the states and I didn't had to pay any tax. They under declare it and goods discription was screws and nuts!! Hah ...

Shipping was the normal flat rate int'l air parcel.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Good day,

Another Opti-Coated BMW F10 520i since months back, this car condition is good. No major correction were carry out during preparation. Somehow, there is bird poop etched on the hood i didnt manage to remove cause its too deep. Without sacrificing too much of clear coat, i didnt go any further. Other panels such as doors, roof, rear bonnet were polished and finished with OHP. Finishing was done with Flex that i borrowed from...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience