Advice =)

adimerc

Jul 23, 2015
Selangor
Hi all
Sorry if this question already mention by others before this
I'm thinking of owning an airtrek n.a.
Just need some advice from any airtrek owners regarding :-
1- fuel consumption (most of the time driving in urban area)
2- regular/general maintenance cost
3- overhaul cost for engine @ gearbox @ halfcut cost

I know different owner will have different answer, but just to have some advice from u guys :smile:
p/s: owning a nice car is 1 thing, but maintaining it is a different thing..afford to buy doesn't mean afford to maintain..hehehe :laugh:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I don't own an Airtrek but I just wanna say that this is very good self advice :

owning a nice car is 1 thing, but maintaining it is a different thing..afford to buy doesn't mean afford to maintain
And 4G63 engines are generally not that expensive (comparatively with Euro cars) to maintain. NA imho will have better FC than the turbo but it's a 2.0L and the car is not light. So expect probably 8-10km/L FC.

But what would I know, I don't own an Airtrek

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Here are my answers to your questions.

1) FC - not sure cos mine is turbo and lightly modified. It hovers around 5.8-6.5km/L in city

2) Maintenance cost is pretty standard like any Japanese cars. Parts can easily be found. No worries here. If engine is healthy, it will be pretty problem free. Note that the car is old, hence you need to factor in repairs like engine mountings, drive shaft, bushings, aircond compressor etc.

3) Overhaul standard NA engine will be in the range of RM3-4K. Gearbox will be another RM3-4. If your NA engine is dead, advise you to get a turbo version and you'll enjoy the car even more.

Airtrek is pretty old car now. It has the space and reliability but look is dated. With the low 2nd hand price now, it's worth buying if you do not have a SUV. If you're into performance, then get a turbo version. Endless mods cos mostly what you can use in Evo can be used in Airtrek. I've been using mine for over 6 years now.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

I don't own an Airtrek but I just wanna say that this is very good self advice :

And 4G63 engines are generally not that expensive (comparatively with Euro cars) to maintain. NA imho will have better FC than the turbo but it's a 2.0L and the car is not light. So expect probably 8-10km/L FC.

But what would I know, I don't own an Airtrek
An owner weighs the car before at puspakom, it's standard turbo and weighs over 1600kgs. Yes it's pretty darn heavy.

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
body parts is easily get from chop shop.. there are few halfcut owner who concertrate on airtrek parts.. 1 in puchong and 2 at kuala selangor area.. price is slightly higher than before mainly because demand start to build up..

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
body parts is easily get from chop shop.. there are few halfcut owner who concertrate on airtrek parts.. 1 in puchong and 2 at kuala selangor area.. price is slightly higher than before mainly because demand start to build up..
But in my area seeing less and less airtrek dy.......:smokin:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
your area is an elite area.. so most of them already change with A45 AMG or Golf R or MPS.. :biggrin:
No lah! old town all mostly oldies....hahhaha:biggrin:
Used to have at least 3 nearby, now probably left my friend's hubby one....:smokin:

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
the car is kinda old already since its made from 2002 to 2005 (turbo model). Most of the owner dont want any extra attention to the car. its a 10 years old car, so indeed it need that extra attention.

adimerc

Jul 23, 2015
Selangor
Airtrek is pretty old car now. It has the space and reliability but look is dated. With the low 2nd hand price now, it's worth buying if you do not have a SUV. If you're into performance, then get a turbo version.
Thanx for the nice advice sir. Agree on the space and reliability and at the same time now its already under RM 40k for the 2nd hand value. So for someone like me airtrek is a car that can be consider hehe. A turbo one looks nicer for the appearence but I'm afraid I don't have much knowledge to take care a turbo car haha

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Yup to be honest when i was start wondering to have an airtrek suddenly a few people around are talking about it too..so maybe the price will start to going up after this hehe

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
adimerc,
How long you intention to keep the Airtrek?
If longer then 3 years probably you can consider the turbo version.
It will have enough power to drive around and overtaking.
Turbo version pretty much basic and you may learn in few weeks after owning the version.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Thanx for the nice advice sir. Agree on the space and reliability and at the same time now its already under RM 40k for the 2nd hand value. So for someone like me airtrek is a car that can be consider hehe. A turbo one looks nicer for the appearence but I'm afraid I don't have much knowledge to take care a turbo car haha

You don't need special knowledge to take care of turbo cars. Keep it running like original, the maintenance is like NA car.

But the problem is your hand will start to itch and the stock power won't be enough for you. That is when you'll learn new things... hehehe...

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
the car is kinda old already since its made from 2002 to 2005 (turbo model). Most of the owner dont want any extra attention to the car. its a 10 years old car, so indeed it need that extra attention.
My VR is 1991 model, 2002 considered very new......lol:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

You don't need special knowledge to take care of turbo cars. Keep it running like original, the maintenance is like NA car.

But the problem is your hand will start to itch and the stock power won't be enough for you. That is when you'll learn new things... hehehe...
Join you or ask you more then kena poison loh.....hhahhahahhah:rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Helo, all sifu. I am newbie in car, please help me out please. I am driving toyota corolla AE110 limited editon and previously i drive reach 120km/h & above, i heard nothing. Last month i found out that my car is "eating" the engine oil so i go and change the valve seal and the problem solve. After done the valve seal i got reach to 120km/h & above. i got heard no sound at all, since last week once i reach 120km/h i heard beep sound inside the car. i have no idea what is it, where is it come...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience