Broken knuckle bolt

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
As I tried to loosen the lug nuts, one of the lug nut siezed and as I tried even harder to turn it, the bolt snapped. The other lug nut siezed too on the same wheel.
Now, I am left with 3 lug nuts. Can the broken bolt be replaced without replacing the knuckle? Is it possible to take out a siezed lug nut without breaking the bolt?

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
As I tried to loosen the lug nuts, one of the lug nut siezed and as I tried even harder to turn it, the bolt snapped. The other lug nut siezed too on the same wheel.
Now, I am left with 3 lug nuts. Can the broken bolt be replaced without replacing the knuckle? Is it possible to take out a siezed lug nut without breaking the bolt?
U mean the stud broke?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Do you have ABS? If yes then you'll need a press to compress the thing out. If no ABS then it's just a matter of hammering the broken stud out.

I've broken about 3 before. Running 3 wheels with 3 lugs. Hero betul.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
U mean the stud broke?
Yes yes, it's stud. I didn't know the correct term.

Do you have ABS? If yes then you'll need a press to compress the thing out. If no ABS then it's just a matter of hammering the broken stud out.

I've broken about 3 before. Running 3 wheels with 3 lugs. Hero betul.
Yes, it's with ABS.
I'm relieved that the stud is replaceable. Any idea how much it cost to do so?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yes yes, it's stud. I didn't know the correct term.

Yes, it's with ABS.
I'm relieved that the stud is replaceable. Any idea how much it cost to do so?
For my Myvi the stud costs about RM10 bucks at the shop itself (probably cheaper elsewhere but you must buy the perfect fit and length. Not all studs are the same). Then installation about another RM40 bucks to pump it out and install the new one.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
For my Myvi the stud costs about RM10 bucks at the shop itself (probably cheaper elsewhere but you must buy the perfect fit and length. Not all studs are the same). Then installation about another RM40 bucks to pump it out and install the new one.
It costed me RM30 including installation and the stud for my Persona.
Brake drum though.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Seem like DIY is not my option, all I have is some wrenches and a jack here. Got to pay professional for the work.

By the way I think I should slowly accumulate some tools and equipment for future DIY use.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Eh bro, how come your Inspira doesn't have the ABS bracket? My stupid Myvi had the bracket blocking the lug otherwise I could have replaced it myself too. The bracket took a heavy duty pump to pump out.

Btw YYC, what car is yours? If it's a simple non-ABS car or the ABS isn't blocking then I probably could do it for you since I'm meeting up a few folks on June 1st.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Eh bro, how come your Inspira doesn't have the ABS bracket? My stupid Myvi had the bracket blocking the lug otherwise I could have replaced it myself too. The bracket took a heavy duty pump to pump out.

Btw YYC, what car is yours? If it's a simple non-ABS car or the ABS isn't blocking then I probably could do it for you since I'm meeting up a few folks on June 1st.
Izso you should have said it earlier mah:biggrin:...Perdana V6. I'm not sure about whether the ABS blocks it or not, anyway I have sent for driveshaft replacement this morning so let the workshop fix the stud together. I am just scared he spoit my wheel in the process of taking out the seized nut.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Just took the car back. Replaced 2 studs, total cost RM10.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If the studs broke because the lug nuts seized onto it, better you grease it lightly before tighten it on....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Some just have it good, and others literally bathe in luck every morning before heading to work.The there are those that do what we probably couldn't even do in Gran Turismo 5, pit an Audi RS3, Subaru Impreza WRX STI Spec C, Ford Focus RS and Ferrari Enzo against each other to see if the supercar can keep its supposedly lesser and cheaper beings...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience