BMW burns some oil with the 520d

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

BMW Group Malaysia have introduced the first diesel-engined variant of their 5 Series executive sedan, the 520d, that will now offer customers another option of premium executive motoring but with the addition of impressive fuel consumption figures.

The F10 5 Series has already garnered over 70 international awards including the Red Dot Design Award, Germany’s Favourite Car and numerous Car of the Year awards from many countries. It has also achieved best-in-class results in the European, American and Australian NCAP crash testing.

“The new BMW 520d is a welcome addition to the award-winning range of executive sedans that we at BMW Group Malaysia are offering to our discerning customers. As the perfect balance of fuel efficiency and class-leading performance, the new BMW 520d will certainly appeal above all to corporate customers and high-mileage drivers, reinforcing BMW’s position as the superior choice in the premium executive segment,” said Geoffrey Briscoe, Managing Director of BMW Group Malaysia.

Motivation for the latest addition to BMW’s local stable is in the form of an all-new 2-liter, inline four common-rail direct injection diesel engine. Power is rated at 184hp together with a whopping 380Nm of torque to lug it to the century mark from a standstill in 8.1-seconds and onto a top speed of 225km/h. Being an oil burner allows it to do all that while just consuming 5.2-liters of diesel for every 100km.

As the first car in its segment to offer an eight-speed automatic transmission, the 5 Series has a lot to live up to and the 520d carries on that legacy by coming paired with the same transmission as standard. The extra gearing allows the 520d to achieve reduced fuel consumption, especially on cruising.

The 520d is fitted just like any other car from the brand, with a host of features and equipment to provide that premium experience that the brand is synonymous with. BMW ConnectedDrive offers USB connectivity as well as Bluetooth functionality for devices such as handphones and MP3 players to be plugged in.

BMW EfficientDynamics is now a standard offering in all their vehicles and the 520d benefits from Brake Energy Regeneration and Electromechanical power steering to reduce energy wastage and parasitic engine drag.

Safety has been kept to a maximum with a host of driving assistance technologies such as the Dynamic Stability Control. Furthermore, drivers will get to select a driving and suspension setup that suits their needs, be it a more comfort-biased ride or firmed up dampers for sharper handling. The Dynamic Driving Control as it’s called, which works in conjunction with the Dynamic Damping Control, enables the driver to set up the suspension and engine response among other things to suit their style.

The 520d is covered by BMW’s extensive service program that offers cover of the normal wear and tear repairs or replacements as well as maintenance, service and repair of factory components for three years from the original registration or 60,000km, whichever comes first.

The retail price for the 520d has been set at RM333,800 (OTR w/insurance).

BE5RSK

Known Member
Dec 31, 2009
Besaout
I wonder how it "tolerate" with the poor diesel quality in our shore:smokin:
Nevertheless, turbo diesel is a joy for town drive and frugal consumption.
But, expect some higher maintenance cost and repairs.

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
This is certainly very, very good news for many. Our diesel quality might not be at par with Euro standards, but this package as an overall certainly makes the idea much more appealing.

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
I am sure BMW have done their research and have found the diesel here to be 'good enough' albeit not at the quality of european diesel. If not, they wouldn't bring in their diesel variants.

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
FYI bmw will tune it to run on local diesel as all the new bmw run on ron95.

bladerunner

500 RPM
Nov 8, 2006
You mean DE-tune the 520D...

Its a nice car no doubt, but it's going to be spewing black smoke in a few months time and is not my idea to spend 300+k on a car.

pl4y3r122

Known Member
Sep 9, 2007
hope dis model doesnt have de big bang knock sound problem from de rear absorbers as de 523n 528..... alot of buyers have complained in bmW malaysia forum.. dey still didn't get any solution abt de problem yet.. ;) maybe its just de 1st batch.. :P

drMpower

May 1, 2006
so
avoid the white colour i guess?

BE5RSK

Known Member
Dec 31, 2009
Besaout
Wise move by BMW Malaysia, I think. It gives another option in the luxury car segment.

If you are a businessman/woman who need to travel a lots with luxury car (to keep up the image), then this will be a nice solution for low monthly fuel expenditures.

But, if just clocked average mileages of less 1000km per month, I am still believed petrol model is the best choice.

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
for rich biz man/women driving that car diesel ?will they dare to go pump full tank at any station as i know all diesel pump/gun always in dirty/oily condition and on floor also got oily diesel..so i think they might pay from station boy to help their pump up...about diesel oil standard in malaysia..i still no enough for euro car which in luxury high end vehicle...maybe will ruin engine ater few year...:stupid: