Are Majority of Malaysians Stupid?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Government says Hybrid cars are import and excise free. Of course, there's still 10% sales tax.

Honda CR-Z starts at RM119,000. Removing the 10% sales tax, it is ~RM108,200, the price with NO TAX, NO IMPORT TAX, NO DUTY, NOTHING.

RM108,200 = USD$34790.95

Honda CR-Z sells for
US$19,975 in the United States

USD$25,340 in Japan

USD$25,826 (GBP$16,999) in UK

So, if there's NO TAX, NO IMPORT DUTY, NO EXCISE DUTY, why so big difference? Where's the money going?

Yet, people still buying and feel its normal. So they don't know how to count or their just stupid? :confused: No wonder the government can rule for so long, cause majority of the people are stupid?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
No lah, don't be so pessimistic. I don't think most Malaysians are stupid (if I think that, then I would not come to work here!)
I think people still buy cause they just don't have much choice. At least for the hybrid cars, it's not like 2x-3x the normal prices like other cars. So despite the suspicious difference, people might still be better off to buy them compared to other normal cars. So it's like choosing the least worse of the worse.

VTEC LoVeR

500 RPM
Jun 30, 2010
Kulim
The are a lot of hidden tax that even government not dare to declare. If Malaysia follow the average price tag among the world for the hybrid cars, Proton and Perodua can pour to drain already lah... hahahaha :rofl:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
So government cheating the rakyat? Where's the money going? Nobody bother to ask? lol.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Why you didn't say that Honda Malaysia get the huge profit here?
Possible, but last I checked, prices of cars is not determined by the car company but by MITI. Remember VW Polo GTi price increment? Wasn't done by VW Cars Malaysia.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Buying cars is not stupid. Voting for this government is. Why? Because it is the main medium of transport here. To work, send kids to school, groceries, family outings, etc. Public transport here sucks shit if you know what I mean. Try visiting Singapore, UK, Hong Kong. Their commuters and buses are so good. Clean, well maintained, punctual, comfortable. In those places, people don't need cars to work and travel. Owning a car is more of a luxury instead of a necessity. Here, owning a basic car is necessary. Owning a luxury/sports car is luxury... Here, without car, life stops.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Its not about buying cars really, its about being lied to and deceived, and since this is a car forum, I'm using cars to state the case.

BTW, Honda Malaysia is JV between Honda and.... DRB-HICOM. Ask yourself who is DRB-HICOM, then answer me if its nothing to do with the government. LOL. See, people are just plain stupid and ignorant.

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
Yes, I know the each import brand car price set by MITI...but its just there to extend the price margin between local and import car..
In case of hybrid car, most of the profit goes to Honda..or Toyota...or Lexus...

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Yes, I know the each import brand car price set by MITI...but its just there to extend the price margin between local and import car..
In case of hybrid car, most of the profit goes to Honda..or Toyota...or Lexus...
Ok, so assume we use your theory, MITI set prices, profit goes to Honda/Toyota/Lexus.

IF, there were no tax breaks for hybrids, the income generated from duties & taxes goes directly to the government, which, indirectly belongs to the rakyat. Net result, rakyat still pay high price BUT government coffers get fatter.

Instead, government gives tax breaks for hybrids, and in turn, MITI jacks up the price, and the money goes to the private institutions owned by you-know-who *cough cronies linked company cough*. And net result, rakyat still pay high price. Worst still, government don't generate income from it. And certain people's wallet get fatter.

Sounds like a rakyat lose-lose-lose situation, which is why I say Malaysians are stupid, they talk about the hybrid tax breaks like government was really supporting cleaner technology, giving benefits and real tax breaks. Actually they just robbing the rakyat blind.

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
Agree with you.
But similar to what 6UE5t said, its the least of the worse..

And in case of Malaysian demand, i don't think buying car in Malaysia is a necessity anymore..
C segment has the highest sale here...there's no reason to reduce price...

Rakyat 'willing' to pay higher price...but then lament about it...

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
dun worry, next month u guys know which party to vote....:biggrin:
I HOPE so. Just worried people are stupid, that's all.

Agree with you.
But similar to what 6UE5t said, its the least of the worse..

And in case of Malaysian demand, i don't think buying car in Malaysia is a necessity anymore..
C segment has the highest sale here...there's no reason to reduce price...

Rakyat 'willing' to pay higher price...but then lament about it...
Urm, sales of car has been going up, national cars are leading. Ask the people who buy national cars, would they buy it if they had a choice? I would dare say NO. BUT, choosing the government who determines the national automotive policy, they have a choice. But apparently they don't know how to choose.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Buying cars is not stupid. Voting for this government is. Why? Because it is the main medium of transport here. To work, send kids to school, groceries, family outings, etc. Public transport here sucks shit if you know what I mean. Try visiting Singapore, UK, Hong Kong. Their commuters and buses are so good. Clean, well maintained, punctual, comfortable. In those places, people don't need cars to work and travel. Owning a car is more of a luxury instead of a necessity. Here, owning a basic car is necessary. Owning a luxury/sports car is luxury... Here, without car, life stops.
True public transport here is not yet up to the level of those countries you mentioned BUT it's actually quite decent and getting better I think. Why I said so? Cuz I was using it for more than 3 yrs non-stop every day along with my wife and small kids (one of them were still a baby at the time!) before I decided to buy cars here! Went to work, to school, shopping, eating, sight seeing, hospital, etc2. all using public transports (RapidKL, Metro bus, LRT, & Monorail) from the first day I came here in late 2007 to early 2011! Even my folks from back home when they came here the first time, we use public transport to go everywhere. If it was so bad, I would not be able to last using public transport that long, would I? I know every citizen always naturally demands more and more of their government, but sometimes you also have to be a bit objective and somewhat appreciate (to a certain degree) for what you already have. I know it's difficult for people on the inside to feel that way and only those from the outside who had experienced a lot worse can appreciate more. :)

Btw the only public transport which I agree is a total crap here is taxi! Taxi here is just unbelievably worse than I expected, way2 much worse than I've ever experienced anywhere (except India). This is the only public transport which is totally embarrassing in Malaysia by any standard! I wish Bluebird from Jakarta come here and open business to show how it should be done!

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

I HOPE so. Just worried people are stupid, that's all.

Urm, sales of car has been going up, national cars are leading. Ask the people who buy national cars, would they buy it if they had a choice? I would dare say NO. BUT, choosing the government who determines the national automotive policy, they have a choice. But apparently they don't know how to choose.
Well choosing a government is not just by looking at the automotive policies, there are many other important thing or even more so to consider than just cars.

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Dont think majority of Malaysians are stupid...

Its only that they dont have a choice...

Maybe next month election time, they might have a choice!

A good choice may open doors to cheaper cars, lower toll rates, and overall better standard of living!

So you guys, take it from here.......!