Airline Ramp Agent

minicooper2u

Known Member
Anyone out there is a Airline Ramp Agent ?

Hoping to find some friend same field to share ex"peri-peri"ence. TQ

Airline Ramp Agent Duties
Ramp agents are responsible for all ground servicing of an aircraft while in the airport between flights. Typically, this means preparing for aircraft arrival by readying the wheel chocks, beltloaders (for unloading baggage), and various other machinery used in aircraft maintenance. When the aircraft arrives, ramp agents are responsible for guiding the pilots with hand signals or orange flashlight wands into position next to the gate. When the plane comes to a stop, ramp agents chock the wheels of the plane and guide the jetbridge (the enclosed ramp connecting the airport gate to the aircraft) to the aircraft door.

Ramp agents also perform a variety of maintenance activities, including spraying de-icing solution on the plane's wings, keeping the tarmac free of debris, and sometimes refueling and loading catering supplies, although refueling is usually handled by independent contractors.

Airline Ramp Agent Qualifications
Working conditions for ramp agents can be difficult at times. Most work is performed outside in all types of weather, and ear plugs are usually necessary because of aircraft engine noise. Agents sometimes must work quickly to ready a plane for departure, and weather delays can cause several flights to arrive at the same time, making for hectic schedules. Overtime work is common. Applicants should have a high school diploma or its equivalent and a valid driver's license, be able to lift heavy objects, and work well under pressure. Average starting pay: $9.75 to $26.00 per hour.

Bro,i used to work for load control dept with SQ doing weight & balance in SG.So far,only flew in/out from India for loadmaster during the cutover of a new sector.Have to train other stations staff that don't have the particular aircraft type's lic.Quite an interesting job though but i'd got a better offer from other company.Cheers!

Last edited:
wah very high salary..more than 6k per month...got available vacancy ??i want work...

Bro,i used to work for load control dept with SQ doing weight & balance in SG.So far,only flew in/out from India for loadmaster during the cutover of a new sector.Have to train other stations staff that don't have the particular aircraft type's lic.Quite an interesting job though but i'd got a better offer from other company.Cheers!

one of my working collegue is from SQ he is previous from customer service....
weight & balance for which aircraft? back in our dept we do all, from build-up to weight & balance......cargo load/off load.. all lah....

mate that means you travel with aircraft.....SG=>IN, ok wat doing station training...not so hectic.....more relex.....but as a ramp agent we normally seek more challenge,more stress....then we only feel satisfy.......:angry_smile:

my salary not high lah, low onli....but our airline cert is HIGH...
so have to learn cari makan with our weight & balance cert, DG cert.. alot lah..
we got about 7-10 cert some certified by FAA... only god knows how we suffer in stress about work...

Hey bro, want to ask u some questions. When u were working for SQ, how do u cooperate with flight ops? The captains will decide on how much fuel he needs for that flight rite, and more for holding due weather or traffic. And I assume u do the weight and balance after all the luggages are loaded, with number of passengers x average weight? So how does all these put together. Thanks.

Hey bro, want to ask u some questions. When u were working for SQ, how do u cooperate with flight ops? The captains will decide on how much fuel he needs for that flight rite, and more for holding due weather or traffic. And I assume u do the weight and balance after all the luggages are loaded, with number of passengers x average weight? So how does all these put together. Thanks.

bro, my fren say we plan & give ZFW captain will decide. SQ captain will reqst weather themself...we plan 1st for avaliable passenger & luggs vs. not check in passenger & luggs for estimate.
after closing we give estimated ZFW to captain decide for extra TAXI needed....

thanks bro for your answers. Any idea if the 777 or all other airliners out there has a system to show the AUW on ground? Are u with SQ or MH?

thanks bro for your answers. Any idea if the 777 or all other airliners out there has a system to show the AUW on ground? Are u with SQ or MH?

sorry bro, dunno whats AUW. :confused_smile:

im with FX doing cargo. how about you bro?

Jasper,
Usually when the tech crew reports at flt ops,they will have a look at the flight plan and if there's not a problem(nice weather),they will proceed with the flight plan fuel which already have the EZFW & ETOW on it.As i know,SQ account an adult passenger as 77kg,child as 45kg and infant as 10kg.I'm no longer with SQ and am with DHL.If i'm not wrong,the AUW you meant is the estimated total weight in the cockpit system.Are you taking up PPL?Cheers!

minicooper2u,
Bro,you're with FX and i'm your rival,DHL :P Anyway,i have a friend with FX in SG,got to do everything.Anyway,i would prefer to do a freighter flight as all are dead stuffs...and not like passenger...suddenly have to do LMC or delay due no show....so...freighter flight is my choice...once you'd done your planning,you're done.Just got to prepare for the ppwk.Cheers!

Jasper,
Usually when the tech crew reports at flt ops,they will have a look at the flight plan and if there's not a problem(nice weather),they will proceed with the flight plan fuel which already have the EZFW & ETOW on it.As i know,SQ account an adult passenger as 77kg,child as 45kg and infant as 10kg.I'm no longer with SQ and am with DHL.If i'm not wrong,the AUW you meant is the estimated total weight in the cockpit system.Are you taking up PPL?Cheers!

minicooper2u,
Bro,you're with FX and i'm your rival,DHL :P Anyway,i have a friend with FX in SG,got to do everything.Anyway,i would prefer to do a freighter flight as all are dead stuffs...and not like passenger...suddenly have to do LMC or delay due no show....so...freighter flight is my choice...once you'd done your planning,you're done.Just got to prepare for the ppwk.Cheers!

bro, well said & explained, i just join year 2006..previously i was customer service.
no fun there so i job change to ramp....here is more challenge & hectic, all in man.
ha....you know SG FX ppl, yeah you are right....FX ramp do everything.......
yeah at our side planning is important & weight ULD must accurate..
plane block out... we happy.... if RTB..... :cry_smile:
i got friend in DHL too bro, but he (EX FX)is in Trace dept & one short malay chap (EX FX too) was in the customer care dept....& went to OCBC.

JasperSSP : You from where lah?

our favouite qoute here is :
Kasi Jalan Sudah, kasi Print sudah... & main main keja.

how about your side bro?

Greyrex and minicooper2u,

I'm taking CPL/IR in aus now with SQ. I find your jobs very interesting and didn't know u guys do weight and balance as well. Must be much better working for freighter than pax. Less delays, less 'political' and no 'late passengers'.

AUW that I mean is All Up Weight, I don't know if that's an official term. It just means ramp weight. It's been a long time since I did my loading theory.

Cheers.

Jas,wish you all the best in your course and good luck bro.A few of my friends are with SQ too...and you'll be amused...a few of them track kaki in sepang especially during a long break.Anyway,weight & balance...a very interesting job scope.You'll be head hunted if you're good and honest.Bro cooper,do the best you can and you'll never know,you'll be very marketable.Trust me bro!Cheers and all the best.

Thanks greyrex. I'm finishing my training in Perth in 1 month time, hopefully. I would think there would be a lot of track kaki in SQ. One of my coursemates, used to be a civic kaki in Philip island, melbourne. He is already asking me to join him next time in sepang. Haha.. we'll see. Don't even know can make it or not. There is always a change of being kicked out, I'm sure your friends would have told u. It's so stressful. All the best to u as well. So u are based in DHL singapore?

Jas, whats CPL/IP man? i know the value of the weight & balance cert...thats why i come all the way from PJ-=>KLIA (almost 1hr drive) fuuuu....
cargo freigher normall got no problem, unless you meet crew with diffrent head.
all the best in your CPL/IP !
AUW = All Up Weight, is it the same as final weight/total load?

greyrex bro, im still new here & just got 1 year experience...so far no head hunter looking for me yet, i doubt they will not because i'm crazy!

Last edited:
I'm based in SG currently.Do have plans to go back to MY DHL later but looks like SG is offering a better benefit compared to MY.Yeah...i'd with SQ since 1998.Joined SQ since i was around 18 as an operation assistant before promoted to loadmaster.Anyway...happy flying and rexxing.Hope to catch up with you guys when in KL.Cheers!

bro, if i were you i'll stay in SG man.....nice place, good money.
happy working....

Bro,working anywhere is the same..important is you're satisfy and happy with your work.You can earn high pay but kena left/right everyday is meaningless.This is my opinion.Anyway..i'm happy with DHL as it's totally a different type of enviroment as it's an EU company.If you're interested in Dubai,let me know.I was offered but i didn't want to take it.Pay is around DHM10k which is RM10k(rough-rough).Which part of KL you stay?Maybe we can meet up as usually i'll stay in cheras(aunt's place) or sunway area(hangout) with my friends.Cheers!

Last edited:
Jas, whats CPL/IP man? i know the value of the weight & balance cert...thats why i come all the way from PJ-=>KLIA (almost 1hr drive) fuuuu....
cargo freigher normall got no problem, unless you meet crew with diffrent head.
all the best in your CPL/IP !
AUW = All Up Weight, is it the same as final weight/total load?

greyrex bro, im still new here & just got 1 year experience...so far no head hunter looking for me yet, i doubt they will not because i'm crazy!

CPL/IR is Commercial Pilot's License with Instrument Rating. Yea, I guess it's the same. Not too sure. And working in SG doesn't mean good money man. Houses and cars here are so ex. The price of cars are ok actually if u convert dollar to dollar, but it's insurance and the depreciation that kills u. It's more like saving the SD and convert it to RM and spend it in malaysia. Haha..

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom